Home Opener (vs. Stoke), 15 Aug, 15:00 BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Really, what do you see to celebrate?
Genuine question, as I don't get it.

One rabona doesn't cut it for me
I think he has great skill and excellent vision with special eye for beautiful assist. I also think he's not positioned right in our layout and has extremely low confidence.
I am positive he's gonna be a great player someday, maybe not for us and maybe not in England

had to find the most prominent totty forum after that performance...first time poster. Ive always tried to give Lamela the benefit of the doubt as he was/is young...in retrospect MP should have probably inserted Trippier wide right to provide a bit more of the defensive presence to close out the game.
I can certainly see the reasoning behind people suggesting Lamela only plays centrally when inserted. However, the way we rotate those 3 attacking mid positions he would certainly find himself out wide on many occasion anyways. As a guy who played the majority of my days at LM/LB I cant help but be absolutely appalled at the atrocious angles he takes closing down in the corner areas with Walker and both boundaries around him. Lastly whenever he gets himself stuck in at all he puts his hands up like he's playing defense in basketball. This only ever attracts the referees attention even more and he gives up soft fouls. he's an attacking mid but you must provide SOMETHING going the other way, he's a professional after all.
'inserted'

I think he has great skill and excellent vision with special eye for beautiful assist. I also think he's not positioned right in our layout and has extremely low confidence.
I am positive he's gonna be a great player someday, maybe not for us and maybe not in England
Its probably for the best if he does move on. The idiots will need someone to blame for us not finishing top 4 and its looking like him and Poch will take the fall.

You knew we needed a striker? Wow, you're a fucking genius.
Not really. Thats the problem. It didnt take a genius to see it. We all saw it.
It was a priority last summer when some of us new Soldado was fucking shit and would not simply come good....oh..look...no new striker

I've been saying that for at least two years.
Yet are still too much of a soppy little bitch to acknowledge, yet again, we fucked up

But it is what it is, you can either except the reality of the situation. Or you can be a whiny little bitch; blame the players, the management, the owners, other fans and cry like a little baby every week. It is clear which path you choose to take.
Hmmm, havent blamed any fans for not signing a striker, and I cry like a baby because Im angry about it. You dont seem to mind though...what a good boy you are...
And yes, I blame Levy for his continual cluster fuck that has, again, seen us drop points at the start, that will cost us at the end. who else should I blame for our transfer policy?

Ive actually backed Poch and pointed out he has been let down. Happy clapping cunts wanted "PROOF!!!!!!!" of that. Well today was proof of that.
But Poch made grave errors...again...with his destruction of our shape and balance today.

Ive praised the whole team in this thread today bar Bentaleb and Lamela. Maybe you think they deserve some credit, then good for you.

Im proud Im on a different path than you. You are fucking clueless and deluded.

I'm going to try to stick to some positives, so I apologize in advance if that offends anyone.

- Dier really continues to be a surprise in a positive way. It really helps having another big body in the middle of the field. Really paid off on the corner kick today. He has a knack for free kick goals.

- Mason looked excellent. His forward runs into the box were a plus, unlucky to score, and you have to love the willingness to throw his body into tackles and in front of shots. Great box to box play from him today.

- Chadli really woke up after his goal. Frustrating player at times, but he really can influence a game when he's feeling it.

- Nice to see Davies get forward on Chadli's goal. You can tell he's hesitant to bomb forward because he lacks the pace to get back, but he still needs to get forward. It was a great cross.

- Kane, I said it earlier. The box score won't show the influence he had on the game. Could have had 2 assist and a goal on a luckier day

- Dembele - it took awhile but it seems like he's really trying to get on the front foot. Bonus that he latest the entire 90 today. When was the last time that happend?

The disappointing:

Bentaleb - Not sure what's going on here. Such a bright player last season. I'm not sure if he's trying to do too much out there, but he's been extremely careless and caught out of position. Hopefully this improves, because with Mason's lack of fitness, Dier is our most dependable CM at this moment. Scary stuff.

Toby - such a disappointing penalty to give away. Totally unnecessary. Still think he and Jan will be an excellent partnership, but in that situation you expect better.

Lamela - it's all been said. Yikes. But it's not his fault we lost today. People are using him as a scapegoat.
----------------------------------------

I Stil see a lot of people blaming Poch. He got the Lamela substation wrong no doubt, but I'm not sure what his other option was when Kane had to come off. If we had another striker on the bench. He would move up top, Chadli on the right and Lamela isn't the train wreck we saw today.

Also, 2 goals up vs Stoke at home. The players need to take some accountability. To me this one is on them. Totally broke down after Toby's penalty.

I agree with pretty much everything, but just to add about the substitutions ...
I understand the Kane subbing, but ... Imo, Dier should have been subbed (instead of suppose, Mason). We wouldn't have then lost 2 leaders on the pitch, and Dier was looking tried and knackered. That small change imo, played a big role in the result.

Its probably for the best if he does move on. The idiots will need someone to blame for us not finishing top 4 and its looking like him and Poch will take the fall.

the issue for me is we conceded two goals rather not having killed off the game 3-1. I don't understand the logic that a 2 goal lead is insufficient. The problem lies defensively .Lamela makes an utter fool of himself but i am still asking for direct evidence he cost us the game.Alderweireld conceded a penalty while stoke whipped in a cross from the left flank to score the second, hence speculatively the defensive liability is either at right back, or whoever should be martially right central midfield, which i believe is eric dier. Once again speculation that will be resolved when we see the replays on MOTD or something.

Not really. Thats the problem. It didnt take a genius to see it. We all saw it.
It was a priority last summer when some of us new Soldado was fucking shit and would not simply come good....oh..look...no new striker

Yet are still too much of a soppy little bitch to acknowledge, yet again, we fucked up

Hmmm, havent blamed any fans for not signing a striker, and I cry like a baby because Im angry about it. You dont seem to mind though...what a good boy you are...
And yes, I blame Levy for his continual cluster fuck that has, again, seen us drop points at the start, that will cost us at the end. who else should I blame for our transfer policy?

Ive actually backed Poch and pointed out he has been let down. Happy clapping cunts wanted "PROOF!!!!!!!" of that. Well today was proof of that.
But Poch made grave errors...again...with his destruction of our shape and balance today.

Ive praised the whole team in this thread today bar Bentaleb and Lamela. Maybe you think they deserve some credit, then good for you.

Im proud Im on a different path than you. You are fucking clueless and deluded.
Yeah, it must be great being in your position Sammy.
"I back the manager, but he is error prone" I back Levy but he is fucking the team up".
Win - I told you I backed them
Lose or draw - I told you they were making errors. It Levy;s fault this week... oh no Poch's this week.
The sad thing is you can't even see how stupid your position is. Yes, you can never be wrong becaus you cover all bases, but also, you are always wrong because you cover all bases.
What was your genius solution anyay - sign the Chelsea squad wasn't it? Fucking muppet

at this point, i've had it with lamela. would be fine if he never made another appearance for us ever again. what the fuck did he do when he came on other than run around and give away needless fouls? when he first came here, i was filled with excitement everytime he got the ball. now, i just want him to release it as soon as he gets it because more often than not, he loses it

all our attacking threat disappeared as soon as kane was taken off and that just shows our desperation for at least one more striker to share the attacking burden with kane. i think the 2 points dropped today is down to poch's bad call to sub kane off

I am sure he will be too, he was pretty good at Roma to be honest. Just dont think he is cut out for this league plus I cant see his confidence coming back at all, once thats gone, your stuffed!

the issue for me is we conceded two goals rather not having killed off the game 3-1. I don't understand the logic that a 2 goal lead is insufficient. The problem lies defensively .Lamela makes an utter fool of himself but i am still asking for direct evidence he cost us the game.Alderweireld conceded a penalty while stoke whipped in a cross from the left flank to score the second, hence speculatively the defensive liability is either at right back, or whoever should be martially right central midfield, which i believe is eric dier. Once again speculation that will be resolved when we see the replays on MOTD or something.
Or we could blame Kane and Mason for missing their chances. Or we could just say that we were playing a decent team and shit happens. No point turning on the team and manager over it

The sub was bad, because it messed up the entire lineup. Taking out Kane that early, was not a good idea since it forced 3 or 4 players to shift their position. Ireland bossed the game when he came on and Diouf had a few dangerous headers, it seemed like a matter of time, especially when they got the lucky pen.

We all know how this ends , the fans will hound poch out of the job by November and onto the next one , with Teflon Dan off Scott free

Because he didn't do anything helpful. As a attacking player who loves dribbling, I expect him to run at defence with the ball. See Chelsea Hazard. Attack is the best form of defence.

I agree with pretty much everything, but just to add about the substitutions ...
I understand the Kane subbing, but ... Imo, Dier should have been subbed (instead of suppose, Mason). We wouldn't have then lost 2 leaders on the pitch, and Dier was looking tried and knackered. That small change imo, played a big role in the result.

I have to guess that Mason is 100% up to fitness. Both Dier and Mason looked tired.

I would have been fine with Dier coming off and leaving Mason on.

Still the most disappointing thing to me was Bentaleb not being able to take control of the midfield. I was expecting him to take a big step this season. So far he hasn't shown any progress, if anything regression.

Yeah, it must be great being in your position Sammy.
"I back the manager, but he is error prone" I back Levy but he is fucking the team up".
Win - I told you I backed them
Lose or draw - I told you they were making errors.

The sad thing is you can't even see how stupid your position is. Yes, you can never be wrong becaus you cover all bases, but also, you are always wrong because you cover all bases.
What was your genius solution anyay - sign the Chelsea squad wasn't it? Fucking muppet

The sad thing is that you cant praise someone and give them critique.

"I back the manager, but he is error prone" I 100% stand by that.

Whats your view? "I back the manager so hes my BFF xxxxxxxx"

It Levy;s fault this week... oh no Poch's this week.
Last week, as this week, both Levy and Poch share the blame.
Levy for not signing players we desperately need.
Poch for making bad decisions with the players he has got. It wasnt Pochs fault we dont have a striker.
But it wasnt Levys fault we took off Mason, and used Lamela instead of Alli.

You genuinely dont get it. laughable.

Yes, you can never be wrong becaus you cover all bases, but also, you are always wrong because you cover all bases.
I admitted I was wrong about Mason in this very thread...you are so obsessed with wrong and right, its fucking tragic.

My solution was to sign a striker, winger and DM in time for the season start. Three key positions to improve the first team.

Back
Top Bottom