Home Opener (vs. Stoke), 15 Aug, 15:00 BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

in all seriousness, these are the types of matches we have to make sure we win. Losing at home to the Stokes and the Newcastles cost us the 6 points we needed to break into the top 4. Really need results against these smaller teams at home.

Personally I would go for something like this:

Some serious work rate in the middle of the park. Still concerned about not pace in the wide areas. Assuming Rose is still injured also?

evMzSHf.jpg

Bench: Vorm, Trippier, Wimmer, Dier, Lamela, Pritchard, Dembele

Pritchard has only just come back from an ankle injury, it's a little early to suggest he should be starting his first every Premier League game...

Personally I would go for something like this:

Some serious work rate in the middle of the park. Still concerned about not pace in the wide areas. Assuming Rose is still injured also?

evMzSHf.jpg

Bench: Vorm, Trippier, Wimmer, Dier, Lamela, Pritchard, Dembele
Mason, Alli and Bentaleb may struggle with the physicality of Stoke through the middle.

[formation="4231, Lloris, Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose, Mason, Bentaleb, Pritchard, Eriksen, Chadli, Kane"][/formation]

I think Pritchard would be perfect to start in this game. We're lacking pace and someone who will run at the Stoke defence and whip some balls in. I don't think Dembele had a bad game against United and would be happy if he did start. Stoke know how to cause us issues so we need to be with it from the off.

If we could bring in Njie' or Berahino before the squads need to be registered then that would change my line up massively.
Pritchard isn't particulary quick.

Back 5 picks itself.

I'd play Dier in defensive midfield again, we will need him on set pieces. I'd start Bentaleb again too but not as a defensive midfielder. Then Eriksen as 3 midfielder.

I don't know who to pick for the wide forwards/wingers, it seems we have few if any good options.

Edit: Perhaps it was worth a try to play Walker as right winger and Démbélé as left winger. Neither overly creative, but can cross, are very quick and aggressive to run with the ball.

We miss pace badly, and also intelligent movement in front of the ball. Kane can't do it all on his own

Last edited:
in all seriousness, these are the types of matches we have to make sure we win. Losing at home to the Stokes and the Newcastles cost us the 6 points we needed to break into the top 4. Really need results against these smaller teams at home.
Agreed.

... which could also be said about the points we piss away in august, because we don't want to buy needed players until last moment.

Dier to kick the shit out of Charlie Adam is all I want to see

I think this is something everyone would love to see. To be fair, Dier had an alright game against Utd. Not the easiest game to play your first match a DM against. He could definitely do a job against Stoke as we lack the physical presence in there. All he his to do is win the ball back and give it to someone who can do something with the ball.

C
could not agree more, every team slips up at home now and again to 'lesser' teams ...:adelol:woolwich !! But it's been happening on a far to consistent basis for us. So frustrating when we put in performances like we did last season against the chavs and woolwich only to lose at home to stoke. We've got the talent to beat anyone on our day and we have to turn the lane into a fucking fortress. Roll on Saturday....let's smash em

Never thought I'd be saying this after watching preseason matches, but Dier is a must start for me.

Like many have said above, we need that physical presence in the center. I'm guessing the same lineup vs ManU will start.

Our pressing game worked very well vs ManU but Harry was still far too isolated.

Although we'd have still been behind Man Utd by about 30goals difference so, we needed a point at OT to turn that around. But it's ok to lose there.

I think Stoke, Newcastle and Palace are all going to be tougher - we only need 5pts from 18 out of them to better last year though!

Although we'd have still been behind Man Utd by about 30goals difference so, we needed a point at OT to turn that around. But it's ok to lose there.

I think Stoke, Newcastle and Palace are all going to be tougher - we only need 5pts from 18 out of them to better last year though!

even tougher when we are coming off a long haul flight from somewhere in siberia, with little to no rotation, with pochettino acting like he dosen't know why we are losing 1-0 to the likes of west brom at WHL

What I would like:
[formation=4231, Lloris, Walker, Toby, Vertonghen, Rose, Alli, Dembele, Trippier, Eriksen, Chadli, Kane][/formation]

What we will get:
[formation=4231, Lloris, Walker, Toby, Vertonghen, Davies, Eeyore, Dobbin, Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli, Kane] [/formation]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom