Home Opener (vs. Stoke), 15 Aug, 15:00 BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should have been Alli for Kane.

Dembele was playing very well on the right, Eriksen was playing well on the left. Should have put Chadli up front and Alli just infront of Mason and Dier. The best thing about Alli is that he's direct and fast on the ball, we missed that in the second half.

This was a bummer. I thought in the first half we were finally showing the style that Poch has been trying implement. Pressing high and winning the ball high up the field keeping the pressure on. The second half we came out playing not to lose rather than sticking with what was working. We sat back and invited the pressure when I think we would have been better served by staying the course.

Last edited:
Maybe we don't all take it as seriously as you do mate?

Spurs are important to me, I watch every game I can, go when I can and am elated when we win and disappointed when we drop points, but I have a life, I've got a kid and a wife and a house and a job, and at the end of the day (gonna sound like my Mrs now) it's only football, and only the second game of a long long season at that.

I take it seriously for what it is. I dont smack my bird around or smash up a shop cos we lost either.

But you´re in or you´re out as far as Im concerned. I dont invest emotionally when it suits me, laud all the triumph but when its shit Im like "aahhh whatever".

It hurts, Im angry and Im in it for life....despite the fact I also have a job. Weird point to make.

You might be able to switch off, then go right ahead and enjoy the season, even if we end up treading water again.

I´ll be fuming if we continue to do the same old shit, and I´ll be moved to tears if we finally get it right and achieve.

You can continue to be like "Meh...I got work on Monday" all you like. I really dont care.

Is "happy clapper" the knee-jerk melts getting their revenge?

Is slagging off players but ending it with "I'd love for him to prove me wrong I'll hold my hands up" etc the justification for being a fair-weather fan?

dont u think some of the things people get called a melt for are really pathetic.
those accusers are so hard to debate with as they are so dramatic & over sensitive.

u dont know what criticism u can say without hurting there feelings & causing them to get angry at u.
its like dealing with an emotional teenage american girl.

i dont know what criticism u can say without offending the drama queens.
i wonder if these people are the same in real life. they cant handle any criticism.
it would make more sense if that were true.

how to put this?

we were terrible 2nd half. poch made some poor decisions. levy has let us down with incomings & we are very underprepared for this season. & lamela was poo.
what did u just say u melting bitch?!!!

i said...
we were average 2nd half. poch made some average decisions. levy could have done a lil bit better with incomings & we are a bit underprepared for this season. & lamela was average.
shut up u melting melvin.

sorry. i was just saying...
we were unlucky 2nd half & would have won if stoke were oldham. poch made some great decisions but hughes is tactically 1 of the best in the game . levy has done well with incomings. do u know how hard is to sign a player?!! its like eating a doughnut without licking your lips. & we have a good chance for top 4 this season. & lamela did his bestest. & he really influenced the game....next time it will be for us.

I hope we do keep playing Dembele further forward.

This is going to be a perfect season for me.

Finally, after decades of posting the same thing, I get my style of squad.

Big gut busting striker with good awareness and accuracy. Dembele FINNALLLLLY played in an advanced role. Solid brave beasts like Bentalre, Mason, Walker, Dier etc. kept faith in Jan and he has a partner. Davies is getting better cover from midfield. Eriksen freed up.

It's like all my Christmases came. Loving the look of Trippier. Rose turned into a phenomenal athlete. Wimmer looking a solid buy. More steel.

Bad influences like Lennon gone. Ade put out of his/our mystery...

COME ON DEMBELE!!! I've backed you for years to be a beast up front.

I honestly thought Poch was dumb. Making Lennon captain, playing the softest wings in the prem. No shape, subbing Townsend or Soldado on to get goals etc etc etc. playing Chiriches in defense...

He's really tuned into his squad. He's making a believer out of me. I hardly ever flip flop. So for me to change an opinion is...strangely sexual.

First home game of the season!!

1314185416_nobones_dance.gif

As bad as Lamela is, it is pathetic some of you are making him a scapegoat. We conceded two goals, i didnt quite catch what contributed to them, other than the penalty but we have picked up from last season. An own goal at old trafford to lose 1-0, more defensive problems when we played the MLS all stars and now we lose a 2 goal lead

Poch cost us this game!
His subs were fucking awful.

I understand why subbing Kane, but then putting Eriksen out wide? FFS, Poch!!!!

Plus, Lamela is shit ... what does he bring in? Constantly fouls and mis-passes.
I'm tried of defending that guy.

:walker-scream:

Thoughts of the day:

1. Eriksen & Kane in the first half was :)
2. #LamelaOut
3. Kane gets a calf upset and we have nobody to replace him. Ultimately I think this helped us lose 3 points today so I hope Levy is happy. Quite literally what we've all been saying ALL pre-season.
4. Personally thought Alderweireld was unlucky to give away the penalty, seemed clear he lost control of his body from momentum of a hard / fast run.
5. Mason was awesome, keep telling us how mediocre he is.
6. Dier had a good game too.

So we're going to blame Levy here eh? Man, I'd love to know what it'll take for some people on here to take Poch's cock out of their mouths. Bad tactics and choices cost us this match far more than the failure to replace Soldado and Adebayor (who technically still plays for us lets not forget).

Yes Poch should take some of the blame for the subs but to absolve Levy of blame for not get any strikers for the start of the season is madness, our team shape stopped working when Kane our only recongised striker went off and that is Levys fault end of story.

I wanna know why being pissed off at losing a 2-0 lead is seen as MELTING or KNEE-JERK?
We've been doing it for YEARS... if this was the first time it had ever happened, and it meant losing our 100% winning home record stretching back to 1984 then I would agree... maybe a little rash...
but we've been short of killer instinct and a winning mentality for what seems like DECADES...
4-0 against QPR this time last year is merely papering over the cracks.
When teams wanna have a real go at us, we let them, have done for longer than some board members on here have been alive...

WHY IS THAT STILL THE CASE?

If we don't bring in another out to out striker beside N'Jie, better prepare to bring Ade back into the fold. If someone as shit as Lamela could play, then Ade should also be playing too.

Back
Top Bottom