Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And some people, many, many Spurs fans wank over Sane. Take a look at what we have, stop thinking other players are better, open your eyes, this team is stacked with quality players and Son is one of them!
I really rate sane going to be a fantastic player but son edging it at the momen.

That 4th goal. We should really go for The CL if we keep playing
I really rate sane going to be a fantastic player but son edging it at the momen.
Sane taller than Son but Son shoots better on right or left foot. Sane definitely doesn't have a military timer though

A.lot of people say Son is bound for military in couple of yrs but I would be surprised if that indeed happens

Does anyone know if he'll definitely need to do military service. Surely a superstar like him will get away with just keeping to his day job

Well, it's the Korean national rule that all men need to go to army by the age of 27.. There are some exceptions but Son doesnt meet any. He really needs to win the Asian Games this year... Spurs doesnt need to let him go for it as it's not a FIFA tournament, but It would be beneficial for both sides anyway. Fuck Leverkusen. He wouldve won exemption already if they let him go in the past.

Only ways to get exemption without breaking any rules:

1. Win a medal in Olympics
2. Win the GOLD medal in Asian Games.

Players who played in WC 2002 got "special" exemptions, but that will never happen again due to "unfairness" to players for other sports.

There are some legal but immoral ways of delaying it.. But Son will get a shit ton of criticisms if he does. PCY (Korean striker) got a green card from Monoco to do it before and even tho he was a hero back then, he became one of the most hated ppl there.. Funny thing is, PCY managed to get an exemption later on by winning a medal in the Olympics lol..

I am Korean myself, btw.

Last edited:
Just searched when the Asian games actually are (18 August to 2 September 2018). If son goes he’s going to be burnt out as fuck after two tournaments in one summer!

Although agree with Dogecoin Dogecoin that it’s definitely within the interest of all parties if he goes. Annoyingly this issue should have been put to bed at the 2016 olympics where they only need a bronze for exemption, but I think South Korea got knocked out in the QF by someone like Honduras. Feel free to correct me!

Well, it's the Korean national rule that all men need to go to army by the age of 27.. There are some exceptions but Son doesnt meet any. He really needs to win the Asian Games this year... Spurs doesnt need to let him go for it as it's not a FIFA tournament, but It would be beneficial for both sides anyway. Fuck Leverkusen. He wouldve won exemption already if they let him go in the past.

Only ways to get exemption without breaking any rules:

1. Win a medal in Olympics
2. Win the GOLD medal in Asian Games.

Players who played in WC 2002 got "special" exemptions, but that will never happen again due to "unfairness" to players for other sports.

There are some legal but immoral ways of delaying it.. But Son will get a shit ton of criticisms if he does. PCY (Korean striker) got a green card from Monoco to do it before and even tho he was a hero back then, he became one of the most hated ppl there.. Funny thing is, PCY managed to get an exemption later on by winning a medal in the Olympics lol..

I am Korean myself, btw.

You dont have to go as far to Levercusen for blaming for Son's current military predicament. Fuck ex Korean national team manager Hong. Better yet fuck KFA. Dont get me started there fucking low and embarrassing and lol. I am not saying Son might do the same but I've seen some Korean footballers who got exempted of military then for some reason just stop getting better. So I opt to just enjoy and appreciate what I see in Sonny, Sonaldo, Heung Min Messi every chance these days. What's happening in this Club is pretty intriguing too. The stadium, coach, players, the team, pay structure and the league etc.

The military thing for Sonny, I am not in his camp looking into this matter nor anyone paying me for an idea, so all I will say at this point is that I'll be surprised if Son actually indeed end up in Military in 24 months like many including you and I worry that might happen. Many things can happen in 24 months. I think you said it yourself somewhere.. the "special exemption". Lets look at that one for lack of better. These special exemtion are based on individuals in these case athletes achieving outstanding goals worldwide hence elevating Korean national prestige. What if Son didnt hit the Gold in one of those events left for him but truly excelled at Spurs and contributed the club win the CL in tremendous amount and the way club won the CL was so fantastic and dramatic in recent footbal history that the whole world looks at Heung Min Son and the county he came from a bit differently. Would that qualify for elevating national prestige for Korea? If that didn't hit it yet are we getting warm enough to stir up something? Coincidentally I just ran into this article from a Korean media that I think is angling towards it. [EPL] 손흥민의 활약에, 현지중계는 '태극기'를 비췄다 | 다음스포츠

You dont have to go as far to Levercusen for blaming for Son's current military predicament. Fuck ex Korean national team manager Hong. Better yet fuck KFA. Dont get me started there fucking low and embarrassing and lol. I am not saying Son might do the same but I've seen some Korean footballers who got exempted of military then for some reason just stop getting better. So I opt to just enjoy and appreciate what I see in Sonny, Sonaldo, Heung Min Messi every chance these days. What's happening in this Club is pretty intriguing too. The stadium, coach, players, the team, pay structure and the league etc.

The military thing for Sonny, I am not in his camp looking into this matter nor anyone paying me for an idea, so all I will say at this point is that I'll be surprised if Son actually indeed end up in Military in 24 months like many including you and I worry that might happen. Many things can happen in 24 months. I think you said it yourself somewhere.. the "special exemption". Lets look at that one for lack of better. These special exemtion are based on individuals in these case athletes achieving outstanding goals worldwide hence elevating Korean national prestige. What if Son didnt hit the Gold in one of those events left for him but truly excelled at Spurs and contributed the club win the CL in tremendous amount and the way club won the CL was so fantastic and dramatic in recent footbal history that the whole world looks at Heung Min Son and the county he came from a bit differently. Would that qualify for elevating national prestige for Korea? If that didn't hit it yet are we getting warm enough to stir up something? Coincidentally I just ran into this article from a Korean media that I think is angling towards it. [EPL] 손흥민의 활약에, 현지중계는 '태극기'를 비췄다 | 다음스포츠

There is news of Son getting an enhanced contract, surely if he had to do military service in 24 months we wouldn't even be considering giving him a longer contract? :levyeyes:
Let's hope he doesn't have to go, or at least let him delay it for a few years?

Sane's a terrific player. Son is better. Last year he blew him out of the water, the two are both playing well this year, it's just Son has more to his game, more variation, more freedom in the 3 behind Kane, ultimately the difference is down to the fact he's a genuinely two footed baller and Sane isn't.

Watch Son checking on the options for a pass before he receives the ball, smart, smart footballer. May only be a small thing but this is the difference between a Bolassi or a Zaha, all our forwards/AM's show this awareness before they receive the ball.

Much like Kane has more than earned the right to shoot whenever he wants, I feel that Son has earned the right to be a bit greedy now and again. So often he seems to make a goal out of nothing or score at key moments, it’s worth the risk of losing the ball or overlooking a better option.

I think yesterday was a perfect blend for Son in terms of pace, possession, vision, passing and work ethic. Too much to ask for such a performance every time out, but his ceiling just keeps getting higher.

Back
Top Bottom