Have we signed Miralem Pjanić yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Paulinho and Dembele aren't quite direct enough. Excellent box-to-box central midfielders, but they don't quite have the pace and footwork to get either themselves or a ball through small and unpredictable areas to get our top line in on goals. It's good enough for maybe top four, but it isn't good enough to be a top side.
I'd see them more as ticking over the play whilst the full backs bomb on and our (INSERTFANCYNEWWINGERS) do the cute through balls. Dembele showed glimpses of the cute little Modric like balls last year before his injury aswel i'd love to see that far more this year.

As of now, they're passing the ball to our wingers out wide, and usually just end up getting the ball back and the ball gets swung around. It's not enough forward play. I think we're a bit starry eyed with our shiny new players and it's being propped up a bit by the fact we haven't slipped yet, but we also have yet to play a truly quality team. In our current format, we will not score enough goals to make top four.
Townsend crossed to put in in for Paulinho and Soldado, Chadli for Soldado. Lennon won the penalty coming in off the wing to a crossing position, of sorts. If on Sunday we look shit and cant create, sure, I will back getting a creative player, Im just not sure right now. I like the swuad as is.

Who would you drop for the no10?

Assuming we're talking your lineup, Dembele. He and Paulinho are very similar while Sandro and Capoue are very similar. Those players will no doubt feature heavy rotation throughout all our competitions when everyone is healthy. In a perfect midfield lineup for us, I'd like to see Capoue playing the true holding CDM spot, Paulinho playing the box-to-box spot, and a true CAM (preferably Eriksen now given our options) to connect everything together. Their backups in Sandro, Dembele, and Holtby respectively (if they would even be backups in a true rotation system like it seems AVB wishes to employ), would be of little to no drop in talent. That midfield I would face against anyone on the planet with upmost confidence and even a shit eating grin on our face. In our current condition, I have my worries for our game at the Emirates in just over a week.

Townsend crossed to put in in for Paulinho and Soldado, Chadli for Soldado. Lennon won the penalty coming in off the wing to a crossing position, of sorts. If on Sunday we look shit and cant create, sure, I will back getting a creative player, Im just not sure right now. I like the swuad as is.

Did you watch any of the preseason games or the Palace game? There's a reason the post game articles were talking more about our general lack in creativity than our shiny new squad. Townsend and Chadli's crosses were great, but they were against Dinamo Tblisi. As I've said, they'll do okay and we'd finish pressing for top four, but with our current squad injected with just a bit more creativity centrally, IMO we would end up disappointed were we to finish fourth.

Did you watch any of the preseason games or the Palace game? There's a reason the post game articles were talking more about our general lack in creativity than our shiny new squad. Townsend and Chadli's crosses were great, but they were against Dinamo Tblisi. As I've said, they'll do okay and we'd finish pressing for top four, but with our current squad injected with just a bit more creativity centrally, IMO we would end up disappointed were we to finish fourth.
Pre season means fuck all. And we won against Palace. It should of been three or four nil but we missed clear cut chances. I see no problem with creativity. The finishing eas where it lacked. And my opinion on Chadli's cross is that he placed it so well that if anyone touched it, it would of gone in. That ball against anyone would be the same..

Assuming we're talking your lineup, Dembele. He and Paulinho are very similar while Sandro and Capoue are very similar. Those players will no doubt feature heavy rotation throughout all our competitions when everyone is healthy. In a perfect midfield lineup for us, I'd like to see Capoue playing the true holding CDM spot, Paulinho playing the box-to-box spot, and a true CAM (preferably Eriksen now given our options) to connect everything together. Their backups in Sandro, Dembele, and Holtby respectively (if they would even be backups in a true rotation system like it seems AVB wishes to employ), would be of little to no drop in talent. That midfield I would face against anyone on the planet with upmost confidence and even a shit eating grin on our face. In our current condition, I have my worries for our game at the Emirates in just over a week.
I loved the days when we had the Palacios Modric Van Der Vaart trio with Bale and Lennon being the proper by line hugging wingers and thriving off of Modric and VDV, Palacios just tinkering behind them adding the steel. That was fucking gorgeous football and fuck me if we had Vertongen, Sandro, Lloris and Soldado in that team................:gomes:. Anyhow I loved that formation, it suited our players. What we have now is an utter lack of talisman. No Modric VDV Bale (probably). For about five years now we have lacked depth on the wings, last year was ridiculous with Bale flowing everywhere. But probably we have available to us the best defensive platform in the league. Thats a horrid prospect to face :sandro::dembele::paulinho::capouestare:three of those. We need creative pace on the wings, Soldado thrives off any delivery, as a poacher he's world class, hopefully we cover up on the wings, don't see Chadli and Siggurdson as enough for that left wing. Think its pretty clear from the Willian attempts what we're after, a 10 that plays on the wing:gylfi:...:harryblow:but has pace and drive. Pretty hard thing to find.

Pre season means fuck all. And we won against Palace. It should of been three or four nil but we missed clear cut chances. I see no problem with creativity. The finishing eas where it lacked. And my opinion on Chadli's cross is that he placed it so well that if anyone touched it, it would of gone in. That ball against anyone would be the same..

Excuse it all you will, but we displayed the exact same semicircle approach we have in our two competitive games to date. The evidence is overwhelming. AVB managed to convince Daniel Levy to part with 30 million pounds on a player at the position, while Baldini was being sent to pursue Pjanic from Roma and rumors abounded about our interest in Eriksen. I can't believe people can watch what we've already seen and say it's enough. Soldado is barely getting any through balls. He's scored two PK's and on two crosses after Tbilisi were already mentally out of the game. He can be an absolute monster if he gets just a little more.

I loved the days when we had the Palacios Modric Van Der Vaart trio with Bale and Lennon being the proper by line hugging wingers and thriving off of Modric and VDV, Palacios just tinkering behind them adding the steel. That was fucking gorgeous football and fuck me if we had Vertongen, Sandro, Lloris and Soldado in that team................:gomes:. Anyhow I loved that formation, it suited our players. What we have now is an utter lack of talisman. No Modric VDV Bale (probably). For about five years now we have lacked depth on the wings, last year was ridiculous with Bale flowing everywhere. But probably we have available to us the best defensive platform in the league. Thats a horrid prospect to face :sandro::dembele::paulinho::capouestare:three of those. We need creative pace on the wings, Soldado thrives off any delivery, as a poacher he's world class, hopefully we cover up on the wings, don't see Chadli and Siggurdson as enough for that left wing. Think its pretty clear from the Willian attempts what we're after, a 10 that plays on the wing:gylfi:...:harryblow:but has pace and drive. Pretty hard thing to find.

See now I agree with all of this. Our current midfield, while featuring some excellent players at the moment, don't have those smaller and creative playmakers. Yes I'd love to see us bring in more quality wing cover, but for me that creative little fella is a priority first and foremost, so we can get that quality in on goal the most amount of times as possibly feasible. We'd be back to the fast, daring, exciting football we've come to expect from Spurs in recent years but lacked last year. The puzzle last season was partially finished as was, and so I didn't bang on about it. But now with the additions we've brought in and the ambition we've seen, why the fuck not go for the end product?!?!

Excuse it all you will, but we displayed the exact same semicircle approach we have in our two competitive games to date. The evidence is overwhelming. AVB managed to convince Daniel Levy to part with 30 million pounds on a player at the position, while Baldini was being sent to pursue Pjanic from Roma and rumors abounded about our interest in Eriksen. I can't believe people can watch what we've already seen and say it's enough. Soldado is barely getting any through balls. He's scored two PK's and on two crosses after Tbilisi were already mentally out of the game. He can be an absolute monster if he gets just a little more.
I do think that addition of spark and creativity is needed basically, just from the wing, as i've said thats hard to come by for less than £30 million if you believe the press. I'd be shocked if AVB bought another 10, atm the only guy being 'put out of a job' in our squad is Siggy, deploy a no10 and we get only two of :dembele::paulinho::sandroscream::capouestare::holtbytongue: per game. Just seems a waste of our current assets to buy a no10:levywtf:

Well considering even if we do buy anyone now they wont be able to play them. We can see what this team can do against a decent opposition in Swansea.

See now I agree with all of this. Our current midfield, while featuring some excellent players at the moment, don't have those smaller and creative playmakers. Yes I'd love to see us bring in more quality wing cover, but for me that creative little fella is a priority first and foremost, so we can get that quality in on goal the most amount of times as possibly feasible. We'd be back to the fast, daring, exciting football we've come to expect from Spurs in recent years but lacked last year. The puzzle last season was partially finished as was, and so I didn't bang on about it. But now with the additions we've brought in and the ambition we've seen, why the fuck not go for the end product?!?!
Think we're both roughly on the same wave length, as is every other Spurs fan on this, creativity is definitely needed. Think we will agree to disagree where:adebaehug:I do love the galavanting free flowing stuff but genuinely the prospect of the intensity a midfield trio of :paulinho::sandroscream::dembele: would bring makes me equally as hard:ledleylick:in a weird Sam Allerdycey kind of way

I do think that addition of spark and creativity is needed basically, just from the wing, as i've said thats hard to come by for less than £30 million if you believe the press. I'd be shocked if AVB bought another 10, atm the only guy being 'put out of a job' in our squad is Siggy, deploy a no10 and we get only two of :dembele::paulinho::sandroscream::capouestare::holtbytongue: per game. Just seems a waste of our current assets to buy a no10:levywtf:

I think all six of those players (including the five beautiful faces you've already put up + Eriksen for example) would still get plenty of playing time in AVB's system along with our ambitions in all competitions. They'd all even see plenty of league time. Love him or hate him, no one can dispute Sir Alex Ferguson's recipe for success. He had no such thing as a starting lineup. It pushes every player to give everything they possibly can every minute of training and every minute of every game, while also reinforcing camaraderie as it isn't necessarily an issue of "better" when each one's name is called for the start.

I agree, that imposing midfield sounds absolutely fantastic. It'd be a blast watching them stampede about on Chelsea's little playmakers. But unfortunately the reality is those little playmakers score goals and they create goals. Lots of goals. We need one (two including Holtby), and then IMO we can be absolutely confident of scoring goals against the stubborn Stokes and the quality Man City's on any day.

Also three years on this forum and thats the first "footballing discussion" I've had
I think all six of those players (including the five beautiful faces you've already put up + Eriksen for example) would still get plenty of playing time in AVB's system along with our ambitions in all competitions. They'd all even see plenty of league time. Love him or hate him, no one can dispute Sir Alex Ferguson's recipe for success. He had no such thing as a starting lineup. It pushes every player to give everything they possibly can every minute of training and every minute of every game, while also reinforcing camaraderie as it isn't necessarily an issue of "better" when each one's name is called for the start.

I agree, that imposing midfield sounds absolutely fantastic. It'd be a blast watching them stampede about on Chelsea's little playmakers. But unfortunately the reality is those little playmakers score goals and they create goals. Lots of goals. We need one (two including Holtby), and then IMO we can be absolutely confident of scoring goals against the stubborn Stokes and the quality Man City's on any day.
Completely agree once again that it's the spark we need. I just think the wings are where its gotta come from, not directly behind Soldado, IMO our wings are not as strong as our CM and thats where we need this investment in spark. Could'nt agree more about rotation, our squad as a whole is tremendous this year. Literally no preverbal 'deadwood'

He's at the mighty Hull. In all seriousness Lewis Holtby could be fucking massive for us this year, in his preffered deeper no6 role. Cant wait to see that one pan out:holtbytongue:
When I saw we sold Hudd but not that useless mong I was so pissed off. What do the club see in him. He had one good game. I love how hard Holtby works. I want him back.

If you want a CAM then look no further than Joke Livermore.
Only joking. He is poo. And a CDM of sorts.

If I'm honest, I think he was only loaned out until we have a real look at the Sandro situation :/ Otherwise, I unfortunately don't see him ever providing much contribution given the quality and youth we already have at center mid.

Back
Top Bottom