Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

OK, maybe a bad example, but there are many top players who performed year in year out for their clubs without breaks.

Every player's size, weight, dynamism, skill-set and general game put a different degree of physical strain on a player. In my view what's effectively being explored here is whether Harry can/could sustain his hard running/pressing game/all-action game for the entirety of his career; be it hampered by mere physical exertion or niggling injuries.

Not to many players with a frame like Harry sustain a career playing like he is/was.

Got any specifically relative counter-examples?

We are not the "Harry Kane Team".

Harry Kane at this state is the most droppable of our attack. For his own good we have to take him out of the firing line and let him build himself back up. A short term decision to protect him vs the long term detriments of being overplayed (Fowler, Owen, Torres).

He needs to be "dropped" for his own sake, the team's sake, and based on his lethargic displays lately. There's no doubting his quality, but he hasn't been doing the things that made him so effective, say, 6 months ago.

Personally, I'd like us to go with a fluid front 3 of Lucas, Son, Lamela for a few games to "rest' Kane, change the formation, and have some more goal threat - which has been pretty non-existent the last two games.

From March and April. Shocking that after a whole summer, the same issues are still prevalent.
This is on the manager to be totally honest.
The stats speak for themselves, and Kane is not the be all and end all of our attack. Martial wouldnt have changed jack shit, just another AM on the bench.

Kane missed seven weeks two years ago, we finished 3rd.
Kane was injured twice last season, we finished 2nd.

Kane went off against Millwall, we scored 6.
Kane went off 1-0 down on Saturday, we scored 4.

The mantra will never go away sadly, and while as you say it's not ideal, it's still not the end of us. We have quality throughout the whole side and have proven it, like when we beat City without Kane.

Amazes me that this gets swept under the carpet so often.

Lucas needs to be starting games in my view......he really is an option that gives us something others dont.
He's like Gascoigne....like a faster, attack minded Dembele.

For me its always very simple, and thats if something isnt working, change it up. It doesnt matter that its Harry Kane who has to make way, this season is far more important than a Golden Boot.
The season is coming to an end, and for once there are still massive rewards to be had.

I would save Harry for the semi final personally, and go with a front four of Dele, Eriksen, Son and Lucas against Brighton. It won happen, but that doesnt make it the right decision to keep playing Kane. Should be eased back in from the bench, might do him good.

With the Stoke goal, Harry has scored one goal in 6 games....(note that one was where he went off injured, and one was a late sub at Chelsea though)
He was injured for a further 3 games, and an unused sub in one.

So in ten games, we've had one Harry goal (while obviously he cant score in the minutes he missed) thats not the point here.
The team, in those ten games have scored 18 goals.

Harry needed at the very least a performance yesterday to shut people up a bit, but ended up with his worst game of the season. Poch even said he's been hurt by the fuss, and it showed.
The people slating him, sadly, are winning, so he needs to get his shit together and fast.

Lets be honest, if his name wasn't Harry Kane then most of the fanbase would be all over his back, he's a shadow of the rampant Kane that we got used to watching. It's bloody sad to watch him toiling away like a championship player. Fuck knows what the answer is, rest, recuperation, a spell on the bench or sidelines maybe, but the manager needs to stop being in thrall to Harry and show a bit of tough love. We coped without him before and need the mindset that we can again.

Lets be honest, if his name wasn't Harry Kane then most of the fanbase would be all over his back, he's a shadow of the rampant Kane that we got used to watching. It's bloody sad to watch him toiling away like a championship player. Fuck knows what the answer is, rest, recuperation, a spell on the bench or sidelines maybe, but the manager needs to stop being in thrall to Harry and show a bit of tough love. We coped without him before and need the mindset that we can again.

He needs to be dropped. Play Son instead.

I love Kane to pieces but he needs a break and reminder that his place is not guaranteed. It will simplify things for him again.

He does look a shell of his former self. Less eager to try something.

That being said, he looked his best in that final 10 minutes.

The new formation is not for him. He has claimed the top of the pitch as his own and there is no need to change what has worked.

He needs Lucas and Son playing on the wings, Dele off his shoulder, and less clutter around him.

Today I expected, see my Man U write up, but I am not too worried.

Is there much difference this season to how Kane has started other seasons?

Sure he’s scored in August, but historically by this time of the season he’d have 1 or 2 goals, usually scoring after the international break. Such a big deal was made of him not scoring ever scoring in August, now he has and the pundits seem to think he’s tired because he isn’t getting the chances he gets throughout the season. Really they should be doing research and looking back across the beginning of each season.

I do think he is a little fatigued, but if he says he’s fit then I believe him. He’ll bang in a couple either tomorrow or Saturday and everyone will forget about this. He’ll still score 20+ goals this season.

Sure he’s scored in August, but historically by this time of the season he’d have 1 or 2 goals, usually scoring after the international break. Such a big deal was made of him not scoring ever scoring in August, now he has and the pundits seem to think he’s tired because he isn’t getting the chances he gets throughout the season. Really they should be doing research and looking back across the beginning of each season.

I do think he is a little fatigued, but if he says he’s fit then I believe him. He’ll bang in a couple either tomorrow or Saturday and everyone will forget about this. He’ll still score 20+ goals this season.

We’re in such a strange situation with Kane. He’s so good when on form that we can’t replace him, yet when’s he off form we can’t replace him. I think we either need to take a massive risk and drop him for a game or two or completely change the players behind him.

Lamela needs to come in, we need someone who wants to push to get in the team frequently. Players are looking far too comfortable.

I think what's worrying about Kane is not really the output this season, he's feeding off scraps. It's that he looks ungainly and sluggish when he receives the ball near the penalty area, his touch and movement are way off. When he's in top form Kane can take a first touch, swivel and lash the ball on target from 30 yards. He used to blast the keeper from any position 4 or 5 times a game. In too many games this season I find myself asking whether he's had a shot at goal, that is not normal.

He started last season poorly in terms of actual goals but he had an insane number of shots in those early matches, he just didn't score. This season he just looks drained. Maybe once the rest of the team perks up and starts feeding him he will rejuvenate himself but Poch must be very seriously considering using Son as a striker for some of the upcoming fixtures. I have no doubt Kane is fit but there is a difference between being fit and being fresh.

I agree he looks like someone from a county league side. He is so off the pace physically and mentally. He should be dropped it must be demoralizing for the whole team to keep playing him. A strong manager would drop him. If he is a real world class potential player he will come back if not what is lost?

If you want to drop Harry you may as well drop the fvuking lot of them. They are all under performing and no-one seems to know why.

It's not the world cup. I dont buy that cr@p. I remember after Italia 90 when Gazza and Lineker came back to Spurs after reaching the semis, they were on fire, unplayable at the start of the season. Shearer said on MoTD that after euro 96 he couldn't wait to get back to his club and start playing and scoring.

Nearly all our players are look like they cant be arsed. I said last season that if Poch could get us a top 4 finish whilst having to play at Wembley then it would be some achievement. well if he manages it this season with no signings, Wembley, the new stadium fiasco delays, important players not signing new contracts, the malaise currently affecting the whole squad, then we can safely say that Poch is a miracle worker

That doesn't mean he is perfect himself. He makes mistakes too. However I don't think anyone else would have put this team together and got their results over the years whilst having to deal with Levy's financial restrictions

We are not the "Harry Kane Team".

Harry Kane at this state is the most droppable of our attack. For his own good we have to take him out of the firing line and let him build himself back up. A short term decision to protect him vs the long term detriments of being overplayed (Fowler, Owen, Torres).

You mention Owen . He's recently been giving us the real lowdown on his career in the papers. he never said at the time but apparently was permanently afraid to put a major spurt of running because of fears his hammys would go .
This could half explain our new , slow Kane with his ankle injury. Maybe like Owen ,he won't tell anyone this is badly affecting him .

I am ok with harry being dropped. I think he needs a rest and framed in that context it won't knock his confidence too much. (The media are already doing that. If I were Kane I wouldn't consume media at all)

The other running thread, that we are too reliant on Kane, is not borne out by the stats or performances. That's because if you watch his goals, he generally finishes off moves the team create. If the team doesn't create shit, Kane won't do much, as showed by our past two games. As a supporter who saw what a one man team looked like with AVB/Bale (much as I denied it at the time, the following season bore out this narrative in a pretty spectacular way) I can safely say this team isn't even close to that. Bale could take the ball from halfway while the rest of the team stood around and stick it in the back of the net. Kane has done that on a couple of occasions, but as a general rule his goals come from finishing off a good move.

tldr; Kane is the final piece of a well oiled machine. he is not the machine, as bale was.

The difference this time as that he also finished pretty poorly last season

You mention Owen . He's recently been giving us the real lowdown on his career in the papers. he never said at the time but apparently was permanently afraid to put a major spurt of running because of fears his hammys would go .
This could half explain our new , slow Kane with his ankle injury. Maybe like Owen ,he won't tell anyone this is badly affecting him .
I've mentioned several times previously how Harry hasn't looked or played as we would expect, ever since the injury at the Bournemouth match last March. He was rushed back for the Chelsea game a fortnight later (having had a predicted return date of possibly being months away) and I am wondering if he has been left with a permanent disability of some sort. May need to be reaccessed and undergo some sort of surgery?

Back
Top Bottom