Guglielmo Vicario

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I am PROUD to call Vicario our goalkeeper. PROUD I tell you!
his save against Woolwich (the shot that bounced) was his best so far I think .... it's funny to watch all the players, their forwards and our defenders ... just standing like statues after the save.
Acting just like a goal had been scored 🤣

20231024_120509.jpg

it’s ridiculous watching this guy! They said he was an outstanding shot stopper. But wow! In only a few games he has a seasons worth of world class saves! It’s at the stage where you see an opposition player line up to shoot and you just know that Vic is going to save it! The fella just oozes calmness and confidence!

it’s ridiculous watching this guy! They said he was an outstanding shot stopper. But wow! In only a few games he has a seasons worth of world class saves! It’s at the stage where you see an opposition player line up to shoot and you just know that Vic is going to save it! The fella just oozes calmness and confidence!
We repalced Lloris (our second or third best ever keeper?) in the blink of an eye. I feared years of painful averageness cos players of Lloris' calibre are rare, and it's even rarer for us to get them before some of the bigger clubs can swoop in.

Not only have we replaced Lloris, we've upgraded.

We repalced Lloris (our second or third best ever keeper?) in the blink of an eye. I feared years of painful averageness cos players of Lloris' calibre are rare, and it's even rarer for us to get them before some of the bigger clubs can swoop in.

Not only have we replaced Lloris, we've upgraded.
This is a fantastic point! You see with Chelsea, Liverpool (before Alison) city (bravo for that season) Woolwich (Raya and ramsdale are both average) how hard it is to find a keeper who steps up and offers value. We’ve somehow done it first time and for less than £20m! If these performances keep up we need to reward Vic with a bumper long term deal

the one that romero got a touch to was a joke of a save, thats a truly elite save. youre only beating vic from close range or deflections. shooting outside the box is a waste of time against him hes too good. love him, hope hes here for 10 years.
This is what I’ve noticed! From the edge of outside the box he is almost impossible to score against! His positioning and size means he can get to any shot! Even against pool, he almost kept out gakpos finish and that was as a rocket from 4 yards

It's been very quiet lately from the "Paractici out club" :cool:
Vicario
Porro, Romero, van de Ven, Udogie
Bissouma, Bentancur, Sarr, Maddison
Solomon, Johnson, Véliz, Kulusevski

Sea change.

2004432.png

What were we thinking? = we weren’t thinking much at all.

Now we are all purring, thinking about what January will bring, before we just weakened almost every window.

couldn't agree more

he's a key reason why I feel confident about our direction of travel

imo we need cover up top (unless Richie becomes superconfident and has a rich vein of form and goals)

and defo central defence

if one of VDV Romero pull a hammy we are fucked. I like Ben D a lot but he's not a central defender in a back 4.

and of course not everyone that Mr. P has got in has been a success yet, but I'd prefer us not to diss any of his signings until they really have been given the chance to fail by Ange. Lo C, Bryan G for instance. Are there others?
Agree, except LoCelso was Poch pick, NDombele as well (all the press stated “Poch has been given his three top picks” Sessegnon the third).

Jack Clarke was the only hit, and, we failed him completely, needing a Championship club to bring his talents out.

Guglielmo Vicario: Tottenham’s unbeaten start is quietly being powered by the league’s best goalkeeper​

SPORT ANALYSIS

The Italian has been the form goalkeeper during his first nine games​

Tottenham Hotspur's Italian goalkeeper #13 Guglielmo Vicario shouts instructions during the English Premier League football match between Tottenham Hotspur and Fulham at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London, on October 23, 2023. (Photo by Glyn KIRK / AFP) / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE. No use with unauthorized audio, video, data, fixture lists, club/league logos or 'live' services. Online in-match use limited to 120 images. An additional 40 images may be used in extra time. No video emulation. Social media in-match use limited to 120 images. An additional 40 images may be used in extra time. No use in betting publications, games or single club/league/player publications. / (Photo by GLYN KIRK/AFP via Getty Images)
Guglielmo Vicario has taken to the Premier League like a duck to water (Photo: AFP)
author avatar image
By George Simms
October 25, 2023 6:00 am(Updated 6:02 am)

Of the 15 goalkeepers signed by Premier League clubs last summer, none has taken to English football quite so flawlessly and seamlessly as Guglielmo Vicario.
For all the talk of Andre Onana’s confidence crisis or David Raya and Robert Sanchez’s race to the bottom in Chelsea’s 2-2 draw with Woolwich, the brilliance of Tottenham Hotspur’s unproblematic king has been criminally ignored.
Signed from Serie A side Empoli for £17.2m, Vicario has the highest save percentage in the Premier League – 84.2. That puts him nearly eight per cent ahead of Alisson in second (76.3), and well clear of Bernd Leno and Raya (75) in joint-third.

And it’s not that he’s only making simple saves, as his reflex effort to stop Joao Palhinha’s early header against Fulham on Monday night showed. He also leads the way among Premier League keepers on the disparity between expected goals conceded – based on the quality of the shots a goalkeeper faces – and the actual number.
He’s being asked to take risks and play with confidence, and he’s managing it. Vicario has made the second-most defensive actions of any keeper outside his penalty area – 21, behind Nick Pope’s 24. He also distributes the ball from higher up the pitch than any keeper other than Pope (19.7m), although his kicking is relatively conservative. His distribution isn’t Ederson-esque, but his manager, Ange Postecoglou, does not need it to be.

When he speaks, with fluent English, Vicario is mature beyond his 27 years, with an impressive tactical understanding and ability for introspection.

Alongside this, last year he took in two Ukrainian refugees, a mother and her 11-year-old son, who still live in his Italian home. If Postecoglou exudes avuncular nice-guy charm, Vicario is of a similar ilk.

“I just really liked Vic from the start in terms of the characteristics he has as a goalkeeper – his agility, his demeanour, his character,” Postecoglou said. “He’s just such an infectious personality.

“If you look at his career, he hasn’t had a long time at the top level. I like players who have worked their way up from a low level very quickly because it shows that they adapt very quickly but also that they’re coachable.

“He’s been a really strong influence on the field in the big moments when we’ve needed him and he comes in every day and wants to improve.”

Beyond his clear statistical dominance, he has been helped by the instant chemistry between central defensive duo Cristian Romero and Micky van de Ven ahead of him.

And while the centre-back pairing have received the most plaudits, the full-backs have been similarly impressive.

Pedro Porro has made more blocks (23) than any other defender. Only one Spurs defender – sUdogie – has made a mistake leading to a shot all season, let alone a goal. This is undoubtedly helped by the same back five starting the last eight league games.

But Spurs lack depth. Vicario has said former captain Hugo Lloris “helps me a lot during training”, but his direct replacement is Fraser Forster. Against Fulham, Spurs’ quality dropped markedly once they made their five substitutions, with Vicario forced to make a crucial save from Raul Jimenez.

Emerson Royal was the only defender to be subbed on, with outcast Eric Dier and 18-year-old Ashley Phillips the other options.

But Vicario and the rest of his starting corps have taken a Spurs defence which conceded their most goals in a league season for 30 years and transformed it into the joint-second strongest in the division.

Quietly, the Italian has been the form goalkeeper during his first nine games.

Back
Top Bottom