Gent v Tottenham

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He showed some fans celebrating. Big deal, you could find pictures of fans from some club from Azerbaijan celebrating, doesn't make it a big trophy. The EL is such an awful trophy on so many ways. If people want to imagine for some nostalgic reasons that it is comparable to the UEFA cup of old, then by all means do. I won't participate in that delusion though, but to each their own.

I get that you don't like it, but it carries more weight as one of the two European competitions than the old UEFA did as one of three. I'm not denying it has its flaws, but I hate it when we turn our noses up at competitions - we get laughed at when we've won fuck all else in ages.

Does anyone know anything about how gent play & what form they are in?

Dier is the main one for me who I'd rest as he has played so much football.
Would like to see janssen start either on thursday or against fulham.
Which ever one he is more suited for?!
oh & give george some game time too.

Its on BT sport for anyone who wants to know.
Mcmanananaaman will tell us what we need to do to be as good as liverpool.

This is there 'keeper...

He showed some fans celebrating. Big deal, you could find pictures of fans from some club from Azerbaijan celebrating, doesn't make it a big trophy. The EL is such an awful trophy on so many ways. If people want to imagine for some nostalgic reasons that it is comparable to the UEFA cup of old, then by all means do. I won't participate in that delusion though, but to each their own.
We can all start hitting the "x" button mate.
So you don't want to win the EL? Just so we are clear on that point

but it carries more weight as one of the two European competitions than the old UEFA did as one of three.
Does it? Those three cups were all unique in their set-ups and ways of qualification. The EL is basically just the loser version of the CL. Teams who get knocked out of the CL (either in the play-offs or by finishing third in the group), get a second chance in the loser version of the CL. It reminds me of amateur darts and tennis tournaments that I participate in, where after you lose the first match you enter the loser tournament just so that you don't have to go home early. :p

How better to come of age, by winning a trophy. We are a long way off winning the PL and were shite in the CL. FAC and this is our best hope regardless what we all may think.

Does it? Those three cups were all unique in their set-ups and ways of qualification. The EL is basically just the loser version of the CL. Teams who get knocked out of the CL (either in the play-offs or by finishing third in the group), get a second chance in the loser version of the CL. It reminds me of amateur darts and tennis tournaments that I participate in, where after you lose the first match you enter the loser tournament just so that you don't have to go home early. :p

The dropping down is a joke. I'm aware of the merits of the old 3 tournaments, but a return to that isn't going to happen.

I do not think any player should play the next 4 matches in 2 weeks but I see no reason why they should not play 3. As I doubt any of the injured players will be back for Stoke the team that played yesterday should play Stoke. That means rotating 3/4 players a match. Playing any less of the first 11 will from recent results mean elimination.
If we go out of both Cups then I think it will have a detrimental mental effect on the team and will be worse than if they have a good rest.
Recent absences of midweek matches has not helped our performances. Many of the players have had enforced rest because of injuries.
I would therefore play a team something like this
Lloris, Trippier, Alderweireld, Wimmer Davies, Wanyama, Winks, Son, Eriksen,
Dele, Janssen
4 changes at most.
With our poor away record this is probably the hardest of the 4 matches and we need to be solid and look to avoid defeat and save Kane for the return leg and Fulham.

I'd bet that those losers tournaments you play in don't pay the winner €13.5 million though- that's what it's worth to "go all the way" in the Europa- then add the CL spot to that...it's a shit load of money compared to what the FA offer for their trophy & CL football is more likely to attract players than joining the FA cup final winners.

I'm not having a go at the FA cup by the way- if you check in the Fa cup thread, I maintain it's the greatest knockout tournament in the world of sport. I just think the FA have done a pretty good job of downgrading it's value over the years

And having another European trophy in the cabinet more than the nomads would be just lovely for bragging rights- much more so than an FA cup.

Last edited:
Looking at the history, we will rotate for these 3 games a lot. I think we will play a weaker team in EL, relatively strong in FA and another weaker team in EL.
Vorm, Trippier, and Wimmer should play all 3. Would love to field Winks in all 3 too. No option for Davies rotation though, maybe we should play Anton Walkes in FA.
KAA Gent (Away)
Vorm
Trippier CCV Wimmer Davies
Winks Wanyama
Sissoko Dele Nkoudou
Son

FA - Fulham
Vorm
Trippier Toby Wimmer Walkes
Wanyama Dembele
Eriksen Kane Dele
Janssen

KAA Gent (Home)
Vorm
Winks Dier
Sissoko Onomah Nkoudou
Son

We never looked very motivated in these kind of games. I think Poch needs to inject some motivation to the players to perform.

Looking at the history, we will rotate for these 3 games a lot. I think we will play a weaker team in EL, relatively strong in FA and another weaker team in EL.
Vorm, Trippier, and Wimmer should play all 3. Would love to field Winks in all 3 too. No option for Davies rotation though, maybe we should play Anton Walkes in FA.
KAA Gent (Away)
Vorm
Winks Wanyama
Sissoko Dele Nkoudou
Son

FA - Fulham
Vorm
Trippier Toby Wimmer Walkes
Wanyama Dembele
Eriksen Kane Dele
Janssen

KAA Gent (Home)
Vorm
Winks Dier
Sissoko Onomah Nkoudou
Son

We never looked very motivated in these kind of games. I think Poch needs to inject some motivation to the players to perform.
Realistically we are need to play our best players from here on in. Janssen does not get the nod here and Kane needs to play both games home and away versus Gents as they will be more motivated than us. Janssen to come in for Son or Kane every game on the 70th minute if we are drawn or winning.

Personally, I would rather us prioritize the league.
With that in mind, here is what I think would be optimal:

Vorm
Trippier Toby Wimmer Davies
Wanyama Winks
Sissoko Onomah Nkoudou
Janssen
I'm sure Gent can't run the same kind of press/Mane on us that Liverpool did, so I think we'll be ok with a back 4 rather than 5. Would rather not be playing Onomah really but I have no idea who else we could play there (CAM) right now.

Obviously, all the usual suspects as subs depending on the game-state.

I want to see Janssen getting the full 90' in as many matches as possible from here on out. We need to give him a proper chance to prove himself before the season's end. Kane has looked tired all season, and there is no reason we should run him into the ground for this competition.

The point is that clubs like Atletico take it extremely seriously but its beneath Spurs to you......LOL how ridiculous

Yeah the glory of going to extra time against Palace or beating Villa 4-0 in the FA Cup final far outweighs a European trophy.

Jesus, I get that you think the CL and PL (and weirdly the FA Cup considering your stance on the EL) are the only trophies worth winning, its just so odd to denounce something so strongly, like Spurs have the fucking pick of the bunch

We can all start hitting the "x" button mate.
So you don't want to win the EL? Just so we are clear on that point

Its a joke, like if we get to the final he´ll find something better to do, or wont be bothered if we win it.....love all this bravado "we´re too big for that" billy big bollox. Until you get to the final, win and the first he´ll do is be all over facebook slating gooners and West ham fans.

They are always crap until you get to the final eh.........on face value, I think the FA Cup isnt what it was. Its a run out for the reserves in a lot of cases, and I fully understand why. But yeah, Id love to be in it, take it seriously and fucking win the thing.....Id take the League cup in a heart beat too

Last edited:
Personally, I would rather us prioritize the league.
With that in mind, here is what I think would be optimal:

Vorm
Trippier Toby Wimmer Davies
Wanyama Winks
Sissoko Onomah Nkoudou
Janssen
I'm sure Gent can't run the same kind of press/Mane on us that Liverpool did, so I think we'll be ok with a back 4 rather than 5. Would rather not be playing Onomah really but I have no idea who else we could play there (CAM) right now.

Obviously, all the usual suspects as subs depending on the game-state.

I want to see Janssen getting the full 90' in as many matches as possible from here on out. We need to give him a proper chance to prove himself before the season's end. Kane has looked tired all season, and there is no reason we should run him into the ground for this competition.
why would you prioritise the league? We have nothing to play for in it

Lloris
Trippier, Toby, Wimmer, Davies
Wanyama, Winks
Sissoko, Eriksen, Son,
Janssen

And then for the FA Cup.. Bring in Vorm for Lloris, Walker for Trippier, Dier for Wimmer, Dembele for Winks, Alli for Sissoko, N'Koudou for either Eriksen or Son and Kane for Janssen.

The dropping down is a joke. I'm aware of the merits of the old 3 tournaments, but a return to that isn't going to happen.

It is when you've gone through a lot of qualifying games, only to then come up against a CL drop out. For once it's a benefit to us giving us an opportunity to win a trophy still. A cup is a cup and it can be used to propel us onto better things.

Anyone talking down winning something but want us to finish 2nd, 3rd, 4th :pocheyes:.

Finishing in the top four is an achievement and has some good financial reward, however it's not going to beat the feeling of holding a cup aloft and having a bus parade down the High Street.

The point is that clubs like Atletico take it extremely seriously but its beneath Spurs to you......LOL how ridiculous

The winners list recently...

Sevilla x 3 in a row
Chavs
Atleti
Porto

I wouldn't call those loser teams, all are top 4 sides or there about in their respective leagues.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom