Gent v Tottenham

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah let's run our team into the ground in a meaningless match, good idea!
How is it a meaningless match?
Jesus mate!
And some players need to play their way back to form. If Kane is tired, he will get rested. If he isn't, he should play. Since his hat trick the other week, he's been poor by his standards.

They do actually owe us a performance after that shambles yesterday.

SouthStand Billy, you remember you wondered whether anyone really thought that the UEFA Cup was mickey mouse?

I guess when you've won the European Cup as much as we have you can afford to be blase about relatively minor Euroglory...
This isn't the UEFA Cup, it's the Europa League. A empty shell in comparison to what the UEFA Cup was.

That said, I want to win it. Because I want Spurs to win every game.

But, the Europa League was created by a now convicted corrupt official in Michel Platini to spin money for UEFA.

Imo, it should be abolished and the UEFA Cup format reinstated.

SouthStand Billy, you remember you wondered whether anyone really thought that the UEFA Cup was mickey mouse?

I guess when you've won the European Cup as much as we have you can afford to be blase about relatively minor Euroglory...
Who said anything about the UEFA Cup? On Thursday we play a match in the Europa League; a significant downgrade compared to what the UEFA Cup used to be.

Who said anything about the UEFA Cup? On Thursday we play a match in the Europa League; a significant downgrade compared to what the UEFA Cup used to be.
Except it isn't a downgrade in any sense of the word, in fact its harder to win now with a better standard of teams taking part.

It's only in England that this line gets trotted out, in Spain it's given the status it deserves. Try telling Aleti and Sevilla it's a mickey mouse competition.

And yes, its the UEFA Cup, it says so on the trophy...

FC+Porto+v+Braga+UEFA+Europa+League+Final+8aq5Z5f9eP5l.jpg

Except it isn't a downgrade in any sense of the word, in fact its harder to win now with a better standard of teams taking part.

It's only in England that this line gets trotted out, in Spain it's given the status it deserves. Try telling Aleti and Sevilla it's a mickey mouse competition.

And yes, its the UEFA Cup, it says so on the trophy...

FC+Porto+v+Braga+UEFA+Europa+League+Final+8aq5Z5f9eP5l.jpg
This is what I said a couple of years ago in regards to the rape of the UEFA Cup...

It was created for the purpose of monetary gain and not improving the competition. Hiding behind the facade that it was created to open the competition to some of the more ''minor'' nations. That is why it's more difficult to win. Because there are more pointless games and just to make sure UEFA optimise all the money they can out of it, the CL teams get a 2nd bite of the European cherry. Why do they deserve two shots at European success?

It is a diluted piss poor competition until the KO stages. It's not entirely The Europa League's fault. The UEFA Cup was sullied in 1999 when it merged with the Cup Winner's Cup.

No matter what anyone argues the group stages are farcical. We pissed our group and we have been terrible all year and all that games like Tottenham v. Sheriff achieve is more money in UEFA's pocket. It doesn't improve Sheriff and was a detriment to us.

All you have to do is look through a lot of the results in the group stages to see horrible mismatches where the stronger sides roll over weaker ones.

Yes, there are some upsets and stories of minnows upsetting the odds but none, truly, have a chance in this competition. That is what the Intertoto was for, and as much as it was mocked, it created glory for clubs that don't see it often, but wasn't attended very well due to the smaller fanbases of these clubs thus UEFA seeing an opportunity to capitalise. UEFA merged it and once again the UEFA Cup was diluted.

This, and many more reasons I can't be arsed to go on about are why this current competition in it's current format is a shadow of the UEFA Cup.

Just like the new European Championship setup it's borne out of capitalism and not football.

That said, I'd love to win it.

And this...

It was created for two reasons and two reasons only. More money for UEFA and continued ''success'' of Europe's elite by hamstringing those in the secondary european competition with ridiculous travel as to effect their league form and as a parachute competition for CL failures. Thus, giving them two bites of the European cherry.

It's an unfair, horrible, bullshit little concoction from a confirmed bent administrator.

Anything Platini has ever done should be taken back.

Bring back the fucking UEFA Cup.

And beating some players hailing from the mighty Belgian Jupiler Pro League is the way to do it? I would rather see us respond by beating some top-teams.
Each to their own. Fall off a bike, the saying goes you should get back on it again to rebuild confidence. If they are all fit, why wouldn't we want a confidence building performance after yesterday? We would take that confidence into the next game, & so on. It also shows respect to the travelling fans. Or do we field a weakened side & risk more embarrassment against such "lowly" opposition? How would that build confidence at all?
You see the Fa cup as a bigger prize, which is fair enough (even though I'd take the Europa because of what it offers us). Do you regard Fulham as a "top team" though? How about Stoke?

Teams that do well do not rotate massively. I think we have been guilty of some half arsed disjointed performances when we've rotated too many. And another one against Gent really wouldn't be good for the club.

Last edited:
I would definitely rest Kane, Alli, Alderweireld and possibly Walker for this one.

Whats all this rest talk? They had 7 days rest before yesterday.....what good did that do?

We have two weeks before our next PL game. Plenty of time to rest, and as it stands there are 5 days between the Liverpool game yesterday and Gent.

Kill the God damn tie in Belgium, rotate for Fulham and play a team that can just hold the scoreline at Wembley.

Poch gets stick for "throwing the cups" then we should rest everyone for an imaginary title challenge or a "top 4 trophy".........so we can rest the team in the CL next year.

Lets just show some motherfucking commitment to win something

Does anyone know anything about how gent play & what form they are in?

Dier is the main one for me who I'd rest as he has played so much football.
Would like to see janssen start either on thursday or against fulham.
Which ever one he is more suited for?!
oh & give george some game time too.

Its on BT sport for anyone who wants to know.
Mcmanananaaman will tell us what we need to do to be as good as liverpool.

Does anyone know anything about how gent play & what form they are in?

Dier is the main one for me who I'd rest as he has played so much football.
Would like to see janssen start either on thursday or against fulham.
Which ever one he is more suited for?!
oh & give george some game time too.

Its on BT sport for anyone who wants to know.
Mcmanananaaman will tell us what we need to do to be as good as liverpool.

Belgian Spur Belgian Spur does, he's from there

Fucking gutted. Have just found out that er indoors has planned a day out to Edinburgh on Thursday (including a maul up Arthur's seat with the badly behaved puppy) & culminating in "a meal in a dog friendly pub" with her cousin who she hasn't seen in over 25 years. Talk about awkward silences...as I'm sat there checking my phone all night for score updates. Will even miss the cunting highlights as we will be heading back on the train to Glenrothes or wherever the nearest train station is. It's supposed to be a mini break, not a fucking ordeal.
:avbshit:

Fuckin hell mate. You've come back with a super strong "A" game. Bravo. :adesalute:
He showed some fans celebrating. Big deal, you could find pictures of fans from some club from Azerbaijan celebrating, doesn't make it a big trophy. The EL is such an awful trophy on so many ways. If people want to imagine for some nostalgic reasons that it is comparable to the UEFA cup of old, then by all means do. I won't participate in that delusion though, but to each their own.

Back
Top Bottom