Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes its awkward because you're bringing out pointless stats despite you claiming you hate pointless stats (labelling assist stats as that lol).

"In the 90 minute so and so played" give me a break man. It could be many factors why we won those games. How about you actually carry on claiming stats are deceiving OR give us individual performance stats of Dier. One or the other but quit being a fucking hypocrite.
Pointless stats?

Like winning more games and losing less games when we deploy a DM as opposed to when we don’t?

What factors?
So many factors but you’ve named zero. Funny how these nameless factors keep repeating themselves nearly every time Dier plays a full game eh.
Maybe there were magical other factors as to why Dele scored a few tap ins against Watford and Norwich but that doesn’t need looking at either does it......

You’ve all tried and all failed to find a comprehensive argument as to why our results with Dier, our only viable DM, trounce our results when he doesn’t play.
You’ve all cried for a DM, but somehow in your heads we are better off without one despite the figures utterly suggesting otherwise.

Again, if the stats were the polar opposite, would you dismiss them and claim it had nothing to do with Eric Dier?
If the stats for games won and lost were in favour for Dele, would you use them?

When I post stats for games won people say “what about the 28 minutes he was taken off and we won”. And bang on about ONE game in THIRTEEN.

When I post the P4 W4 L0 he played in the PL over 90 minutes, suddenly that’s irrelevant too.

Absolute shambles some of you lot are.

How about you actually carry on claiming stats are deceiving OR give us individual performance stats of Dier. One or the other but quit being a fucking hypocrite.
Stats are deceiving that’s why I’m using them properly rather than saying “Dier ran 4000km so he had a good game”

Here’s an interesting stat though:
Dier has one less assist than Dele in the PL this season.
In 700 less minutes.

I am deeply worried about his situation. I am.

But that being said, I would not sell him in the coming summer. I would like us to sign awesome DM who'd be starting next campaign. But I would totally be up to give Dier full preseason and time to sort out the issues and have him as utility option for the team.

Upside - we'll have fit player that could be 2nd choice DM, 3rd/4rd choice CB and emergency cover for RB for no additional expenditure
Downside - he'll still be playing badly next season and it will mean we have lost maybe 3-4 mil of his resale value.

To me upside seems way more valuable than the potential loss on downside!

Stats are deceiving that’s why I’m using them properly rather than saying “Dier ran 4000km so he had a good game”

In 700 less minutes.
Ok you're still kinda being a bit wishy washy with your opinion tbh. You say we need a DM but what are your opinions on Eric Dier as a player?

In 700 less minutes.
You cant say you are using stats properly and then give out this silly stat as interesting without any context of how many minutes they actually played or how many assists they actually got.

If its 700 minutes for Dele and he gets 1 assist and Dier has 0 in 0 , it means nothing at all.

Also one thing you should not do with stats is make them up. Dele has 3 assists in the league while Dier has 1. So Dier is 2 behind, not 1. You cant make stuff up because it helps your any argument you are making.

You cant say you are using stats properly and then give out this silly stat as interesting without any context of how many minutes they actually played or how many assists they actually got.

If its 700 minutes for Dele and he gets 1 assist and Dier has 0 in 0 , it means nothing at all.

Also one things you should not do with stats is make them up. Dele has 3 assists in the league while Dier has 1. So Dier is 2 behind, not 1. You cant make stuff up because it helps your any argument you are making.
Brilliant post but he still won't get it.

No first class to the Maldives or Dubai for our Eric. EasyJet to the desert in Morocco with his pals.

Yes I know it’s a wanky article. Just thought it might point to why the Dele and Eric show isn’t a thing anymore. One of them appears to have grown up.
Looks like he got confused by the drinks trolley though...

EQKaBzLX0AIZPKT

Brilliant post but he still won't get it.
He actually thinks 'deploying a DM' won us our FA Cup matches. Deploying the DM caused us to give out 2 goals away. How does that work. A DM's main job is to defend but we ship out 2 goals? Not like hes been scoring goals or assisting. Also its not like his presence helped us attack better. Southampton had more shots(9 vs 15) and more shots on target (3 vs 7) than us. His presence made very little difference if any but somehow the presence of a 'DM' won us the game.

Also one thing you should not do with stats is make them up. Dele has 3 assists in the league while Dier has 1. So Dier is 2 behind, not 1. You cant make stuff up because it helps your any argument you are making.
I never made up anything I went by this:

And whoopdy doo, one of the “best AMs in Europe” has two more assists than the “worst DM “ in Europe in double the game time.
Brilliant stuff there mate well done.

Have you another argument as to why we are better off without a DM as opposed to with one then?

He actually thinks 'deploying a DM' won us our FA Cup matches. Deploying the DM caused us to give out 2 goals away. How does that work. A DM's main job is to defend but we ship out 2 goals? Not like hes been scoring goals or assisting. Also its not like his presence helped us attack better. Southampton had more shots(9 vs 15) and more shots on target (3 vs 7) than us. His presence made very little difference if any but somehow the presence of a 'DM' won us the game.
We have conceded 14 goals in the 13 games Dier has played in.
Got anything new?

And whoopdy doo, one of the “best AMs in Europe” has two more assists than the “worst DM “ in Europe in double the game time.

Have you another argument as to why we are better off without a DM as opposed to with one then?
Alli is not one of the best AMs in Europe , so thats that. Anyone that says otherwise is still in 2015-17.

About DMs, we should definitely have a DM in the squad. But not one a fat immobile one who can barely pass. Its better to even have Winks in there instead. Just like fatty Ndombele should not be in CM until he gets fit. You need mobile players with lots of stamina in DM/CM positions. If we are giving out so many goals with a DM, then what is even the point of one.

Ok you're still kinda being a bit wishy washy with your opinion tbh. You say we need a DM but what are your opinions on Eric Dier as a player?
My opinions are that (like Dele) he was one of the best players in the PL a few years ago.
And like Dele he has had injuries.

Unlike Dele, he hasn’t had the same chances to find form.

Despite Diers lack of match fitness, he still helps the team. We need better and he needs to regain in form.
The entire team has been absolute shit for large parts of the last year and a bit.

At times, Dier has been poor. At times he has been good. He has been no worse than Son is right now.
He’s been no worse than Dele, or Kane or Eriksen we’re in many a game.
Or Lloris, or Aurier, Jan, Sanchez, Sessengon, Moura, Ndombele, and so on.

The stats when we use a DM are telling.

If you don’t understand that, then that’s up to you, but you do understand don’t you.
You just “don’t like” Dier.

Grow up, he’s all we have for that role right now.

Alli is not one of the best AMs in Europe , so thats that. Anyone that says otherwise is still in 2015-17.

About DMs, we should definitely have a DM in the squad. But not one a fat immobile one who can barely pass. Its better to even have Winks in there instead. Just like fatty Ndombele should not be in CM until he gets fit. You need mobile players with lots of stamina in DM/CM positions. If we are giving out so many goals with a DM, then what is even the point of one.
Is it better to have Winks as DM?
If I post the stats where Winks has played DM and we have lost more than we’ve won, are you still right?

Will those stats also be false and misleading?

For me his best position was playing in front of a back four

As part of the two deeper lying midfield players. I agree.

The great thing about when he was playing there in that season, was that we allowed Rose and Walker to bomb forward, as Dier would slot in between Alderweireld and Vertonghen and turn it in to a back 3 when in possesion. When working against the ball, we went back to a back 4 with Dier sitting in front. Those were the days. Don't think we'll ever see us playing in that exact way again, but who knows.

You got your facts wrong and you come back with this lol?

Alli's goal return of 7 goals in 18 premiership games is one of the best(if not the best) goal to game return of any attacking mid in the whole league. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

My opinions are that (like Dele) he was one of the best players in the PL a few years ago.
And like Dele he has had injuries.

Unlike Dele, he hasn’t had the same chances to find form.

Despite Diers lack of match fitness, he still helps the team. We need better and he needs to regain in form.
The entire team has been absolute shit for large parts of the last year and a bit.

At times, Dier has been poor. At times he has been good. He has been no worse than Son is right now.
He’s been no worse than Dele, or Kane or Eriksen we’re in many a game.
Or Lloris, or Aurier, Jan, Sanchez, Sessengon, Moura, Ndombele, and so on.

The stats when we use a DM are telling.

If you don’t understand that, then that’s up to you, but you do understand don’t you.
You just “don’t like” Dier.

Grow up, he’s all we have for that role right now.
So you're concluding that Dier's form has been shit but unlike Dele he hasn't been given the opportunity to regain form? Am i right?

iz futbal iz futbal

Same source for Winks as DM for 90 minutes:
P9 W4 L2 D3

Does this mean we are better with Winks at DM

It’s a real shame for you you’ve talked yourself out of using that in your favour.
Or are they good stats now all of a sudden?

13 games? Is this PL, all comps or some cups and PL or what? Are you making stuff up again?
I have detailed every second Dier has played in the pitch this season here:
Here’s Diers stats this season:

Under Poch he didnt play in 9 of the 12 PL games.
In the 9 games he was absent, we conceded 11

PL: played 90 twice, L1,
D1 (played as a CB)
Came on for 12 minutes, W1

CL:
played 22 minutes Won
played 90 minutes Won (played as a CB)

Carabou: played 90 minutes Lost (played as a CB, didn’t concede in the game)

In the 4 games he took part in under Poch we conceded 4.
Dier did not spend 1 second on the pitch for the 2-7 game.
He played 90 minutes of the 3-0 loss at Brighton.

Of the 9 PL games under Poch that Dier did NOT play:
W2 L3 D4

Under Jose:

PL...P8
Played 90 mins x 4 - Won 4
Played 45 mins - Lost subbed off at 0-2
Played 34 mins - Won subbed on at 1-0 up
Played 6 mins - Won subbed on at 2-0
Played 14 mins - Won subbed on at 2-1

CL
Played 29 mins - Won subbed off at 2 down
Played 81 mins Lost

FA
Played 90 mins - drew (played as a CB)
Played 85 mins - Won
Played 90 mins - Won

P13 W10 L2 D1 (above is a detailed break down of his minutes on the pitch)

In those 13 games, we conceded 14 goals.

Games Dier didn’t play under Jose:
P5 W0 L3 D2
In those 5 games we conceded 6 goals

Take the piss all you want about him, but you haven’t really got a case.
It’s not coincidence, or in spite of him.

It’s a simple fact that we are better off using a DM. No more, no less.

So tell me what’s made up?

Back
Top Bottom