England Manager

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As I think Henry Winter put it; the England job is not for anyone with young(ish) children. Sad fact that even football journos admit the England job comes with bile from press and certain supporters. He was explaining this to a french journo on a podcast who was bemused by the notion.

As for Fat Sam, he made the point about how he would be perceived if he had a vowel on the end of his name. Compare his Bolton side with Cladio Ranieri's Leicester "miracle," team and I know which one I would prefer to watch. Youri Djorkaeff, Jay Jay Ocaha, Anelka, et al

He does have a vowel on the end of his name. :freund:

CnyrTzBWcAEqjup.jpg

Martin Samuel , just to see the twat crumble

Seriously though, why not a part time manager. Some manager of a club team ?

I do it on Fifa & I can handle the pressure

If we are keeping it English (and we don't have to) then I would say Allardyce is the obvious choice, he will make the team disciplined and hard to beat if very boring. His record is by far the best of any current English manager given the shit resources at his disposal.

Would say Hoddle as he is the only manager other than Venables in my lifetime who played decent football but he hasn't managed for ages.

IMO Warburton is the best in terms of style but I am rather hoping he stays at Rangers so if Poch ever does leave we have a ready made Spurs fan replacement.

Not really many great options Allardyce for his drive, ability to smash egos and actually have tactics even if they are boring wins it for me.

I agree with Hodgson, not being good enough,thats proven beyond any doubt. I just feel some players see playing for Club England as the next step of their career not as the pinnacle of their career . I really do not feel that some players connect with being English, England, St George, God save the Queen and all that-so fall short of that desire to win at all costs regardless of circumstances. The Italians had a poor side but with heart and with the countries expectations, they performed. Here, the players whinge about their treatment if they do not perform well and quick to pass the blame. England need to find players that want to be there with heart.
What has the queen got to do with being English? They have more in common with the Germans and Russians.. We should drop this anthem. Isn't this the same National Anthem used for the UK when a Welsh/Scottish/NI person wins a medal at the Olympics?

Anyway, think of the lyrics. God save our gracious queen, long live our noble queen, god save the queen. Send her victorious, happy and glorious, long to reign over us, god save the queen.
How proud that makes you to be English ffs.
Its a song about hoping an unelected queen lives a long happy life so she can lord it up over us at our expense. What does the queen do, what powers does she hold? She doesn't even have a say if we go to war or not anymore. Being patriotic is not measured by your obsequiousness to the privileged. Time to come out of the 1700's this is the 21st century.
"fuck off Europe we voted to leave' the silly xenophobic sheep sang.... and we did leave at the hands of mighty Iceland.
We need an anthem for England that makes you proud to be English. Maybe then they'll sing it with passion as they have something in common with it.

Edit; bit like the dutch having to sing they have always honoured the king of Spain.

Last edited:
Having read Sam's book, and learnt a bit more about his management style, I actually am going to be a bit different here and say that I think he would be a fanatic choice.

He has always done well with what he's been forced to work with

I just can't get my head around The FA. Their number one choice was Wenger, he said no, so they went with Sam. I'm not going to bang on about who is better but it is clear as day the two men have opposite football philosophies, it simply doesn't make any sense to have this kind of approach, it shows that The FA literally have no clue what the fuck they are doing.

Last edited:
Went to the Malta game with my siblings, and met with my cousin too. Thought we did well defensively and the keeper kept it respectable - why the heck didn't he get MOTM?? Not in our wildest dreams were we ever going to win, but we would have gone mental if we had managed to score with our only shot on target - was hoping that Hart had dozed off! We had seats opposite where the Maltese supporters were sitting, and as we spotted some empty seats in front of them we decided to go and sit with them, as the atmosphere was definitely buzzing there. I did feel split loyalties though but felt OK booing the gooner/scousers/mancs, etc.
Forza Malta.

Last edited:
Boris...

boris-johnsons-quotes-6.jpg

He could lead us out of Europe by choice, rather than this "against our will" elimination we get every tournament...
:ossie:

Of course he is. This is by far the biggest job Gareth Southgate will ever do. It’s not even a competition.

He’s very settled in the role and under little pressure as a glorious quarter-final exit is viewed as success by the FA.

If Gareth walked now his job offers would be from the likes of Crystal Palace. I think he’s done a commendable job as NT coach and his temperament/style is suited to international football well, but as a coach he screams lower mid table.

Any other management job he gets will be less money, less high profile and more work. Why would anyone want to do that to themselves?

It'd be ridiculously stupid to keep him on if he fails at a 4th attempt.

If he wins it, sure. Keep him on.

You know what I could live with that as the deal. Win the trophy and you keep your job, don’t win and it’s time to go.

Southgate is a nice man but his football is boring and he isn’t the man to manage a team that has so many monster attackers.

The main issue isn't the players OR the manager. The main issue with English football is the FA.

Who are England FC? What is their identity? How do they play?

You look to all of the successful nations and you know how they are going to come out as their footballing identity is stamped throughout the DNA of the players from grassroots all the way to the senior team... A tournament manager has no influence on that.

The FA need to realise that they cannot simply abdicate the responsibility of developing a footballing ethos to a manager and group of players who meet up in isolation four or five times a year. It should be implemented from the second any kid is introduced to St.George's Park. It should be inferenced in every piece of communication they put out, in the halls and offices of FA HQ and understood by every manager and coach throughout the country.

So, again, who are "England FC"... I'll be fucked if I know. I can tell you the identity of the Spanish, German, French and Italian national teams... Unsurprisingly very similar to the footballing identitys of their most successful domestic teams.

Players coming into these teams don't need to be trained as they already know and understand the system they are walking into (even if it is shitty Italian anti-football) so the manager can concentrate on what's in front of them, get to the business of building cohesion and team spirit, drilling the players on a system they understand and preping their players on how to win the next 90mins... Instead of trying to explain to the players how they will line up in the next 90minute shit show.

Of course, a great manager who can work in spite of the FA has a chance of some success, but England being a tournament laughing stock is unlikely to end any time soon if the FA won't take responsibility for who we are and how we play.

Back
Top Bottom