England Manager

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm happy to let the FA decide and (probably) prove many wrong.

For ultimate LOLs Steve Bruce gets the job.

What has he ever done as a coach to warrant getting a go at being England Manager?

As much as I cannot stand the man, Harry Redknapp is the man to get players playing, "fackin' rhan abhat abit...."

Agger on Hodgson ( and Rodgers) take form his article about taking too many pills when injured from Guardian

Roy Hodgson

“I completely lost my desire to come to work because his training sessions were really hard to get through. Not physically but mentally. It was the same and the same and the same. Day in and day out.

“Often we had eight forwards playing against me and Martin Skrtel [apparently to let Fernando Torres score to regain his confidence]. Skrtel and I had a really hard training session as we were defending against eight with two but the eight players attacking were just faffing around. They had hardly run a kilometre and it was so uninspiring.”

Brendan Rodgers

Agger believes their relationship broke down on the day of the game against Southampton on 21 September 2013 when Agger played despite an injury and was at fault for Southampton’s goal.

“After the game he did not speak to me. Something went wrong. I was the first to admit that it was my fault. I apologised but as one of the physios said there was no need to apologise as the other 50 times that I had said that I was ready and played, even if I wasn’t fit, it had been fine. In those games one couldn’t see it but then there was this game, where I could not keep track [of my player].

“Maybe he felt that I wasn’t good enough and that Mamadou Sakho, Kolo Touré and Martin Skrtel were better then me. Then fair enough because the most important thing is for Liverpool to win football games. That’s the most important thing for me too. But in 42 days I went from being first choice and the club’s new vice-captain to be fourth choice centre-back. So I have thought a lot about it.”

Things came to a head again when, according to Agger, there was a heated conversation between him and Rodgers at half-time against Swansea City on 23 February 2014. Rodgers was criticising the two central defenders, Skrtel and Agger, for letting Wilfried Bony have too much of the ball.

“Everyone was quiet but I stood up and said: ‘How can you stand there and say that when we are only doing what you have been going on about all week.’

“Rodgers looked at me and muttered: ‘Whatever.’ I was substituted 12 minutes later.”

It won't make any difference because in reality England have never been very good at International football.
Maybe if Sam gets a major tournament in England, but otherwise forget it.
It's always the same with England..'the best generation of talented footballers we have ever had' that fail.
We have too high expectations.
Germany and, to an extent, Italy have players who stay in their own countries in supposedly inferior leagues but always seem to do better than us.
So, why do our players, playing in the 'best' league in the world with the best players in the world always disappoint.
Is it really the manager every time?

Big Sam is exactly what England deserve and possibly need to go far at a tournament. England are a bang average international team 2 semi finals in 50 years is bad, Croatia, Bulgaria South Korea and Turkey have got to the semis since we have.

But this appointment is a stop gap as all of them are with the the FA. There is no leadership or organisation there at all. Look at Germany after 2000, they changed coaching, scouting and academy systems. Even basic things like getting more coaches would help, In 2014 we had 1,395 Uefa B coaches compared to Germany's 6,934 and Spain's 15,423.

Until the FA pulls it's head out of its own arse we'll have the same conversation every 3-4 years that we've been having for nearly 2 decades now.

Best man for the job is clearly Mauricio Pochettino, however I don't want him as England manager and I would prefer him to stay with us and finish building a legacy that we as Spurs fans can be proud of.

Is he though - given much of his style of play is reliant on ultra high levels of fitness......which would be unobtainable over the amount of training sessions you have as national team manager.

I assume whenever Fat Sam wins for England West Ham will claim that they won too, obvious given the way they loved the fella and his good football.

The problem (too ) Big Sam has is that he is seen as shit, he might be mustard really, but the perception in the public is he is a bit too Northern, bit too dull and essentially rubbish & Perception is everything.

EG. Hi Tech might make the best trainers, but they have a shit reputation. Nike don't make the best trainers, but they have a fantastic perception of brand strength.....Sam will have a lot to prove....more than most I'd suggest because his brand is Hi Tech.

If West Ham's greatest post millennium manager can avoid picking bench warmers and second rate players from the big clubs and actually pick players from the lower reaches and Championship who play week in week out and hold down positions and have some form then he has a chance of success but if he goes down the road of Rooney ( any position ) Smalling, Jones, Milner etc etc he's absolutely dead in the water.

..these are not good players. They are simply squad or aging players at big clubs, not first pick premium players, more bench warmers and people with a squad place to meet the home grown quota. To put it in context. Rooney was preferred in Midfield to Drinkwater. That's fucking scandalous.

Last edited:
I fucking give up.. One waste of space to another.. Great 4 more years of shite boring football..

Would be nice if just once, the FA learned from it's previous fuck ups..
These two over the moon right now.
Cn0sOcEWIAEvmRt.jpg

Back
Top Bottom