England Manager

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

First off why the fuck anyone would want to manage England is beyond me. In my eyes it is a no win job. A job that I think gets harder to do as fans become more entrenched in their own teams and can't, won't get behind a player from a rival team, resulting in almost a celebration when play "x" misses a sitter and with a 24/7 media magnifying every detail.

With a National side so over hyped and fans believing the hype, England go into every tournament with a minimum expectation of reaching the quarter finals, something that has only been achieved 7 times, across two competitions in nearly 100yrs of international completion. Winning once half a century ago, and reaching one semi-final 20yrs ago. England are just bang average and always have been.

That said, average is better than poor and with a good manager better performances than has been achieved in the last two tournaments should be achieved.

So, what poor bastard will take the job?

Glenn Hoddle?
Ghod's name is being put forward by a lot of people, why?

Let me start by saying, I love Glenn Hoddle! I grew up watching him grace a football pitch wearing our shirt, a true Tottenham legend and Wold Class player in every sense of the word, one of our own and a personal hero of mine.

I'll cut the the chase I think he will be a shit Manager. With us he finished a disappointing 10th then the following year when he was eventually sacked after a 3-1 defeat to Southampton leaving us in the relegation zone. His last job as a Manager is a decade ago and that was nothing short of a total disaster with Wolves fans baying for his blood. He then did an O'Neil buy walking out on the club halfway through pre-season. If that wasn't enough his great return to coaching was only 2 years ago when he was appointed first team coach at QPR, his primary influence was to coach the side to his favoured 3 at the back formation. That system abandoned and never played again since going down 3-0 to us at half-time in the 3rd or 4th game of the season. He was last seen pushing Redknapp's wheelchair out of QPR's training centre 6 months latter.

It is fair to say his credentials to Manage England are not exactly in the realms of an elite Manager. So what am I missing, why should Hoddle manage England?

The man I would have is Marcelo Bielsa.
Seeing that there are currently 5 Tottenham lads in the squad (who are there truly on merit) and given the style of play that they are used to playing at their club, it would make sense to have a manager who his largely attributed as the founder of this style to continue and perfect it at a National level. To add further weight behind him, the English contingent from Liverpool and Man City (yet to see if there will be an English contingent under Pep) will also play a pressing game at their clubs. Surely it makes sense to play a system that is effective, attractive and practised everyday by players that are good at it. I actually think Roy wanted to play this system but lacked the ability to coach it, so I'd love the man who is famed for it to head up England.
giphy.gif

Hoddle did manage England though, or did you forget that?

Bielsa is a hipsters go-to name for any managerial vacancy, fairly bored of hearing him mentioned so much.

Hoddle and Redknapp axis of Yido for me. Fuck systems, fakin 3 at the back and run around a bit.

Hoddle did manage England though, or did you forget that?

Bielsa is a hipsters go-to name for any managerial vacancy, fairly bored of hearing him mentioned so much.

Hoddle and Redknapp axis of Yido for me. Fuck systems, fakin 3 at the back and run around a bit.
Err no I didn't forget about that, didn't think I had to write his entire CV down. It was nearly 20yrs ago when he managed England and he achieved what exactly?

As for Bielsa I gave my reasons for his selection, if they make me hipster then I'm guilty as charged. My grandchildren would probably think that I'm as cool as fuck.

This guy achieved the same as Hoddle, let that sink in.

I'd have Wenger as England manager.

Sorry but your point re Hoddle is quite amusing, you obviously forgot or never knew he had managed England based on the tone of your post.

Again, Bielsa is the hipsters choice and can easily be defended until he takes a proper job and succeeds.

I'd have Wenger as England manager.

Sorry but your point re Hoddle is quite amusing, you obviously forgot or never knew he had managed England based on the tone of your post.

Again, Bielsa is the hipsters choice and can easily be defended until he takes a proper job and succeeds.
I have followed Hoddle's career for over 40yrs, I know who he has managed and played for. The tone of my post is that I think he will be a shit England Manager just as I thought he would be a shit Tottenham manger (when linked to the job after AVB left) nothing more to it than that.

Martin Samuel , just to see the twat crumble

Seriously though, why not a part time manager. Some manager of a club team ?

I do it on Fifa & I can handle the pressure

Would be great to see some journalist or twat off Talksport get put at the helm of the national side
I propose Mark Saggers, the only man I can't listen to. I have to turn the radio off or go over to another channel. All the others are quite smart and you know when they are on the wind-up to provoke a call and I can treat it with a pinch of salt. Unfortunately Mark Saggers brings me out into a rage, I have never heard him say anything I agree with and if their was, it would be lost on me as they way he delivers it in some fake emotion would still piss me off.

Isn't Klinsmann favourite?

Lol
In fairness, he did a good job with the USMNT (given what you'd expect them to achieve) and laid the foundations for Lรถw and the German side.
:harryhmm:

As I think Joe Clash Joe Clash mentioned somewhere, I think the FA should be ballsy and offer the job to Eddie Howe.

Now is definitely not the time to give it to another dinosaur who will let us drift even further behind other international sides, nor is it appropriate to give the assistant/U21 coach a go (no Neville or Southgate for the love of Christ).

On balance, I think Howe is probably the best technically minded younger manager who is actually English.

Or fuck it, just give it to Pardiola.

Simeone for me if he becomes available but he's a winner and wouldn't take any shit so no way wd the FA have him.

Klinsman would also do a good job
:klinsmann:

Bielsa basically started the wheels in motion for chile's success in the last few years (2 copa Americas on the spin)

And given the way the best players in the squad play at their club teams, he would be my choice.

Unfortunately he's totally mental and the fa wouldn't touch him with a barge pole

Bielsa basically started the wheels in motion for chile's success in the last few years (2 copa Americas on the spin)

And given the way the best players in the squad play at their club teams, he would be my choice.

Unfortunately he's totally mental and the fa wouldn't touch him with a barge pole
Steady on Jim, be careful someone gonna call you a hipster for mentioning his name.

I fear The FA know sweat FA when it comes to who they want, but it will be the fleet streets finest that wouldn't accept an Argie running the English football team, they would be denied the opportunity to write "this is war" headlines to sell their dirty scummy rags.

Back
Top Bottom