El Tel 1943 - 2023 R.I.P.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Very saddened by this news. A real gent and a character.

I met him once - briefly, as a 16 year old - after an away match at Millwall when he was manager. The away end was walking away from the stadium and El Tel was just walking the other way through the crowd (imagine that now). He was happy to stop and shake hands: I remember two things: first he’s actually quite little, and second he had a massive and genuine smile on his face - he really didn’t mind giving him time to stop and talk to people.

Rest in Peace Terry, and thank you for that magical 1991 FA Cup run, when the cup still seemed to mean something.

I've posted this on the forum before but this is the VHS video Tel did in 1989 discussing the greatest ever Tottenham team from all the players in the club's history up to that point:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQnjPdAqm-E

I don't think there have been many managers in the club's history who would have been capable of having such a discussion and I don't think it's likely that we will ever have another one. I had hoped that one day Tel would have been able to do an interview with someone like Alasdair Gold, Chris Cowlin or Michael Dawson that would have included the players from the last 30 years in a discussion about the greatest ever Tottenham team but it wasn't to be.

Thank you, Terry, for your service to the club as a player and manager and may you be reunited with all the Tottenham boys in the afterlife. RIP.

I remember having that video!

Thanks for posting. I’ll be rewatching that this week for sure.

Back
Top Bottom