El Tel 1943 - 2023 R.I.P.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A non-Spurs, non-England memory...

I think it was during the live coverage of Heysel, as the horror unfolded below.

Jimmy Hill: We need to bring back the birch. Those responsible should be whipped in public. Wouldn't you agree Terry?

Venables (after a perfectly timed silence): No Jimmy.

I remember he used to have a drinking club. Mad Frankie Fraser was a member.
One Karaoke night he invited Fraser on stage to sing "Don't Go Breaking My Legs."

Incredibly sad news.
A huge part of my love for football.

Don't think I have ever been more affectionate for England before or since he was boss.

Rest in peace.

I had the pleasure of seeing him play.
Many years later he nearly ran me over in his Rolls as he left Coventry City. I was with my son and he gave us the Terry smile as we crossed paths.
How many managers go yo somewhere like Barcelona and win the league ?
Should have stayed as England manager longer.

Took a drive down to my grandads grave after the game. He was a QPR fan and Shepherd’s Bush boy and I remember talking to him about El Tel as he was to me. Hadn’t even realised he was a QPR manager previously!

Nice to have a little chat to him (well myself) about life this afternoon.

So RIP to a man who gave me some great times as a spurs supporter.

We are all here for a limited amount of time. Football fills quite a bit of that time too doesn’t it.

It was pretty poignant and quite emotional for me at the game. Really lovely singing oh Terry Terry. He completely got who we are as a club. Will remember him fondly

Took a drive down to my grandads grave after the game. He was a QPR fan and Shepherd’s Bush boy and I remember talking to him about El Tel as he was to me. Hadn’t even realised he was a QPR manager previously!

Nice to have a little chat to him (well myself) about life this afternoon.

So RIP to a man who gave me some great times as a spurs supporter.

We are all here for a limited amount of time. Football fills quite a bit of that time too doesn’t it.
My aunt was Alec Stock's secretary when they won the League Cup in 68. He was the inspiration for Paul Whitehouse's Ron Manager. Marvelous!

Loved El Tel...... His time with us holds such a special place in my heart as it's when I truly came of age as a yido. Never understood why he moved upstairs after that glorious FA Cup win.

Loved his time as England gaffer too.

He moved in similar social circles to a family member of mine in the 90s, but I never had the opportunity to meet him.

RiP Terry.... Thanks for such cherished memories. ✊

I didn't realise that in his later years he ran a hotel and restaurant in Penàguila, a small village in the foothills of the sierra, 20 miles or so inland from Benidorm.

Wish I'd known, I'd have made a point of visiting and staying there.

Maybe it's for the best, I'd have gushed and embarrassed everybody.

img_0386.jpeg

Here he is taken there in 2018, looking sharp as always...

5568.jpg

What an horrific day for us. Forget the 2-1 defeat and the women losing 7-0; Terry won the last meaningful trophy in our cabinet. It was his time with us when I firmly became a Spurs fan and also made my debut at WHL. The 1989-91 side was my favourite one of all too.

RIP. Thoughts and prayers with his family.

Had a bad day and this news has saddened me further

Loved the guy

Legend

Great entertainer and a Spur!

RIP Tel

I've posted this on the forum before but this is the VHS video Tel did in 1989 discussing the greatest ever Tottenham team from all the players in the club's history up to that point:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQnjPdAqm-E

I don't think there have been many managers in the club's history who would have been capable of having such a discussion and I don't think it's likely that we will ever have another one. I had hoped that one day Tel would have been able to do an interview with someone like Alasdair Gold, Chris Cowlin or Michael Dawson that would have included the players from the last 30 years in a discussion about the greatest ever Tottenham team but it wasn't to be.

Thank you, Terry, for your service to the club as a player and manager and may you be reunited with all the Tottenham boys in the afterlife. RIP.

I always thought it was a great shame Venables didn’t take England to the World Cup in 98. He had the Euro 96 squad plus Scholes, Beckham, Judas, Rio and the young Owen.

I think he would have been far more offensive than Hoddle was with those players. And he’d probably have got a final turn out of Gazza. We could have really done something.

A great loss for English football.

Back
Top Bottom