El Tel 1943 - 2023 R.I.P.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Unfortunately, not surprised to hear this, Robbo mentioned how ill he was during his Covid zoom calls.
Tel was a true character, good man manager and a bit of a crooner.
RIP :(

Ma Maw wrote to Mr Venables asking if I could be mascot for a friendly against Hearts. Nobody actually expected him to reply, but he did and I got to run out with the team.

Clearly a lovely guy. RIP

A non-Spurs, non-England memory...

I think it was during the live coverage of Heysel, as the horror unfolded below.

Jimmy Hill: We need to bring back the birch. Those responsible should be whipped in public. Wouldn't you agree Terry?

Venables (after a perfectly timed silence): No Jimmy.

I didn't realise that in his later years he ran a hotel and restaurant in Penàguila, a small village in the foothills of the sierra, 20 miles or so inland from Benidorm.

Wish I'd known, I'd have made a point of visiting and staying there.

Maybe it's for the best, I'd have gushed and embarrassed everybody.

img_0386.jpeg

Here he is taken there in 2018, looking sharp as always...

5568.jpg

No... No way....
Oh man that is just so sad....

WIN IT FOR TEL TODAY!

"Ohhhh, Terry Terry....
Terry Terry Terry Venables!"

It's GOTTA get sung today!

Fantastic manager for Spurs and England we were so lucky to have him, sadly off the field activities let him down, but we should remember the good times - Euro 96 one of England's best ever tournaments post 66 and 70.

RIP El Tel.

The 91 FA Cup win was the first game of football I remember as a kid and was the reason I started supporting Spurs.

With that in mind I’m now not sure I should like Mr Venables…

Euro 96 was also a huge football moment for me as I grew up. Obviously we tend to look at things in the past with rose tinted glasses, but that was definitely one of the best England teams I’ve ever seen.

I salute you El Tel.

What an horrific day for us. Forget the 2-1 defeat and the women losing 7-0; Terry won the last meaningful trophy in our cabinet. It was his time with us when I firmly became a Spurs fan and also made my debut at WHL. The 1989-91 side was my favourite one of all too.

RIP. Thoughts and prayers with his family.

Back
Top Bottom