Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It was a miracle he got through the games he did. He played amd spent the whole week in rehab getting fit for the next game. It is a testament to his abilities that he was not expected to train with the team but was a first choice when fit. If king had half the pain he went through I have no doubt that he would have had twice the career Terry had. Football is cruel. He could have been one of the greatest but such is life. It isn't celebrating mediocrity but cheering Loyalty, effort and sheer determination to get on that field and represent the club he loved. That is why we loved King and that is why he will remain a Spurs Legend.
I agree that it's an achievement to not train in the week and play at the weekend. But his was a career defined by absence. To call him a legend and speak of his loyalty is to ignore the facts.

I agree that it's an achievement to not train in the week and play at the weekend. But his was a career defined by absence. To call him a legend and speak of his loyalty is to ignore the facts.

Straight from one thread trying to persuade everyone that a slow podgy midfielder is the second coming of Nedved to here slagging off Ledley King' s physical attributes ..... very very strange

Straight from one thread trying to persuade everyone that a slow podgy midfielder is the second coming of Nedved to here slagging off Ledley King' s physical attributes ..... very very strange
McGinn is Nedvedesque. He's young and we could get him for less than 10m. What is not to love about that?! I think you describing one of the most exciting talents in European football as podgy, is strange.

I've set out my stall regarding King. It's unpopular but honest and based on fact rather than emotion.

I love(d) Ledley King and thought he was the one of the best CBs I've seen at WHL in the time I've been going. But do I really know what a top quality CB looks like? Maybe not. Am I biased when it comes to Ledley? Possibly.

What cannot be considered biased is Thierry Henry saying the only CB he played against in the Premier League who could actually stop him without fouling him constantly was Ledley. He's essentially saying King was the best CB he played in his time at Woolwich. Every player who has played with or against him states how incredible King was. Are they all wrong?

I love(d) Ledley King and thought he was the one of the best CBs I've seen at WHL in the time I've been going. But do I really know what a top quality CB looks like? Maybe not. Am I biased when it comes to Ledley? Possibly.

What cannot be considered biased is Thierry Henry saying the only CB he played against in the Premier League who could actually stop him without fouling him constantly was Ledley. He's essentially saying King was the best CB he played in his time at Woolwich. Every player who has played with or against him states how incredible King was. Are they all wrong?
I don't deny his talent. I just think we're being slack and utopian to remember him as a legend. He didn't do much for Tottenham Hotspur, but so many overstate his contribution.

The Henry comment is Henry trying to suck his own cock while trying to disguise it as some kind of self-effacing tribute to King.

Henry's tribute is King's greatest achievement, and that says more than I ever could on the matter.

I don't deny his talent. I just think we're being slack and utopian to remember him as a legend. He didn't do much for Tottenham Hotspur, but so many overstate his contribution.

The Henry comment is Henry trying to suck his own cock while trying to disguise it as some kind of self-effacing tribute to King.

Henry's tribute is King's greatest achievement, and that says more than I ever could on the matter.

That makes no sense, absolutely none. If Henry was saying it to praise himself he could have literally said any defender at all. He clearly says it's King for a reason. Don't really see how it's a tribute when he said when they were both still playing. Not as if he said it whilst sitting in the Sky studio recently. Such a weird point of view to have about one of the best players to play for us, at least in my lifetime.

But yeah you're right, it's certainly King's biggest achievement............. :king:

article-0-0069130200000578-934_468x319.jpg

Sick o cunts comparing our good players to Ledley King. King did fuck all for the club. He had talent and potential but in the end cost us more in wages than he ever gave back. Just an injury prone might've been. Sick of the revisionism
18th most appearances for the club, 3rd most in the Prem.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn.

He'll be a warrior. I think playing him in the middle of a back three will help him bed in more. It makes sense to give more responsibility to Toby and Jan and if they fuck up use his speed to win it back or push them out wide giving Toby and Jan time to recover. Smart move by Poch I hope it continues until he's nicely settled in
I agree with that, but maybe also becuase Alderwiereld and Vertonghen both have lots of experience playing right and left for Belgium and Sanchez has more central.
Why give him an unfamiliar role whilst he's bedding in.

He made a great challenge on Ramirez early on. Ramirez went down like a sack of shit and got a foul. It wasn't a foul but a good strong tackle. Won the ball cleanly.
When he's close looking like he's too close, I like how either leg just comes out of nowhere, sort of telescopically, and pokes the ball away

Last edited:
I hoped Poch was going to play him because I had no doubt that a player who had Jesus and Neymar in his back pocket could handle the role against a slow Everton with Jan and Toby just fine. He oozes confidence. Almost too much for someone his age. Just amazing to watch

Loved his performance on Sat. Not just that he looks solid but it the freedom he gives to Toby and Jan to push on a bit. This then means our wing backs can push on that bit further too. Obviously it only one game but the potential for him personally and the team is exciting! :)

I think we saw the answer as to why Pochettino wanted another CB, and specifically wanted Sanchez. We all thought we'd play 3 at the back with Alderweireld anchoring the middle just as we did last year, with Sanchez simply being a slight upgrade on Dier. But why spend 40m on a slight upgrade?

Poch wanted something totally different, and he needed pace to do it. Alderweireld and Vertonghen played split very wide and with their excellence on the ball were almost auxiliary wide defensive midfielders when we were in possession, allowing there always to be at least one free man for Dier to work with at the base of the diamond and their range of passing kept the wing backs involved while their width covered for them. This only worked because Sanchez in the center with his pace was able to snuff out any risk of a ball over the top or between the center halves.

Until now, we have not had a CB which allowed us to play like this. Sanchez pace dramatically changes the core tactics of our defence and that's what Poch obviously wanted. Watching for 15 minutes yesterday and it was clear that Sanchez wasn't a signing for the future or an expensive marginal upgrade, he is key to a change in the way we will play going forward that Poch had envisioned probably all the back to last season but couldn't execute with the players we had.

Back
Top Bottom