Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Adding on to the Rose point, if he's not going to be solid defensively then what use does he really have? It's clear he's not our preferred attacking fullback at this point, why do we think KWP is getting so much more time on the ball than Rose in the attacking third? Rose is still fairly solid at dribbling around defenders but he can't create anything off it and his crossing is just not good at this point.

Ey? Are you sure you've watched it?

Sanchez did exactly what a centre half SHOULD be doing, on his man and making sure he doesn’t get a sniff of the ball.

It's not really Sanchez's fault that he isn't 15 feet taller to enable him to head the ball clear. It was a freak goal that occurred because of an overhit ball by the Villa defender.

BECAUSE HE HESITATED. How many times do I have to say it? Will capital letters make you understand? Watch the bloody clip.

Sanchez is the LAST person who gets blamed for that goal out of anyone involved. Centre back marks striker and gets blamed for a goal that's scored by a central midfielder. Work that one out.
Well we aren't going to agree on that goal or the fact that Davinson clearly let's Joelinton peel off him against Newcastle (while marking air and looking the wrong way) and everyone expects Rose to get round and cover him...poor old Danny Rose

It's funny that our defence is probably at its worst state in the Poch era yet he doesn't utilize a DM to shield the backline. Winks nor Sissoko is a DM. I thought that both goals conceded v Villa and Newcastle were avoidable if we had a DM.

No so much a "yet we..." scenario as I'd say we are weaker at the back BECAUSE of it...

We've gone from a) 2 players both capable of assuming such duties (be that MD/VW, MD/ED or VW/ED) at times with 3 CBs behind them to b) 2CBs + Winks deployed as some kind of Pirlo-lite.

No - but we should probably back him after one error this season.

He's 23 years old, having to suffer playing alongside Danny Rose on his weaker side. Would be nice to have Sanchez/Vertonghen partnership back though. Gave us some great performances together during the 17/18 season.

Come on, there have been more errors from him this season then one, and you know it.
Also he was rather weak whole of the last season.

I don't fully get, why you bring up something that was 2 years ago, as so much has changed between then and now. One could have said same thing about Wimmer when he was sold - he did okay in one spell when Toby was injured as well. But no-one was buying this story.

It's funny that our defence is probably at its worst state in the Poch era yet he doesn't utilize a DM to shield the backline. Winks nor Sissoko is a DM. I thought that both goals conceded v Villa and Newcastle were avoidable if we had a DM.

No-no. You stupid :D !
Go to other thread and you can read, how "there is no use of DM in such game!!!" and "DM does not help you unlock the defence, so it is pointless waste of space!!" and many more...

Totally discarding the fact that we scored the most goals in EPL with designated DM on the field constantly and we even scored the most goals with designated DM on the field... but hey, don't let facts get into a way of your opinion, right!

Come on, there have been more errors from him this season then one, and you know it.
Also he was rather weak whole of the last season.

I don't fully get, why you bring up something that was 2 years ago, as so much has changed between then and now. One could have said same thing about Wimmer when he was sold - he did okay in one spell when Toby was injured as well. But no-one was buying this story.

He's made one error leading to a goal this season - Newcastle. And even then the blame is shared between him and Rose. The same amount as Alderweireld.

Well we aren't going to agree on that goal or the fact that Davinson clearly let's Joelinton peel off him against Newcastle (while marking air and looking the wrong way) and everyone expects Rose to get round and cover him...poor old Danny Rose

Sanchez was to blame for the Newcastle goal - haven't said otherwise. Rose is too. Poor ol' Danny Rose indeed. Fucking piss poor Danny Rose more like.

Even stranger is that whenever he usually partnered Sanchez with Alderweireld, he had Sanchez on the right and Toby on the left.

Only two reasons I can think he isn't this year. 1) Toby not as effective with the ball on the left and 2) looking for Sanchez to be left centre back successor.

We will have Vertonghen and Alderweireld leaving us. We have no left sided centre back when they leave but two potential centre halves in Sanchez and Foyth who are predominantly right sided.
Sanchez also plays left sided for Colombia. But Colombia's defense is much more zonal than ours. Him and Mina have clear zones that they operate in and don't drift out off. Unlike us where Toby generally is expected to drift and seek up opposition players with Jan operating behind him as a form of clean up crew.

I'm not sure you've watched it, the ball bounces about 2 yards behind Davinson, 100% guarantee you if that's Jan he just spots it coming, avoids wrestling for no reason and losing his position, takes a few steps back while watching the ball and heads it away.

Rose never had the opportunity to clear it as McGinn nodded it past him and he's not even level...agree he got sat down but he can't win, if he doesn't go down McGinn has another angle, he's just trying to help Hugo by cutting off one of the options as he knows he can't do both.
I’m coaching an under 11 team this Saturday you are welcome to come along to the section on team shape and the role of the wide defender covering when the ball goes over and behind the central defender (even more important in 9 aside football when generally it is a back 3) generally the boys pick it up straight away - shame one of England’s best left backs in recent years has forgotten that part of his game - ffs even Merson who is hardly a tactical genius called it correctly on the debate programme on sky

No - but we should probably back him after one error this season.

He's 23 years old, having to suffer playing alongside Danny Rose on his weaker side. Would be nice to have Sanchez/Vertonghen partnership back though. Gave us some great performances together during the 17/18 season.
It was a good balance for a variety of reasons

Adding on to the Rose point, if he's not going to be solid defensively then what use does he really have? It's clear he's not our preferred attacking fullback at this point, why do we think KWP is getting so much more time on the ball than Rose in the attacking third? Rose is still fairly solid at dribbling around defenders but he can't create anything off it and his crossing is just not good at this point.

He has zero use.

He shows PASHUN though and fans like that - wouldn't surprise me if the only reason he's been playing is because Sessegnon is injured and Davies is coming back from surgery and probably isn't match fit.

He's done in a few months time when everyone is fit though so not to worry.

He's made one error leading to a goal this season - Newcastle. And even then the blame is shared between him and Rose. The same amount as Alderweireld.

Ah, yea, and City 2nd goal? Where he misread the ball (did not make it to the ball, yet Aguero behind him did) - are you saying that he couldnt have blocked this ball? He was passanger there. Sorry, I don't know what you regard as "error leading to goal" but in this instance he had chance to deny the goal and didnt = to me error leading to a goal.

I’m coaching an under 11 team this Saturday you are welcome to come along to the section on team shape and the role of the wide defender covering when the ball goes over and behind the central defender (even more important in 9 aside football when generally it is a back 3) generally the boys pick it up straight away - shame one of England’s best left backs in recent years has forgotten that part of his game - ffs even Merson who is hardly a tactical genius called it correctly on the debate programme on sky
Haha wow, condescending but OK, not sure what you mean, he did cover, just wasn't able to stop the shot...if you think Rose should have won the ball then fair enough but he was chasing the guy down (who broke through the middle not his winger) and was never in a position to win the ball easily. McGinn nodded the ball down very well and Rose did the best he could. If you're saying it's impossible for Davinson to read that ball and get back then how on earth is Rose who is further away supposed to see it coming (even though he did)?

Ah, yea, and City 2nd goal? Where he misread the ball (did not make it to the ball, yet Aguero behind him did) - are you saying that he couldnt have blocked this ball? He was passanger there. Sorry, I don't know what you regard as "error leading to goal" but in this instance he had chance to deny the goal and didnt = to me error leading to a goal.

Ah the City 2nd goal.

Rose not getting close to his man
Winks/Eriksen not following de Bruyne
Alderweireld letting Aguero run right by him.

But sure, let's blame Sanchez.

Haha wow, condescending but OK, not sure what you mean, he did cover, just wasn't able to stop the shot...if you think Rose should have won the ball then fair enough but he was chasing the guy down (who broke through the middle not his winger) and was never in a position to win the ball easily. McGinn nodded the ball down very well and Rose did the best he could. If you're saying it's impossible for Davinson to read that ball and get back then how on earth is Rose who is further away supposed to see it coming (even though he did)?
You just don’t seem to appreciate that rose as the left back should have been in a position to clear the danger - he wasn’t so strikers get a free shot at goal - shall we just agree to differing opinions rather than boring everyone rigid - there are plenty of other threads/cunt offs without us adding to it

Also by that notion yo
You just don’t seem to appreciate that rose as the left back should have been in a position to clear the danger - he wasn’t so strikers get a free shot at goal - shall we just agree to differing opinions rather than boring everyone rigid - there are plenty of other threads/cunt offs without us adding to it
Yeah fair enough, I don't agree, because he did get back but like you say it's a boring point for others to read.

Ah the City 2nd goal.

Rose not getting close to his man
Winks/Eriksen not following de Bruyne
Alderweireld letting Aguero run right by him.

But sure, let's blame Sanchez.

What is your point? If Kane does not put the pressure on the CB in oppo box, then automatically everything that follows isn't a mistake when in fact it was still possible to avoid the goal?!?!

I don't get it. In this situation Aguero came from more difficult position, and scored. Sanchez came from better and didn't even teach the ball. How is that not a mistake? Honestly I would like to understand this.

I am not saying that he was only one to blame there - sure there were others involved as well. But he also made an error.

I didn't have a problem with us starting the same defence - I like consistency, especially at the back. Rose error aside, i thought our defending against Villa was fine. That particular weekend we let the least amount of shots on our goal out of any team in the league - against City, bar the narrow full back system Poch implemented, again I thought we defended well on the whole for 90 minutes, we limited City to shots from distance.

But it's evident after just 3 games that Rose is done and it's probably best to either put Sanchez on the right hand side where he's strongest or bring Vertonghen back in the team.

I think we'll see a changed defensive line-up for the NLD

No problem with starting the same defence, my problem us that as a unit it doesn't seem to be doing all it should be ,- and whilst individual players can be named, think there are some collective problems to sort out.

It is possible that once the main European TWs close Poch can be more ruthless in dealing with some of the individuals if they have previously said to Poch " play me or I'll go to a European club before TW ends and you cannot replace me" - but only if that kind of thing is going on, and there is no credible reports of that atm

Back
Top Bottom