Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've not been on here over the weekend really so only now looking through a few threads but am I the only one that thinks Rose was more to blame for the goal than Dav?

Depends if you're rational or a blind supporter.

Three of the back four are to blame due to positioning but Rose is so far wide it's embarrassing. He can see Joelinton, yet a) refuses to cover (shock) and b) refuses to communicate.

Then again, Where's the leadership? Why is Alderweireld so out of position? Why isn't Lloris commanding his defence? Horror show all round.

I've not been on here over the weekend really so only now looking through a few threads but am I the only one that thinks Rose was more to blame for the goal than Dav?
Actually I think it's a collective mistake.

goal1.png

Look how much lateral space is between our defenders. Add to this that no one is actually pressing Atsu so he has sooo much time to pick the right pass at the right time. An easy goal.

goal3.png

Another angle the moment Atsu makes the assist, huge space.

goal2.png

The moment Atsu made the pass no one is on him. Our defence is badly exposed and I noticed this in the goal Aston Villa scored, no one picked on McGinn's run because our midfielders were too advanced.

Last edited:
Alderweireld has been positionally pathetic in every single goal we've conceded whilst Rose has had a hand in 3 of the 4 weve conceded yet its Sanchez and KWP that are shit.

Surprised?
I said that Poch can be a "comfort blanket manager" it seems we have comfort blanket fans too. Only happy if the old guard get picked.

I think the reason Dav had a great first season and poor second season was all down to his pairing with Jan who basically made the decisions for him and allowed Dav to simply defend. We really need a leader at the back.

I said that Poch can be a "comfort blanket manager" it seems we have comfort blanket fans too. Only happy if the old guard get picked.

I think the reason Dav had a great first season and poor second season was all down to his pairing with Jan who basically made the decisions for him and allowed Dav to simply defend. We really need a leader at the back.

It also probably helped that he was on his stronger side too.

goal1.png

Look how much lateral space is between our defenders. Add to this that no one is actually pressing Atsu so he has sooo much time to pass it to their striker. An easy goal.

goal3.png

Another angle, huge space.

goal2.png

The moment Atsu made the pass no one is on him. Our defence is badly exposed and I noticed this in the goal Aston Villa scored, no one picked on McGinn's run because our midfielders were too advanced.
Good post and good points, but..................

As a defender you have to be alive to where the danger is. In EVERYONE of the pictures the only danger is Joelinton.
KWP is covering the pass to the winger.
Toby is covering Sissoko in case the fella skips past him.
Rose IS too wide and should have tucked in more.
But Sanchez knows Joelinton is there and gets drawn towards the ball and a position where there is no danger allowing Joelinton to drop off him. As a CB you just can't do that.
Stay where the danger is.

Again, something that I can't understand from Poch this year. Surely the more experienced defender goes to the unfamiliar position, not the younger player.

Even stranger is that whenever he usually partnered Sanchez with Alderweireld, he had Sanchez on the right and Toby on the left.

Only two reasons I can think he isn't this year. 1) Toby not as effective with the ball on the left and 2) looking for Sanchez to be left centre back successor.

We will have Vertonghen and Alderweireld leaving us. We have no left sided centre back when they leave but two potential centre halves in Sanchez and Foyth who are predominantly right sided.

Dav also plays a big role in "transition defence" when we have a lot of players around the opposing penalty area and lose the ball. It is often him who has to deal with the long ball from a team trying to play on the break.

He is not great at it because he does not have good judgement when to challenge and when to fall back and shepherd an attacker out wide. That could be an experience thing, he gets that job because he is fast and physical and the more he does it the better he will get. Toby is great at it.

Even stranger is that whenever he usually partnered Sanchez with Alderweireld, he had Sanchez on the right and Toby on the left.

Only two reasons I can think he isn't this year. 1) Toby not as effective with the ball on the left and 2) looking for Sanchez to be left centre back successor.

We will have Vertonghen and Alderweireld leaving us. We have no left sided centre back when they leave but two potential centre halves in Sanchez and Foyth who are predominantly right sided.
I didn't understand the hesitation in looking for replacements, but the biggest puzzle was why we apparently held an interest in De Ligt, but never went for him until he became a superstar. How did we look at Dav and miss him at 17?

Ajax have two young defenders at the minute I think we should be looking to get hold of and develop for Toby and Jan leaving, Kik Pierie and Perr Schuurs. No doubt we'll wait until they become superstars in Raiola's stable soon and we'll be on the outside looking in.

Alderweireld has been positionally pathetic in every single goal we've conceded whilst Rose has had a hand in 3 of the 4 weve conceded yet its Sanchez and KWP that are shit.

Surprised?

I get it (and I agree with it) - problems in the defense are way bigger than Sanchez specifically.

Just in some instances he seems just so out of it all regardless of positioning of him or anyone else - he just misses defendable balls that either fly over or before him. Some goals would have been prevented just by correct assessment of balls flight.

Sissoko (must be closer rather than letting the pass go freely unchallenged) at fault and Sanchez (must try to be inline with Toby, grass cut, and Jol is offside and closer to him to defend) at fault.
No blame on Toby (protecting Sissoko ) and Rose And KWP have 2 players to mark on the flanks.

Vert would have prevented the goal that is for sure and we would have won.

goal2.png

Last edited:

goal1.png

Look how much lateral space is between our defenders. Add to this that no one is actually pressing Atsu so he has sooo much time to pick the right pass at the right time. An easy goal.

goal3.png

Another angle the moment Atsu makes the assist, huge space.

goal2.png

You've got to blame Davinson for that, firstly he's playing him onside...

Rose has his eye on the winger and that's his man, Davinson and Toby have 1 man between them and both get sucked to the ball, Davinson is closest to Joelinton and so regardless of tactics you have to take responsibility. Rose actually busted a gut to cover (as he did in the Villa game when they scored).

*Even if we're playing a "tether style" you have to constantly adapt and when that ball goes into Atsu he clearly only has 1 option to hit, Davinson should have been moving backwards as the ball goes into Atsu's feet not after he's received it, got his head up, looked at Joelinton and played the ball...either that or he drives the whole back four up to play him offside but he just stood on his heels in no mans land.

Last edited:
Dav also plays a big role in "transition defence" when we have a lot of players around the opposing penalty area and lose the ball. It is often him who has to deal with the long ball from a team trying to play on the break.

He is not great at it because he does not have good judgement when to challenge and when to fall back and shepherd an attacker out wide. That could be an experience thing, he gets that job because he is fast and physical and the more he does it the better he will get. Toby is great at it.
Spot on.
Sanchez always seems to want to get involved in a tussle with the attacker, especially under the high ball.
Take a step back and attack the ball is sometimes the better option

Rose has his eye on the winger and that's his man, Davinson and Toby have 1 man between them and both get sucked to the ball, Davinson is closest to Joelinton and so regardless of tactics you have to take responsibility. Rose actually busted a gut to cover (as he did in the Villa game when they scored).

It was Rose's fault against Villa too.

Realising you can't cut it at this level anymore will make you bust a gut when you've made an error. Guilt perhaps.

Sanchez, Rose and to an extent Alderweireld are all at fault here.

Last edited:

It's worse than that.
The attacker is in front of Sanchez and then pulls away. Sanchez seed him do this and points at him to pass him on.
Not once does he look to see where Danny is. Once joelinton goes passed him Sanchez, again, never looks to see where he is.
Ball watching of the highest order.

I didn't understand the hesitation in looking for replacements, but the biggest puzzle was why we apparently held an interest in De Ligt, but never went for him until he became a superstar. How did we look at Dav and miss him at 17?

Ajax have two young defenders at the minute I think we should be looking to get hold of and develop for Toby and Jan leaving, Kik Pierie and Perr Schuurs. No doubt we'll wait until they become superstars in Raiola's stable soon and we'll be on the outside looking in.

We didn't miss De Ligt. He is notably younger and we likely (and understandably) saw prizing him away at that age unrealistic. The cat was already out of the bag at 17/18 and whilst we were reported to have subsequently tried to buy him, the uber-clubs were already interested too.

Ajax are no mugs... They're not gonna sell blosoming stars before they need to when they can a) benefit on the pitch in the interim and b) get an even bigger fee the more developed they are when they eventually bite the bullet and sell.

Do we not remember how piss poor Vertonghen was during the 14/15 season? At the age of 27?

Sanchez is 23 years old. Play him on his right side. With a partner he's had success with and he'll improve tremendously. Need to back him, especially when he can put in performances like the one against City.

It was Rose's fault against Villa too.

Realising you can't cut it at this level anymore will make you bust a gut when you've made an error. Guilt perhaps.
I was at that game and it didn't look like Rose's fault, long ball caught the CB's out (Toby was way too wide and Davinson fell into a wrestling trap when his main concern should be the ball). If a ball goes straight over the CB's can you really blame the full backs? He actually scores the goal nearer where KWP should be anyway so Rose can't be blamed. Rose did very well to get back in front of a pacy McGinn but got done by a bit of skill as he was at full tilt.

Agree he isn't as good as he was but he's way better than Davies who can barely run or cross (although he can tackle and if he was bigger would be a great CB).

Do we not remember how piss poor Vertonghen was during the 14/15 season? At the age of 27?

Sanchez is 23 years old. Play him on his right side. With a partner he's had success with and he'll improve tremendously. Need to back him, especially when he can put in performances like the one against City.
Agree he will improve but basic balls over his head and not tracking a lone runner have to be cut out now or it's going to be a long old season. It's hardly world class defending, sort of stuff you learn as a kid.

I was at that game and it didn't look like Rose's fault, long ball caught the CB's out (Toby was way too wide and Davinson fell into a wrestling trap when his main concern should be the ball). If a ball goes straight over the CB's can you really blame the full backs? He actually scores the goal nearer where KWP should be anyway so Rose can't be blamed. Rose did very well to get back in front of a pacy McGinn but got done by a bit of skill as he was at full tilt.

Agree he isn't as good as he was but he's way better than Davies who can barely run or cross (although he can tackle and if he was bigger would be a great CB).

It was Iong hopeful aimless punt by Mings. No centre back in world football clears it because its so hopeful it literally bypasses our defence.

Rose comes round to cover as your full back is meant to. Hesitates and allows McGinn to get through instead of clearing it. Mate, we've had this discussion, I've posted the video to prove it.

Infact, I'll post it again.

15 seconds in. Hesitation. Rose of old clears it, seen it plenty of times. However we don't have Rose of old.

Rose didnt do ANYTHING well for the Villa goal. Not only does he fail to clear due to his hesitation, he stupidly goes to ground instead of standing McGinn up.

Rose is done. He's a waste of place in the team. Cannot defend, as evident by being involved in 3 of the 4 goals we've conceded this season, cannot attack, cannot cross.

I'm not surprised we wanted to fuck him off to Watford.

Anyone blaming Sanchez for that goal is brain dead. Worryingly, all of our back four have now been involved in the goals we've conceded.

Villa - Rose (Sissoko not tracking runner)
City - KWP, Rose, Alderweireld.
Newcastle - Sanchez, Rose, Alderweireld

Based on that alone, Vertonghen should probably come back in the team. Davies too.

Back
Top Bottom