Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agreed mate. I know he still has some time on his side, (although people who still talk about him as if he is a complete rookie do need to wake up and smell the coffee I reckon), but I just don't see him as our future defensive leader.

Put it this way, when, not if, Toby and Jan leave, we are no question going to have to spend big on a new centre half, which is once again a negative mark against our recruitment/team strategy considering the massive investment made in Sánchez.
I wonder how much Levy was looking at future zeroes because of 'Barca interest'. We are stuck with him as there is no 'bigger' club for him to go to. Hope he improves but basic errors like misreading the flight of the ball, letting balls bounce over your head, air kicks, and his WWE impressions are not making it look likely.

Next year will be a total nightmare if Sanchez is supposed to be the main man in our defence and command Foyth, Davies & KWP... barely mid table quality, scary that.

Continually regressing and needs better coaching or something if he's going to be good enough to take over after Jan & Toby.

Yet some seem impervious to criticism.
Not to you. Do you ever post anything that isn’t having a go at Toby, you boring, repetitive arse.

In fact, in five years here, you’ve posted around 1800 times. 200 in the last year digging out Toby. Did he shag your mum or something?

The problem is the only way he improves the errors is by keep playing him. In his first season when Aldeweireld was out of the side he started a lot and looked a good purchase.

Not liked Sanchez ever since I saw Rondon brush him aside to score a breakaway goal. Yesterday he was brushed aside by a Newcastle player that looked smaller than him and was lucky not to give away a foul when regaining the ball. He is too weak for his size.

Not to you. Do you ever post anything that isn’t having a go at Toby, you boring, repetitive arse.

In fact, in five years here, you’ve posted around 1800 times. 200 in the last year digging out Toby. Did he shag your mum or something?
I love a stalker.

You talk about boring repetitive arse yet you trawled through my posts.

Oh and check further back, you'll see I was nothing but full of praise until his form dropped.

But what a boring fanny you turned out to be, and a total prick into the bargain!

I love a stalker.

You talk about boring repetitive arse yet you trawled through my posts.

Oh and check further back, you'll see I was nothing but full of praise until his form dropped.

But what a boring fanny you turned out to be, and a total prick into the bargain!
Didn’t trawl anything. Searched “Toby”, stuck in “Reidy” as the author and up popped all the pages. Twenty posts per page, ten in the last twelve months. Basic arithmetic rather than stalking or trawling.

I’d not have done it if you’d post about anything else, but even in a thread about another player, you fire in digs. Maybe you were positive in the past, maybe a number of your 200 in the last year we’re too. Just comes over as massively obsessed. Ye prick.

We fucked up hugely last season. I posted on here we didn't need a fortune for Toby, just enough to replace him with De Ligt. We fannied about with De Ligt, he signed with the fat slug and it was game over.

What pisses me off about this situation the most is our scouts spending the whole of 2016/17 season scouting around that not unfamiliar recruitment ground of Ajax and deciding to spend £42 million on a kid centre back. I can still clearly recall seeing Davinson for the first time in the Europa League Final for Ajax against Man U that season and forming a very unimpressive first impression . The other Ajax central defender in that final, an even younger kid 17 year old Mattijs De Lijt made a far better first impression on me. Did our scouts not notice De Lijt when they were sniffing around Ajax in season 2016/17? I’m sure they could have De Lijt for a lot cheaper back than £42 million back then.

When Toby was hurt 2 years ago Sanchez played out of his mind. People were suggesting that we could let Toby go. IMO, toby should be dropped for Sanchez and Jan needs to be on the field.

Yes, I agree. He was impressive in his first season.

But why are you talking about that time? Because since then he has taken step after step backwards.
I don't feel comfortable at all anymore with him at CB. He has already leaked more goals in this season than Toby did in his first season or two. Yes- I agree that Toby is neither this dominant superstar he used to be back then, but he is still head and shoulder above DS unfortunately. This was very well proven last season as well - for some magical and enigmatic reason he played 3000 minutes of football when Toby was trusted with 4400 minutes -clearly more.

Also one aspect that is rarely mentioned in this context is passing ability. Which Sanchez has absolutely non apparently. Even in Newcastle game, he gave two very gullible / easy to intercept passes that invited Toons to attack. At the same time, Toby is more than capable passer/crosser. Why does it matter - well simple really - if we make a mistake playing out of defense, it puts the (often out of form) back 4 under more pressure and gives opposition team more chances.

I really hope that he can turn things around and cut all the errors out of his game. We could use at least one established CB next year, you know. But watching the trend of his appearences I don't see this happening unfortunately.

Not surprised at all when I saw this thread, hate to say it about one of our players but I really don’t rate this guy 😕 surely to god the two belgians must be the starting centre halves, even if both are looking likely to walk away on frees at the end of the season. Dunno about everyone else but our summer transfer window is starting to look abit shit now!! Maybe we needed a centre half - cause we are gonna need a real quality one next summer, cause Sanchez ain’t good enough to Marshall the back line on his own.

He will play on Sunday because we need someone who can run against their strike force , unless we play deep where that would suit Vertonghen

What pisses me off about this situation the most is our scouts spending the whole of 2016/17 season scouting around that not unfamiliar recruitment ground of Ajax and deciding to spend £42 million on a kid centre back. I can still clearly recall seeing Davinson for the first time in the Europa League Final for Ajax against Man U that season and forming a very unimpressive first impression . The other Ajax central defender in that final, an even younger kid 17 year old Mattijs De Lijt made a far better first impression on me. Did our scouts not notice De Lijt when they were sniffing around Ajax in season 2016/17? I’m sure they could have De Lijt for a lot cheaper back than £42 million back then.
You're preaching to the converted, and I said at the time we signed Davinson that we had signed the wrong player and De Ligt, who was an absolute stand out at 17 was the signing to make.

But this bull shit that Dav is the only weak link in our defence is exactly that, bull shit. And again I will say it. Either Poch has instructed the defence to play this narrow slide which exposes us at the back post or someone is calling the shots on the pitch against the manager's instruction. Look at the way Dav looks at the position of Toby and comes closer to him rather than go to their striker. It reminds me or a defence who plays like they are tethered together.

Didn’t trawl anything. Searched “Toby”, stuck in “Reidy” as the author and up popped all the pages. Twenty posts per page, ten in the last twelve months. Basic arithmetic rather than stalking or trawling.

I’d not have done it if you’d post about anything else, but even in a thread about another player, you fire in digs. Maybe you were positive in the past, maybe a number of your 200 in the last year we’re too. Just comes over as massively obsessed. Ye prick.
Like others who can't see his faults are massively obsessed pricks too.

Prior to his injury against Real, Toby was fantastic, the best defender in the EPL easily, since then his game has changed, and if you read those posts you will find I had mentioned this. The way he never seems to attack a ball in the air, especially outside the penalty area, the way he turns his body to constantly show players down the outside regardless if that is on to their strong foot. His inability to throw himself in front of a ball.

What I can't get is how it's fine to slaughter some players, but refuse to admit others have a problem just because they were great (and Toby was better than great) two years ago.

I've also suggested that it's an injury thing and I think Toby is holding back due to fears that the same injury could really harm his career.

I also think that both Toby and Dav are suffering due to Poch's tactics.

But this bull shit that Dav is the only weak link in our defence is exactly that, bull shit. And again I will say it. Either Poch has instructed the defence to play this narrow slide which exposes us at the back post or someone is calling the shots on the pitch against the manager's instruction. Look at the way Dav looks at the position of Toby and comes closer to him rather than go to their striker. It reminds me or a defence who plays like they are tethered together.

I said the same thing.

The whole back four is out of sync and blaming one individual is stupid. Does feel like the old guard are exempt from criticism though.

I said the same thing.

The whole back four is out of sync and blaming one individual is stupid. Does feel like the old guard are exempt from criticism though.
You had a go at me for saying Toby wasn't the player he was last season, but the simple fact was, it was clear, he wasn't.

Like I said, there seems to be a "tethering" effect on the defence. The Sterling goal was proof of that, where I would say the centre halves were too far across and KWP was to far inside, but he was double teamed. You put the still of the goal up on Sunday showing Toby in the right back position meaning Dav had far too much space to cover unless Rose tucked in, which then would have left, yet again, no one wide left.

You had a go at me for saying Toby wasn't the player he was last season, but the simple fact was, it was clear, he wasn't.

Like I said, there seems to be a "tethering" effect on the defence. The Sterling goal was proof of that, where I would say the centre halves were too far across and KWP was to far inside, but he was double teamed. You put the still of the goal up on Sunday showing Toby in the right back position meaning Dav had far too much space to cover unless Rose tucked in, which then would have left, yet again, no one wide left.

Alderweireld has been positionally pathetic in every single goal we've conceded whilst Rose has had a hand in 3 of the 4 weve conceded yet its Sanchez and KWP that are shit.

Surprised?

Back
Top Bottom