Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Danny Rose is not starting eleven quality, end of. Not for us anyway, there are reasons he was Sunderland's best player, the main reason being that he was at Sunderland. It would be a step sideways at best to replace BAE with Rose, probably more of a step back though.
Completely agree with that. I wish he had a better attitude, but that's a whole other thing.

In regards to Ade he was that bad last season. A good last three weeks can't taint an entire season. But I do believe he physically could not be that bad again. But but AVB hasn't played him at all since China (I may be wrong)he seems halfway out the door imo. Which would make me sad, there is talent there :adestare:

'ok' for the most part. He worked hard, he held the ball up, he passed well... He wasnt amazing by any stretch but he certainly wasnt our worst player IMHO.

I would say Naughton (by virtue of being out of position) was consistently poor, Parker did more harm than good and Walker was pretty awful (2nd season syndrome) all year. Not to mention that after October Defoe was virtually annonymous.

http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/2013/07/201213-season-ratings-final-results/

Adebayor played 34 games - 14 of which were sub 5.5 ratings, 9 were worst player on the pitch and he had the lowest average rating of anyone for the whole season. He had 1 (ONE) over 7.5 rating for the whole season (I suspect the Chelsea game) and 2 MOTM performances. There was nothing OK about his season by any stretch of the imagination.

Naughton was very poor in the second half of the season only and your comment about Walker being awful all year couldn't be further from the truth.

To clarify this is not my opinion but the collated results of all the ratings from 2 different forums throughout the course of an entire season. I noticed you did not contribute to the ratings at any point so I can only assume you are basing your views on the memory of a handful of matches.

I watched as many games as I could, and while I appreciate your efforts on here and GG I do question the validity of the results - both places are somewhat "hormonal" when it comes to matches and ratings thereafter.

Aside from which Adebayor is the black sheep, the ex gooner cunt who hates Spurs - it would be folly to assume he would be fairly judged in this audience.

And to clarify, it IS opinion. It is just the opinion of the forum posters collated.

I watched as many games as I could, and while I appreciate your efforts on here and GG I do question the validity of the results - both places are somewhat "hormonal" when it comes to matches and ratings thereafter.

Aside from which Adebayor is the black sheep, the ex gooner cunt who hates Spurs - it would be folly to assume he would be fairly judged in this audience.

And to clarify, it IS opinion. It is just the opinion of the forum posters collated.

Stopped reading. If your opinion > than the aggregate opinion of the 200 odd who voted then there's no having a sensible discussion here.

Im not saying my opinion is better than anyone elses, but it is certainly as valid. And at the end of the day what you have collated is the mean OPINION of the board.

Just because you put a lot of work into it the data doesnt suddenly become irrefutable fact, sorry mate. It is the collective OPINION of a message board, an environment known to be as fickle as hell.

For me, I couldn't care less that he's an ex gooner as when he goes on the pitch he's wearing a Spurs shirt & I'll support him. That said he was immensivly frustrating last season. I think if someone comes in for him he'll be sold but if not we can only hope that he sorts himself out

I'm not saying my opinion is better than anyone else, but it is certainly as valid. And at the end of the day what you have collated is the mean OPINION of the board.

Just because you put a lot of work into it the data doesn't suddenly become irrefutable fact, sorry mate. It is the collective OPINION of a message board, an environment known to be as fickle as hell.
tbh @ Lister Lister I think @ zin zin has tried to do something positive by soliciting 'opinions', and certainly they at least can start dialogue on 'what is important' to those who offer their view' and even more so on some 'themes'.

But to use them to 'interpret' or 'derive' anything requires a massive (and I mean MASSIVE) caveat.

They are like 'opinion polls of the general public'. Whereby 'results' can be defined by: where the person stood with a clipboard, what time of day they stood with a clipboard and most importantly the 99% of people who were clever enough to actively avoid some stupid idiot on the street with a clipboard.

Zin, I think you take your results too seriously tbh, I genuinely (and I hope others also) appreciate the time you've put into it. But please don't take offense if I find them as 'skewed'. As any good statistician knows, to extrapolate results from 200 people in two locations, to try and apply that to several thousand around the world just isn't going to work in a 'real sense' let alone allowing for the specific nature of 'the interwebz'.

Ok.

Your opinion of Adebayor @ Lister Lister goes against the opinion of a number of other people and rather than based on all the games Adebayor has played in is based on the games YOU saw Adebayor play in.

There, is that worded better?

@ tricky you made it clear you didn't take the ratings thread seriously from the get go, I don't need to have a discussion with you again about it.

Danny Rose is not starting eleven quality, end of. Not for us anyway, there are reasons he was Sunderland's best player, the main reason being that he was at Sunderland. It would be a step sideways at best to replace BAE with Rose, probably more of a step back though.
the interesting thing is that we have sent good young players out on loan to prem clubs, who then are one of their stand out players (caulker at swansea and walker to villa in recent times spring to mind). I think that the margins at this level are so small that many 'have the potential' but few will 'make that final step' from being 'squad' to starting XI.

A lot of it will also depend on timing. Who our manager is at any given time is an important element in terms of whether a player is 'rated' or not, (after all Harry was singing Livermore's praises as a potential England starter of the future, whereas AVB appears more measured) and even what system they are trying to set up a team to will define how well young players can make that transition.

@ tricky - thanks, much more articulate than I could have put it

Zin, Please take no offence, it is certainly not intended. I agree with Tricky in that what you are doing is positive.

Yes, my opinion of Adebayor is based upon my experience, same as anyone else

@ tricky you made it clear you didn't take the ratings thread seriously from the get go, I don't need to have a discussion with you again about it.
It wasn't that I didn't take them seriously, I was merely forewarning of the problem of 'deriving conclusions'.

As I have said many times, and most sincerely, I appreciated that you did something positive and kept it that way.

And I still do. There isn't really anything to discuss.

Other than Danny Rose of course, as this is a thread about him.

In regards to Ade he was that bad last season. A good last three weeks can't taint an entire season. But I do believe he physically could not be that bad again. But but AVB hasn't played him at all since China (I may be wrong)he seems halfway out the door imo. Which would make me sad, there is talent there :adestare:

His bro died? surely just off on leave for that matter

The one thing BAE and Rose have in common, is they both have an absolute screamer in them (and no, not in the Liberace way either!)

Age is on Rose's side, sheer cool effervescence is on BAE'S side.... Hard to choose between them, as they're not THE BEST OUT THERE by any means, but they ARE the two LB's we've got right now... Unless you count Fryers or Naughton playing out of position???

If we were to go for Fabio Coentrao, I would seriously start worrying about the implications re: Bale....

TBH I'd rather Bale stayed, and we stick with one of BAE or Rose, than get Coentrao in as part of the Bale deal.... But thass just me!

It wasn't that I didn't take them seriously, I was merely forewarning of the problem of 'deriving conclusions'.

As I have said many times, and most sincerely, I appreciated that you did something positive and kept it that way.

And I still do. There isn't really anything to discuss.

Other than Danny Rose of course, as this is a thread about him.

We can do better than Danny Rose and he is the weak link in the team and I hope he rams these words down my throat this coming season

:paulinho:

For me the differences with Rose and BAE are that Rose attacks better but BAE defends better. Clearly AVB prefers his LB's/RB's to push on and attack and in this respect I can see why he would favour Rose, though I have reservations over how this would work, particularly if playing a 4-3-3 in the Prem.

To my mind, the one formation that causes problems to a 4-3-3 is the classic British 4-4-2. With 2 defensive players in the middle a 4-4-2 can completely stifle the middle of the park while posing a huge threat down the wings with both wingers and overlapping fullbacks, overrunning our fullback. For this reason I would prefer a fullback who is more competent when defending...at very least one who knows to stay on his feet and not lunge in.

That said, I see us playing a 4-2-3-1 more often than not (especially against 4-4-2 sides) where the 2 midfielders can drop back and help the defense enabling the CB's to pull out wide and support the full back. This will help Rose with his defensive duties and enable him to get forward as Villas-Boas prefers.

I suppose ultimately it depends on what you want from your fullbacks, AVB wants them to get forward and provide width with less onus on defending as the CB's and defensive CM's are to cover. Personally, I like my fullbacks to defend first and foremost with the occasional foray forward to provide the opposition with a more unexpected threat.

iu7EawmxuqWdf.gif

Better going forward than defending at the moment

I'm going to have to agree after today's game. Granted, he could have just been a bit excited after detecting the weakness of the opposition, but his positioning was a little off and he allowed several crosses to go in front of him when he could've put in a bit of effort and made the block. However, his offensive positioning was excellent as he was always in space to receive the cross and always available to relieve via a pass for the midfielders. All in all I still am a fan and would like to see us place our faith in him, but he's going to have to devote more focus to his defensive positioning training before we start running into better teams.

Back
Top Bottom