Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think Rose is much cop to be honest. However, there's no way Benny can expect to keep his place after last season, when he was fuck awful.

Whichever one of these two plays this season, they will be our major weak link.

Bit rich of Rose to complain about Redknapp not giving him any chances considering it was Redknapp who converted him to a left back from a mediocre striker in the first place in order to give him a role in the side. A favour for which he was repaid by Rose getting sent off for a two-footed dropkick during a crucial Champions League-chasing match two seasons ago.

Sorry Danny, any lack of playing time you've suffered to date is totally on you m'boy.

I dont think Redknapp converted anything, I think he was desperate and made do. Same with Bale.

And I do think Redknapp has long established previous for not playing players who deserve a chance and instead flogging first teamers to death (see Kranjcar as exhibit b)

I dont think Redknapp converted anything, I think he was desperate and made do. Same with Bale.

And I do think Redknapp has long established previous for not playing players who deserve a chance and instead flogging first teamers to death (see Kranjcar as exhibit b)

Well, we could debate back and forth about this all day. My main point remains though is that Rose has had a couple of opportunities in the past and he fucked up his most significant one a year ago with one of the most unnecessary and inappropriate legbreakers (context-wise) that I've seen from a Spurs player- IMO he has to carry the can partially for us blowing that vital Villa tie. I'm also not very impressed with his performances in preseason either. So he's in no position to complain about his chances, in my (personal) view.

Reading that article, I think he was complaining about getting a fair crack of the whip - not necessarily playing.

The the theme seemed (to me) to be that no matter what he did in training it counted for shit and Ekotto played regardless. A fair complaint, IMO, regardless of how good he actually is/isnt.

Otherwise I agree, Im not convinced about him myself - but I do think he needs to be given a fair chance. He has issues, though at the moment maturity and games could see them sorted IMO which would leave us with a viable LB option (cheap, young and English no less) which has to be worth pursuing.

Reading that article, I think he was complaining about getting a fair crack of the whip - not necessarily playing.

The the theme seemed (to me) to be that no matter what he did in training it counted for shit and Ekotto played regardless. A fair complaint, IMO, regardless of how good he actually is/isnt.

Otherwise I agree, Im not convinced about him myself - but I do think he needs to be given a fair chance. He has issues, though at the moment maturity and games could see them sorted IMO which would leave us with a viable LB option (cheap, young and English no less) which has to be worth pursuing.

Fair point. I really don't see how he could have expected to start over Assou-Ekotto who was in the form of his life and one of the League's best LBs during the Redknapp years, though.

Hopefully the general consensus is proven wrong but I'm with the majority, I don't think he is good enough for a top 4 team and bae is a better player. Bae had a poor one last year but he had injury problems.

Fair point. I really don't see how he could have expected to start over Assou-Ekotto who was in the form of his life and one of the League's best LBs during the Redknapp years, though.

Times of ill fitness or form, or cup games to keep Ekotto fresh for big matches... There was opportunity, and IMO a quality manager would have been showing the carrot to Rose (or Kranjcar, or Bassong, or Corluka, or any number of fringe player) in order to keep his second choice players not only fit but engaged and close to form - in case of emergency if nothing else.

Over the last few seasons I would never argue against Ekotto being 100% the better player, but its not all about playing your best player (for a position) in every game is it?

Times of ill fitness or form, or cup games to keep Ekotto fresh for big matches... There was opportunity, and IMO a quality manager would have been showing the carrot to Rose (or Kranjcar, or Bassong, or Corluka, or any number of fringe player) in order to keep his second choice players not only fit but engaged and close to form - in case of emergency if nothing else.

Over the last few seasons I would never argue against Ekotto being 100% the better player, but its not all about playing your best player (for a position) in every game is it?

Oh, I definitely don't disagree that Kranjcar or Corluka deserved more play time in their final seasons with us. In other respects, though, I do think I need to defend Redknapp's record- he gave chances to a lot of fringe and youth players in the Europa League in 2011/12- Pav and Gio were starters in those games and others like Kane and Townsend were able to use them as a launch pad for their careers. It just seems, for whatever reason, that he didn't see enough from Rose to get the saame treatment, which for all we know is fair enough.

I think if he had a more solid record Id have more faith in his judgement, but thats the sort of conversation that can take all day and never get resolved!

I think if he had a more solid record Id have more faith in his judgement, but thats the sort of conversation that can take all day and never get resolved!

In fairness also I don't think AVB's record of giving chances was all that hot last season and I'm amazed more players like Hudd and Jake haven't come out to say anything about it but again, as you say, this conversation can take all day. I totally understand your perspective and your reasons and I won't knock it.

My perspective is simply that I dont think Rose's statement is unfair at all, it fits perfectly with the impression of Redknapp I had for his time with us.

Rose is an athlete but not yet a footballer. He's young and he's getting his chance - after half a season or so, we'll have a clearer idea as to whether he's up to the mark (or can evolve to be).

07-minister.jpg

Amazing how few people afford Ade the same consideration.
Sorry mate, but he didn't get himself in shape in the 2012 preseason. He then got a niggle and spent even longer getting back not because of the injury but he was still not match fit... Then he goes fucking walkabout after doing sweet FA for Togo in the ACN. Up until the last month or so of the season he acted the Prince Clown.

And before anyone chimes in with him training with the Citeh academy, I'll remind you that Defoe spent a lot of this summer taking double sessions alone just to make sure he is fit... That's commitment, even if he isn't as gifted.

Sorry mate, but he didn't get himself in shape in the 2012 preseason. He then got a niggle and spent even longer getting back not because of the injury but he was still not match fit... Then he goes fucking walkabout after doing sweet FA for Togo in the ACN. Up until the last month or so of the season he acted the Prince Clown.
I thought it was a bit of a piss take when he was photographed handing out wads of money when he is on mega pounds at Spurs doing next to nothing to deserve it.

@ WookieD WookieD All I was really getting at is deserving a chance. Ade is, and has proven to be, a fabulous player. 1 bad year* and its all forgotten far to quickly IMO.

*even so he actually performed 'ok' for the most part and was looking pretty damn good by the end of the season

Back
Top Bottom