Crystal Palace v Tottenham Hotspur (Jan 4th - 8pm) *sigh*

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

FWIW I only heard a very small group of extremely wasted idiots singing the song about Levy in the outdoors concourse. It certainly wasn’t sung in the stands.

In my opinion, the defensive work can be improved a lot. With this performance from last night, against an even stronger team, it wouldn't have been enough to keep to zero.

It's too haphazard for me how people try to get the ball out of their own box. Our people have to come up with something.

The pass rate, which we don't get through ourselves and the balls that are lost too easily, is still too high for me.

But the first 20 minutes of the first half and the entire second half was good. I'm really happy that we won this game comfortably.

(and another post without pictures);)

Skipp was lost in that game and it bypassed him time after time. I'm hoping that was a fitness and lack of gametime thing, because I would have hooked him in the first half, as he left PEH exposed in the centre of the park. When his lack of anticipation/fitness started to make him desperate he started a series of worsening fouls until he was booked - I though Oliver was lenient to leave it that long.

Yeah I think it was a fitness thing, we've seen him legging it about before just fine. He hasn't played much football at all for months now, in the opening 15minutes he was bursting forward with the ball and I think it took it out of him. We're fortunate we had another young player capable of stepping in for the second half.

Kulu is also as strong as an ox. He can beat a player with skill and he can also muscle past them fairly easily. I'm not against just putting the ball in the box. We often dawdle too much looking for the perfect pass to open a team up and never actually make the pass. Sometimes we need to get bodies in and cause a bit of a panic then try to feed off the second balls.

Totally agree, it's been a frustration of mine how often we have the ball in the wide are and instead of chancing a cross, we play it back down the line and then slowly to the otherside.

Sometimes it's worth mixing it up, cross a ball into a dangerous area and see if our attackers can get on the end of it, or at least maybe capitalise on an error by the defenders.

Totally agree, it's been a frustration of mine how often we have the ball in the wide are and instead of chancing a cross, we play it back down the line and then slowly to the otherside.

Sometimes it's worth mixing it up, cross a ball into a dangerous area and see if our attackers can get on the end of it, or at least maybe capitalise on an error by the defenders.

It's not like teams aren't doing this to us in every single game every week.

Great win but I'm still not quite sure whether we played well or not.

It was a bit like Villa but with goals.
First half against Villa we totally controlled the ball. Bit like the 2nd half against Palace.
Last 20 minutes of the first half against Palace were like the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half against Villa.

If teams put pressure on, we crack. If they give us the ball it's 50/50 as to weather we can break them down or not.

exactly - 4 would have been more accurate.
He flattered to deceive throughout, and but for one excellent pass would have been largely forgettable.
It was by far and away the best performance in a Spurs shirt but the sum of his contribution was relatively little, apart from that sublime pass.
I only remember him getting past his marker once and IIRC his cross was wasted, he did put in a couple of covering tackles that helped out in Palaces purple patch, but he also seemed to get in the way on a couple of occasions.
All in all I would say it was a promising display, but he's still got a long way to go to be a starter on merit.
A promising display only merits a 4?

Strange logic.

I thought Wright summed up his performance well. He was everywhere, demanding the ball, getting stuck in, made things happen, linked up well and gave CP a headache for much of the time he was on. I wouldn't give him less than a 7.

His pass for Kane's second alone was sublime, and I was happy with him having the confidence to run at their defence and have the confidence to take a punt, though his shot was pretty weak. I'm not sure if it was deflected or not though.

Personally, I don't think he needs to "bulk up" as much as many on here feel he needs to. Yes, he does need a bit more muscle on his frame, but bulk isn't what he needs, just a bit of additional core muscle. What I think would be more important is training him to use the physicality of his opponents to his advantage, so he's riding tackles that are currently putting him on the floor. Core strength rather than bulk is what's needed there, bulk could actually be a detriment to his ability to twist and turn in the way he does.

In much the same way that it was far too early to write him off, it's also too early to go the other way but, as you've said, it was a promising performance.

A promising display only merits a 4?

Strange logic.

I thought Wright summed up his performance well. He was everywhere, demanding the ball, getting stuck in, made things happen, linked up well and gave CP a headache for much of the time he was on. I wouldn't give him less than a 7.

His pass for Kane's second alone was sublime, and I was happy with him having the confidence to run at their defence and have the confidence to take a punt, though his shot was pretty weak. I'm not sure if it was deflected or not though.

Personally, I don't think he needs to "bulk up" as much as many on here feel he needs to. Yes, he does need a bit more muscle on his frame, but bulk isn't what he needs, just a bit of additional core muscle. What I think would be more important is training him to use the physicality of his opponents to his advantage, so he's riding tackles that are currently putting him on the floor. Core strength rather than bulk is what's needed there, bulk could actually be a detriment to his ability to twist and turn in the way he does.

In much the same way that it was far too early to write him off, it's also too early to go the other way but, as you've said, it was a promising performance.
for me one good pass doesn't amount to an above average performance. I did raise to 5 when pushed.....

Still buzzing from last nights unexpected win.

But...And I hate to be that guy....

A lot needs to be done, yesterdays squad was still piss weak, we need several signings and we still have the Conte contract hanging over us and a massive game coming up against our rivals who are flying.

We aren't out of the woods yet.

Sassy Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

You didn’t but clearly he did far better than ‘howler’
I didn't rate him because he played 25 minutes and by the time he came on, the game was finished.
Was neither good nor bad and I have nothing to benchmark him against as this was the first time I've clapped eyes on him.
PEH can and regularly does play a lot better than he did yesterday.

I didn't rate him because he played 25 minutes and by the time he came on, the game was finished.
Was neither good nor bad and I have nothing to benchmark him against as this was the first time I've clapped eyes on him.
PEH can and regularly does play a lot better than he did yesterday.
PEH was worse than against Villa where he was also poor. Quite the achievement in a 4-0 win. He needs to be moved out of the 11

Game was finished (Sarr) but absolutely showed a lot more good than bad. The future beyond the one paced chugger (PEH) is bright. Don’t be afraid of change

Back
Top Bottom