Conference league or bust?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which would be your preference for next season?

• Europa Conference League

• No Europe

Results are only viewable after voting.
I know that Spurs' second-string players aren't good enough but they can get at least 6 games of match practice in Europe (before being knocked out). while Spurs also get some income.

No, it will all end in embarrassment again, the players need a rest after a hard summer watching
love island
Happy I Love You GIF by FOMO Duck

The points you make are all down to attitude and it's difficult to see how this attitude can change with behaviours that only serve to reinforce negative attitudes. When we last missed out on Europe, we finished a very creditable 8th after a catastrophic start to the season. The team played their hearts out under Harry to secure European football but the damage from earlier in the season was too great. They didn't go out of their way to duck Europe as proposed in this thread.

There is a ready-made excuse for each and every failure from the team this season:

Carabao Cup - doesn't matter that we went out in the 3rd Round to Nottingham Forest because it's only the Carabao Cup

FA Cup - doesn't matter that we went out in the 5th Round to a Championship team because it's more important to secure top 4 and qualify for the Champions League

Champions League - doesn't matter that we went out of the CL because we don't have a team good enough to win it

Top 4 - doesn't matter if we finish outside the top 4 because we don't have a team capable of competing in the CL

Europa League - doesn't matter if we don't qualify for the Europa League because we'll only field a weak team and focus on CL qualification instead

Conference League - doesn't matter if we don't qualify for the Conference League because no one cares about third tier European football and we don't need the fixture congestion

"Doesn't matter if we don't" has been the story of this season and if we don't change that mentality it will be the story of next season as well.
I actually fully agree! However, my attitude as a supporter doesn’t influence what happens on the field. The attitude of club and players do. So ideally yeah we’d be in as many comps as possible and believe we can win all of them. It’s just simply not how the club have acted recently. I hope they change too.

I actually fully agree! However, my attitude as a supporter doesn’t influence what happens on the field. The attitude of club and players do. So ideally yeah we’d be in as many comps as possible and believe we can win all of them. It’s just simply not how the club have acted recently. I hope they change too.
I'd argue that fan attitude can influence the players.

If our fans go into games giving a damn and sending those signals from the stands, that is going to directly feed into the players. But if we don't care then that is also going to feed into the players. We are seeing it already since our fans don't give much of a damn about the smaller European trophies and the domestic cups. It feeds into Levy's CL or nothing mantra that the players get spoonfed as the goal for the season.

Boils down to attitude for me..... So long as the players don't fake out and half arse it then let's go.

"AFC Dagobah, we're coming for you!"

Last edited:
awful competition, it truly is.

But i think Spurs the size of the club it is now need to be in a Europian competition of some kind, and it's another trophy to compete for albeit total mickey mouse and not much more respectable thant the Audi Cup.
And it could be used to blood just one or two youngers with senior players which could be benficial.
clicked no by accident. Maybe my subconcious

I was 100% against being in the conference league next season.......but then I remembered that from next year fifth place can potentially get a Champions League spot.

In order to do that it goes to the team with the best coefficient in the league outside the top four. Therefore we have to keep that coefficient up, which means being in the Conference League is better than not.

edit: sorry, that's wrong. Coefficient for fifth was changed.

The European governing body said a fourth place would go to one country's domestic champions by increasing from four to five the number of teams who qualify via the 'Champions Path'. That is Uefa's name for the qualification process for domestic champions who do not automatically go into the group stage.

Uefa, though, rejected a proposal to allow clubs into the competition solely on the basis of past performance - something critics argued would have favoured 'bigger' names and provided them with a safety net if they performed poorly in a season.

I was 100% against being in the conference league next season.......but then I remembered that from next year fifth place can potentially get a Champions League spot.

In order to do that it goes to the team with the best coefficient in the league outside the top four. Therefore we have to keep that coefficient up, which means being in the Conference League is better than not.
Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

edit: sorry, that's wrong. Coefficient for fifth was changed.

The European governing body said a fourth place would go to one country's domestic champions by increasing from four to five the number of teams who qualify via the 'Champions Path'. That is Uefa's name for the qualification process for domestic champions who do not automatically go into the group stage.

Uefa, though, rejected a proposal to allow clubs into the competition solely on the basis of past performance - something critics argued would have favoured 'bigger' names and provided them with a safety net if they performed poorly in a season.
Regardless, we should always maintain our coefficient to get easier games and progress further. Therefore I'm in.

I for one think we need a break out of europe to recoperate, but at the same time this team this club needs the feeling of winning something, no matter how small it can provide us with momentum to win bigger competitions.

New Manager
Mr Levy how about getting some new players?
Levy
Well the team failed to get into Europe and with the numbers in the squad you will have problems keeping the whole squad happy just playing once a week. Just look at Chelsea and they had Europe. no we must sell first.
New Manager
But without new players we will struggle like last season and there are midweek fixtures in the domestic cups and occasional PL matches. You will not get rid of some of the fringe players until the end of the window leaving no time to get better players in.
Levy
Well if only they are qualified for Europe I would have bought first like last summer but the only way of convincing Sanchez to leave is the likelihood of no matches at all.

No we need to be in Europe. We won the UEFA cup when it was considered a third rate cup after European Cup & Cup winners Cup. Just make sure we take it seriously.
Who has had the better season this year?
The team that finishes 8th or the Team that say finishes 15th and wins the Conference. Just think all those Spammers that can taunt us that they have won a trophy more recently than us. Hopefully they will not win it.

New Manager
Mr Levy how about getting some new players?
Levy
Well the team failed to get into Europe and with the numbers in the squad you will have problems keeping the whole squad happy just playing once a week. Just look at Chelsea and they had Europe. no we must sell first.
New Manager
But without new players we will struggle like last season and there are midweek fixtures in the domestic cups and occasional PL matches. You will not get rid of some of the fringe players until the end of the window leaving no time to get better players in.
Levy
Well if only they are qualified for Europe I would have bought first like last summer but the only way of convincing Sanchez to leave is the likelihood of no matches at all.

No we need to be in Europe. We won the UEFA cup when it was considered a third rate cup after European Cup & Cup winners Cup. Just make sure we take it seriously.
Who has had the better season this year?
The team that finishes 8th or the Team that say finishes 15th and wins the Conference. Just think all those Spammers that can taunt us that they have won a trophy more recently than us. Hopefully they will not win it.
Excuse Me What GIF

Back
Top Bottom