Conference league or bust?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which would be your preference for next season?

• Europa Conference League

• No Europe

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's like inviting someone put for a meal at a top 5 star restaurant and then trying to make out as thougb eating at a 2 star option is okay because it's still a meal.

Bulllsh!t.

Yep, I knew you'd very counted among the bizarre group.

Non-sensical statement. If Manchester United and Newcastle United had been in the ECL, you believe they wouldn't have made the final? As it is, the 2 entries from 2 of the 3 highest European coefficient leagues are contesting the final.

You really think Spurs are too good for a trophy that might be won by West Ham? Us of our 3 trophies in over 30 years, only 1 of which, and the oldest at over 30 years ago, didn't come from the second rate league cup.

And I knew you'd be here trying to pretend this shit matters.

Yeah, you can try to hype up Fiorentina, AZ, Basel and West Ham all you like, I'm not biting. The league cup has every team in England throw in to the mix, including City & Liverpool, and then the final is at Wembley. The ECL is contested by a bunch of farmers and a few mid-table European teams, with a final somewhere nobody has heard of.

I don't think we're too good for it, I just don't care about it, because it sucks and shouldn't exist. Nobody wants to see the dregs of the dregs play each other for the dregs cup. I care so little about it that I didn't even bother watching the final last year.

I'd rank it along with the Texaco Cup (aka the International League Board Competition), a third tier cup for British* teams that didn't qualify for either of the two European competitions.

We lost to Motherwell in the 1970-71 quarter final and did anyone care?

*The Scots (and Irish) were useless as usual and it was only ever won by English clubs.

It's like inviting someone put for a meal at a top 5 star restaurant and then trying to make out as thougb eating at a 2 star option is okay because it's still a meal.

Bulllsh!t.
Except we're not getting invited to a top 5 star restaurant are we?

And a 2 star meal after 15 years of starvation would be lovely right right about now :adegrin2:

I'm sorry, when exactly did Spurs become too good to compete against those teams?

When we became one of the 10 richest clubs on the planet, spend hundreds of millions in a transfer window, have one of the top 15 wage bills on the planet, the likes of Kane + Son in our squad, built the best stadium in Europe, blah blah blah ... loads of reasons we should be aiming a shit load higher than the Dregs Championship.

I don't give a shit about this farce when Spurs aren't involved, and won't give a shit when we are either. When we went out to Mura I shrugged my shoulders and laughed. It is crap & unnecessary.

When we became one of the 10 richest clubs on the planet, spend hundreds of millions in a transfer window, have one of the top 15 wage bills on the planet, the likes of Kane + Son in our squad, built the best stadium in Europe, blah blah blah ... loads of reasons we should be aiming a shit load higher than the Dregs Championship.

I don't give a shit about this farce when Spurs aren't involved, and won't give a shit when we are either. When we went out to Mura I shrugged my shoulders and laughed. It is crap & unnecessary.
100%.

we should be aiming a shit load higher than the Dregs Championship.
Of course we should. And we ought to be ashamed to get knocked out in the group stage of the Dregs Championship (which was some bullshit, but still)

I don't give a shit about this farce when Spurs aren't involved
That's where my comment about the centralization of the sport sucking comes from.

A wide open landscape of European football is one of its great charms, and that's being systematically destroyed in the Champions League, a competition I get less interested in every year.

ECL is a horribly named, branded, and structured competition, but it still has some of that old weirdness. Football supporters should advocate for that, IMO.

We've been binning off these supposed "dregs" competitions for over 10 years so that we can focus on the league/CL etc.... and we're still no closer to winning a trophy.

So no thank you, I want us to take this competition seriously. A European final would be amazing and a lot of fun.

Of course we should. And we ought to be ashamed to get knocked out in the group stage of the Dregs Championship (which was some bullshit, but still)

That's where my comment about the centralization of the sport sucking comes from.

A wide open landscape of European football is one of its great charms, and that's being systematically destroyed in the Champions League, a competition I get less interested in every year.

ECL is a horribly named, branded, and structured competition, but it still has some of that old weirdness. Football supporters should advocate for that, IMO.

Can't happen again if we're not in the pile of shit.

Yeah, you can advocate for Spurs traipsing over to Eastern Europe and playing a bunch of part-timers on a shit artifical pitch somewhere, but I'm good.

Yeah, you can advocate for Spurs traipsing over to Eastern Europe and playing a bunch of part-timers on a shit artifical pitch somewhere, but I'm good.
UEFA competitions are supposed to raise the standard of the game across the continent rather than just hoover up all the revenue so ten clubs can get ever richer playing each other every year.

Whether we're in that cabal or not, it sucks.

And I knew you'd be here trying to pretend this shit matters.

Yeah, you can try to hype up Fiorentina, AZ, Basel and West Ham all you like, I'm not biting. The league cup has every team in England throw in to the mix, including City & Liverpool, and then the final is at Wembley. The ECL is contested by a bunch of farmers and a few mid-table European teams, with a final somewhere nobody has heard of.

I don't think we're too good for it, I just don't care about it, because it sucks and shouldn't exist. Nobody wants to see the dregs of the dregs play each other for the dregs cup. I care so little about it that I didn't even bother watching the final last year.
I don't watch a football match that doesn't include Spurs, so your last statement doesn't really matter to me. I won't watch the CL final, either.

More people globally watched the ECL final last year than the EL final or any league cup final ever.

Moreover, you can make €16M for winning the ECL. Sure, that's not a lot. But you don't even make €500k for winning the LC. The League Cup prize money doesn't even cover the cost of participation for a PL club.

Yea it’s the chance of a trophy, yes we shouldn’t turn our nose up at things when we’re not exactly world class right now, and yea it’s a chance to blood young players…

BUT we have to be realistic. Our recent experiences with conf and europa have had no such benefits. Not even close. Supporting this football club should be bloody enioyable. Majority of our European fixtures since Amsterdam have been downright depressing.

In theory, playing a committed fun young team against interesting and new European opposition SHOULD be fun. But nothing about how this club operates makes me think it would be.

Domestic comps only, refined fixture list. Good core group of lads playing well under a progressive manager. Fewest distractions possible. Let’s have that.
The points you make are all down to attitude and it's difficult to see how this attitude can change with behaviours that only serve to reinforce negative attitudes. When we last missed out on Europe, we finished a very creditable 8th after a catastrophic start to the season. The team played their hearts out under Harry to secure European football but the damage from earlier in the season was too great. They didn't go out of their way to duck Europe as proposed in this thread.

There is a ready-made excuse for each and every failure from the team this season:

Carabao Cup - doesn't matter that we went out in the 3rd Round to Nottingham Forest because it's only the Carabao Cup

FA Cup - doesn't matter that we went out in the 5th Round to a Championship team because it's more important to secure top 4 and qualify for the Champions League

Champions League - doesn't matter that we went out of the CL because we don't have a team good enough to win it

Top 4 - doesn't matter if we finish outside the top 4 because we don't have a team capable of competing in the CL

Europa League - doesn't matter if we don't qualify for the Europa League because we'll only field a weak team and focus on CL qualification instead

Conference League - doesn't matter if we don't qualify for the Conference League because no one cares about third tier European football and we don't need the fixture congestion

"Doesn't matter if we don't" has been the story of this season and if we don't change that mentality it will be the story of next season as well.

Back
Top Bottom