Conference league or bust?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which would be your preference for next season?

• Europa Conference League

• No Europe

Results are only viewable after voting.

cretinousgoat

Ending the Ange Out mob
Just created this thread as I’m curious how people feel, having seen a few brief debates/discussions on it.

Simple question - would you prefer to finish 7th and qualify for the conference league, or not qualify at all?

I’m torn because I do like seeing us playing in Europe…however let’s be honest, the conference league will in no way, shape or form make any difference re attracting players, and the extra games could be a hindrance unless we play the youth.

So overall, I’m ‘out’.

Bust. If we played youth players we’d get destroyed every game. If we blooded a couple then fair enough but the last thing we need is first team players playing in that competition

If we lose Kane it’s probably going to one hard season next year. We can do without the distraction, concentrate on building a young team with a long term play style, do well in the league of possible (5 places for CL next season) and try and win a FA or League cup as a bonus.

We’d be too stretched trying to do that and the Conference League which is a joke competition.

Just created this thread as I’m curious how people feel, having seen a few brief debates/discussions on it.

Simple question - would you prefer to finish 7th and qualify for the conference league, or not qualify at all?

I’m torn because I do like seeing us playing in Europe…however let’s be honest, the conference league will in no way, shape or form make any difference re attracting players, and the extra games could be a hindrance unless we play the youth.

So overall, I’m ‘out’.
Yea it’s a tricky one.

I think the conference league itself is a great way to offer clubs that finish outside of the top 4 European exposure.

The issue for me is that Spurs are far too big of a club for the league. It’s viewed that it’s beneath us. We see this amongst fans, and I’m sure some players share the same sentiment, which leads us to not take it serious, and we end up wasting everyone’s time.

Ultimately I’d prefer us to be fully out of Europa as we may benefit more from having a season where we can just focus on the league and domestic cups, and allow us to get back to basics.

All that being said Spurs are not in any position to be turning their noses up at any competition/trophies.

We’re not in a position to blood youth players in league matches, or to get senior squad players up to fitness either. So the Conf might be a good way to get this done.

But it really depends on the size of our squad next season. If we have plenty of depth, I’m all for it, but if we shift a bit of timber (as we should), it’s better being avoided.

It's regarded as a complete utter joke , rivals will take the Mick , has no prestige and could be ended in 5 years as their is no interest.
Also for the ownership their is no financial insensitive so basically a complete waste of time.

I think I'm going to buck the tend a little here by being in favour... just.

Yes, it's a banter cup and a distraction, but it's also a chance to give non-regulars some game time and win a trophy. It also comes with coefficient points, which will be valuable if and when we return to the Champion's League.

So, I'm not enthusiastic about it, but think it's better on balance to be in it than have no European football.

For me, it's about committing to win every game because that's what builds a winning mentality. I think wanting the team to underperform so they don't draw the short straw for the Conference League is a bad mindset and doesn't bode well for future success in any competition. Hence the reason we went out of all of our competitions this season through questionable motivation. The motivation wasn't there for the Conference League in 21/22 so it wasn't there for the Champions League in 22/23.

It comes down to starting as you mean to go on. The push for success next season means playing to win our remaining fixtures this season not by blowing them off because we're too proud to play in the third tier of European competition.

My attitude towards the Conference League is that if participating clubs take the competition seriously (as West Ham are doing) the competition will gradually become more accepted which is how the Champions League and the Europa League achieved the status they have. When Manchester United first played in the European Cup in the late 50s, the FA refused to give them postponements for their league fixtures because they saw European football as a novelty and a waste of time. It took time (and a terrible tragedy) for European football to be respected.

55/45 in favour as long as the manager uses the squad players and some youth in the group stages. Don't even put the best ~5 players in the match day squad. That really should still be enough to get to the next round.

The knockouts contain mostly decent teams and god we need experience winning knockout matches, and the coefficient points and all that.

Would MUCH prefer Europa though.

Generally torn about this but our squad is just too big and can't see us trimming it all the way down. So there's opportunity for squad players and youth to get some minutes.

There are some well established teams towards the end of the tournament that could be few decent games.

Also there is that winning breeds winning type thing. It's all experience for some of the younger players for sure.

Ultimately, We haven't really earned our right not to be in it.

They definitely need to change the name though.

Not for me. We’ll end up playing Son/Kane in games like usual as the second string aren’t good enough or can’t motivate themselves to win games.

Plus without Europe it means we will have to slim down our squad a lot more. End up in it and we have to keep players like winks, sessegnon, Sanchez, Dier to give them games. Without Europe’s tertiary competition they can be let go.

I posted this yesterday, replying to someone else, on another thread,

It's not a case of turning our nose up. We can't compete seriously playing our 1st team in 4 competitions; League, League Cup, FA Cup and Europe. Personally, if we don't qualify for the Champions League, I'd rather we missed out on Europe completely next season. Fuck playing endless weekly Thursday and Sunday games. With a new manager for next season it will give him more time on the training ground, plus with less games, should give us a better chance of finishing higher in the PL, hopefully the top 4. Plus, we should be able to give the League Cup and FA Cup a serious go.

I'm a little on the fence with this one. On the one hand enic need a big wake up call and missing out on Europe completely shows a dramatic fall where as remaining in Europe may give the view that we are not very far from where enic want us to be which in my eyes means the club doesn't get what it needs over the coming months. On the other hand it can be used to give players game time and a chance to prove yourself and work your way in to the starting 11. I think there would need to be transparency ftom the coach and club that if it was to be used in the early stages this way that fans know what they're turning up for and are charged as such. I really can't make my mind up on which scenario I'm more comfortable with tbh.

No thanks. We'd end up playing a goodish team, not quite good enough to win it, but good enough to drag half the first team squad to godknowswhereistan on a Thursday night whilst playing to a half empty stadium at home. Then someone (probably Harry if he's still around) would get injured after coming on in the 89th minute to try to get an away equaliser to go through to the next round.

6th or 8th for me.

Back
Top Bottom