Conference league or bust?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which would be your preference for next season?

• Europa Conference League

• No Europe

Results are only viewable after voting.
No ECL for me.

If the idea is to play and develop youth, then I would think we probably wouldn't make it out of the group, and I don't really see a point. If the idea is to take it seriously, I think it's an unnecessary distraction in what has to be a season of taking stock and (re)building. We are miles off the pace in the PL and that needs to be addressed first, and I don't see how the ECL can be a benefit here.

Having no Europe has shown to be helpful to teams battling for the title, we are a million miles away from the title. I would rather play some attacking football, have a clear plan on and off the field, and win ANY trophy over what we have been doing the past 4 years or so.

Not sure playing the youth players is the simple answer a few people are stating, the travel and schedule will still disrupt the new manager having a week to implement new ideas between games. It will be 2 days here and 3 days there all season.

And it there is one thing our squad needs, it’s intense tactical training and direction for each game.

Not sure playing the youth players is the simple answer a few people are stating, the travel and schedule will still disrupt the new manager having a week to implement new ideas between games. It will be 2 days here and 3 days there all season.

And it there is one thing our squad needs, it’s intense tactical training and direction for each game.

Yeh unless the youth team and assistant manager got segregated and only they played it will impact our FA cup, league cup and league form.

Every time I go to click on YES, I think of reasons not to - but then every time I go to click on NO, I think of reasons not to.

And for that reason, I'm a don't know.

I don't see how this competition is any different to the league cup, which is the only trophy we've won in 3 decades.

You should see the lineups of the teams we beat to win it in 1999.

In.

1) Our goal is to be in CL every year AND do well in the league. We have to get used to playing in both domestic and European competitions simultaneously and doing well. It doesn’t do us any good to do well in the league only when we have no Europe.

2) we haven’t been able to win anything lately so it’s not accurate to say any competition is below us.

3) Decent chance to develop players who can’t get time in EPL games. That doesn’t mean we throw 11 kids on. But giving time to 3-4 extra players can help give them opportunities to get in form. This year, we could have given that opportunity to Gil, Spence, Sarr, etc.

4) Similarly, gives the manager a time to try out some new things tactically and not have to worry about getting blasted in the league. If we were in the ECL, maybe we could have played royal at RCB a long time ago, and discovered we had better options besides the same 5 on defense every game. Maybe Spence never goes on loan and excels when he’s given time. Of course, conte was an inflexible cunt, so this probably wouldn’t have happened with him.

I feel this is going to be a problem going forward, the English team is always going to feel too big to be in it. I am voting yes, potential new teams and unusual away trips. Also an excuse for a day off work on the beers Win/Win

The question being pitched is a bit like being asked if you would prefer to eat only 1 pot noodle a day, for a month, or starve.

Bombay bad boy for me.

I feel this is going to be a problem going forward, the English team is always going to feel too big to be in it.
This is why UEFA needs to change the setup of the competition. Not least of which the horrendous name and branding, what on earth were they thinking?

The ECL exists to get games for the leagues where European competition represents a higher standard of play than the week-to-week in the league. They should set up a group stage earlier in the competition without the top five league entrants and then create a true cup competition on the back end.

Also the way the finals of the EL and ECL are shunted onto weeknights is ridiculous. The European season should culminate in one weekend in which the ECL and EL finals are on Saturday and the CL final is Sunday.

The big five leagues should also give their ECL slot to the furthest cup advancer among teams not qualifying for the EL or CL.

I don't see how this competition is any different to the league cup, which is the only trophy we've won in 3 decades.

Because you don't play Ac aklialalalalalanahada in the League Cup, and generally you at least get to play a top team (A city, chelsea, united etc) in the final.

This years ECL final will probably be Fiorentina vs West Ham.

It can fuck off.

Probably say it’s below the league cup and a bit above the Audi Cup. About half way in between.

Those who voted no better start making your peace with the idea, because I think ECL is exactly where we land.

Liverpool and Brighton have 5 and 6 more or less locked up. Villa look slightly wobbly last few weeks, we are 3 points ahead of them with equal matches played, we play each other next week, then we end with Brentford and Leeds while they have Liverpool and Brighton.

:richlips:

Those who voted no better start making your peace with the idea, because I think ECL is exactly where we land.

Liverpool and Brighton have 5 and 6 more or less locked up. Villa look slightly wobbly last few weeks, we are 3 points ahead of them with equal matches played, we play each other next week, then we end with Brentford and Leeds while they have Liverpool and Brighton.

:richlips:

Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU

We beat Liverpool at Anfield in the 4th Round and the treble-winning Manchester United team in the Quarter-Finals. The two-legged Semi-Final matches against Wimbledon were tight, cagey affairs as was the Final against Leicester and we had to work hard to grind out the results in both. I think we can hold our head up high with that one.

The 2008 success was also hard-earned. The QF against pre-billionaire takeover Man City was sheer agony to listen to on the radio when we had to hold on to a 1-0 lead with 10 men for 75 minutes after Zokora was sent off. The 5-1 against Woolwich speaks for itself as does Woodgate's extra time winner against Chelsea in the Final. Very proud of both trophies.

And as stated in my previous post in this thread, I'm very pro Conference League.

Back
Top Bottom