Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Son, Lucas and Dele were always going to be ineffective against a team playing 10 at the back. 2 of them rely heavily on space and getting in behind while Dele relies on the other attacking players to create holes by pulling defenders out of the position in which he pops up. If we'd have had Messi playing up top or on the wing last night he wouldn't have been able to do any more. Of course Eriksen was going to be the most likely to create given he was deeper and Brighton gave him all the time he wanted.
I actually think Moura was effective and tried different things the whole time he was on the pitch.

Even when people say he plays "bad" he plays good. He is the only world class player at spurs.

I'd tend to say Kane is the player most to be consider world class out of our group, he is the player out of all of ours who could get into any other team although this season he has been hit badly by injuries.

Son, Lucas and Dele were always going to be ineffective against a team playing 10 at the back. 2 of them rely heavily on space and getting in behind while Dele relies on the other attacking players to create holes by pulling defenders out of the position in which he pops up. If we'd have had Messi playing up top or on the wing last night he wouldn't have been able to do any more. Of course Eriksen was going to be the most likely to create given he was deeper and Brighton gave him all the time he wanted.

Have to agree with this, when your strength is exploiting space when there is no space it's very hard to look good, it wasn't from lack of effort either, just excellent park-the-bus defending.

Eriksen had two on him for most of the night but with his never ending movement he still found the space to get off 7 shots, as we know it only takes him one good one and it's good-night nurse ...

I also have some sympathy for Llorente he's at his best jumping across a defender when both have a standing start, it's why he's so dangerous at corners and set pieces. This requires crosses to be well over head height and close to where Llorente is standing, ball to man not man to ball. Time and time again our crosses failed to even reach him having been played at head height into the near post, that maybe where Kane likes to attack the ball, but not Llorente.

Did we not cover this in training? If we are going to play Llorente then we have to cross the ball to where he wants it, it shouldn't be that difficult.

Looking ahead neither West Ham or Ajax have a back ten capable of doing such a good job, there will be far more space than last night ... mind you they might also get out of their own half a bit more ......

I actually think Moura was effective and tried different things the whole time he was on the pitch.
all he tried in the second half was coming inside and laying it off, with that single shot of note. I don't like him on the left. First half he looked decent, not sure why him and Son weren't switched back.

interesting watching us first half - all those recent games vs City seemed to be rubbing off on Poch - wingers out wide, FBs pushed narrow alongside Vic. Not seen us deploy these tactics before.

Last nights game was very difficult for many players, it was packed and so compressed so it's not a surprise Rose and Toby looked effective and had decent chances as they had more space further out. I was screaming at the TV to fizz balls in, to cause chaos or a fortunate deflection. Nobody is going to score a header from floated balls, power can't be easily generated, it just gives the keeper and defenders a chance to clear it.

CE had a better game than he had in a while but still way off his best (apart from the goal), I thought the challenge from Lucus in the 31 minute to nick the ball at the half-way line and start the transition into attack is exactly what CE has lost from his game of late. It's not a crunching tackle but one that can set the likes of Sonny free. VJ made a similar tackle (with more venom) towards the end, again it started the transition into attack.

all he tried in the second half was coming inside and laying it off, with that single shot of note. I don't like him on the left. First half he looked decent, not sure why him and Son weren't switched back.

interesting watching us first half - all those recent games vs City seemed to be rubbing off on Poch - wingers out wide, FBs pushed narrow alongside Vic. Not seen us deploy these tactics before.
Poch knew it would be tight and congested, looked like he was hoping to draw some defenders out and create space but they were wise most of the time and remained compact. Horrible to watch but they were well drilled. We did well to stick at it and get the points.

I'd tend to say Kane is the player most to be consider world class out of our group, he is the player out of all of ours who could get into any other team although this season he has been hit badly by injuries.
Why bother even replying to a 'Spurs' fan who doesn't think Kane's world class?!! What exactly does he want in a striker? Man's an idiot.

Poch knew it would be tight and congested, looked like he was hoping to draw some defenders out and create space but they were wise most of the time and remained compact. Horrible to watch but they were well drilled. We did well to stick at it and get the points.
i actually liked that he tried it. We all see how well City keep teams hemmed in using these transitional formations - hopefully he'll coach it in properly over the summer.

Really hopeful that CE will sign a new contract. If Real get Hazard then would he want to go There? And if he doesn’t, then where else is better than N17? He’s the main man in midfield, we’re 16-1 on for CL next season, and even with a ton of injuries and playing 9/10 of our home marches away we’re in the last 4 of the CL.

The more I think about it, the grass looks greener at Spurs.

he's been having a below par season if you ask me, still think he's great though and hope he stays. i don't think he will stay unfortunately.

Really hopeful that CE will sign a new contract. If Real get Hazard then would he want to go There? And if he doesn’t, then where else is better than N17? He’s the main man in midfield, we’re 16-1 on for CL next season, and even with a ton of injuries and playing 9/10 of our home marches away we’re in the last 4 of the CL.

The more I think about it, the grass looks greener at Spurs.

Hazard and Eriksen are totally different players. They could easily complement each other. However, if only Eriksen feels reassured that Poch will stay on, then I think there might be a good chance of him extending his contract. I think that Poch is vital to Eriksen's desire to stay.

ultimately its a mark of how good he is hat this debate still rages. When you consider he was miles better than dele last night, Son's first touch was like a prime Jason Lee, llorente was completely anonymous and Moura did less than fuck all once moved to the left... yet here we arguing about Eriksen again, who was easily the one trying the hardest to make things happen and scored the crucial winner.

Last night in and amongst average performances, Eriksen was the best player of the front 5.

It is the mark of the player that he produced, as he did against Burnley at home.

But he can be even better. I believe the player himself would accept that.

Hazard and Eriksen are totally different players. They could easily complement each other. However, if only Eriksen feels reassured that Poch will stay on, then I think there might be a good chance of him extending his contract. I think that Poch is vital to Eriksen's desire to stay.

Probably correct but I think Eriksen's possible stay will be based on partly his 'dream move', maybe a change of football culture and whether he believes we will get the players of quality we all know we are still short of.

I cannot conceive that we won't offer Eriksen a huge deal because we know his importance to us (as he does) and his age.

What he will know with us is the reasonable level of certainty, around the manager and some players.

Go to Madrid and hmmmm. Barcelona I cannot see happening because they have other needs and PSG is not a challenge. Bayern would be my worry. I don't think Eriksen would leave for United but I do think Pogba will leave a gap he and they might believe he could fill.

Eriksen staying would all round be a good thing because I do think replacing him would be very difficult but not impossible.

I'm not convinced eriksen is "marquee" enough for madrid, at a time where Perez will be predictably under pressure to appease the masses with something big.

Barca - where does eriksen fit in there? they have messi and cuntinho filling the creative positions. i think he'd find himself in and out of the team and mainly playing deeper.

Think as a player he's been evolving for some time now.

He's not the typical #10 anymore. Don't think he's the playmaker we saw when he first came over.

He's now the guy who starts an attack/counter who feeds the #10. So in an ideal world, we find that #10 player this season allowing Eriksen to sit a little deeper while Sonny/Lucas attack from the wings

Back
Top Bottom