Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In fact financial compromise can lead to an improved quality of life is one's isnt governed by shopping, trends and shiny things.

If I understand the sentence, and it's a little difficult as the words and punctuation are about what you'd expect from a nine year old; this is a breathtaking rejection of Western Economics in the 20th/21st century as proposed by Keynes (and others).

Still, it must be true... because you say so.

Can I suggest emigration to Laos or North Korea? They have markets there, but only have grass and twigs to sell. You may be able to get a stream to watch our beloved THFC, although they're probably still on dial-up.

Last edited:
If I understand the sentence, and it's a little difficult as the words and punctuation are about what you'd expect from a nine year old; this is a breathtaking rejection of Western Economics in the 20th/21st century as proposed by Keynes (and others).

Still, it must be true... because you say so.

Can I suggest emigration to Laos or North Korea? They have markets there, but only have grass and twigs to sell. You may be able to get a stream to watch our beloved THFC, although they're probably still on dial-up.

Weren't you just whining about unnecessary insults?

...and the grammar was fine thx.

Despite your protestation, maybe you're just better off with one-liners afterall...

Tell me... How does an economist measure happiness?

...You prick. :thumbup:

You prick.

I think you're making my point

...and the grammar was fine thx.

Only if you left school at 12.

Tell me... How does an economist measure happiness?

I'd need to use abstract concepts far beyond your ability to understand.

You and that other half-wit Cretinousgoat (Never has a user-name been so royally lived down to) are not conjoined twins or lovers or something? (13 disagrees in one minute)

I can't believe that this is a serious response. Have you ever heard of the market? He's paid what he's worth and comparable to what others are paid, and the ability of his employer to pay it.

He's finished as a footballer by about 35 if he stays injury free. You're begrudging him stability for him and his family for the next 50 odd years after he retires?

These guys have unique skills that the rest of us can only dream of. They need to make their money while they can. He's currently on about 70K a week. Why can't he earn 5 times as much?

Presumably you work for as little as possible. Or are you envious?

My point is that it's fucking ridiculous to insinuate that footballers will struggle financially because their careers are only short.

Ramsey on his 400K PW will earn more in one year than the average bloke on 40K will in 30 plus years.

My point is that it's fucking ridiculous to insinuate that footballers will struggle financially because their careers are only short.

Ramsey on his 400K PW will earn more in one year than the average bloke on 40K will in 30 plus years.

This is the envy argument - everyone should be paid in accord with the highest paid person. I'm sorry, that's not how a free market works. If we are willing to pay £60 for our tickets and the TV companies are willing to pay billions for TV rights, the players will be paid astonishing sums of money (in reality, not as much as the top US baseball, basketball, hockey and NFL players)

Eriksen has about 5-7 years left at the top (with us hopefully, but in reality elsewhere), and then 50 odd years to provide for his family. Why shouldn't he paid handsomely?

I'm old enough to remember the £20 a week cap on 1st division footballers that Jimmy Hill help do away with. Do we want to return there?

I think you're making my point

No doubt you think that.... The truth is oh so very different.

Only if you left school at 12.

Ironic, considering how blissfully unaware you are of how childish you're coming accross.

I'd need to use abstract concepts far beyond your ability to understand.

Nice 'escape pod' you got there......

You and that other half-wit Cretinousgoat (Never has a user-name been so royally lived down to) are not conjoined twins or lovers or something? (13 disagrees in one minute)

Nah, you're just conducting yourself like a triggered asshole.

I can't believe that this is a serious response. Have you ever heard of the market? He's paid what he's worth and comparable to what others are paid, and the ability of his employer to pay it.

He's finished as a footballer by about 35 if he stays injury free. You're begrudging him stability for him and his family for the next 50 odd years after he retires?

These guys have unique skills that the rest of us can only dream of. They need to make their money while they can. He's currently on about 70K a week. Why can't he earn 5 times as much?

Presumably you work for as little as possible. Or are you envious?
He needs to make his money whilst he can?

At 70k per week a footballer will earn more money in a single year than 95% of the British public will earn in their entire life (a pretty easy sum as the top 5% begins at £70,000 per annum).

By the time he is 35 he will have earnt over £50,000,000 during his career if he plateaus at £70,000pw.

So that argument doesn’t even begin to stack up. Football has become greedy, venal and out of touch with reality at normal people’s expense.

Football has become greedy, venal and out of touch with reality at normal people’s expense.

Actually I agree. However you can't buck the market. If we're willing to pay to see the players demonstrate their extraordinary skills and follow our clubs, then SKY, BT, Amazon, Facebook will continue to pay stupid sums of money - until the bubble bursts and then there is a correction.

However the alternative is to cap salaries. Then who decides?

He needs to make his money whilst he can?

At 70k per week a footballer will earn more money in a single year than 95% of the British public will earn in their entire life (a pretty easy sum as the top 5% begins at £70,000 per annum).

By the time he is 35 he will have earnt over £50,000,000 during his career if he plateaus at £70,000pw.

So that argument doesn’t even begin to stack up. Football has become greedy, venal and out of touch with reality at normal people’s expense.

I kind of agree but not entirely.

The football product is an astonishing success story and ultimately that's because it entertains its fans and the corporates.

If the television companies and other providers pay the clubs it would be immoral for a good portion of that not to be passed on. It has to be.

The result is that those small number of players at the top and now in the 2/3 tiers below are paid sums which more than make the eye water.

So the issue for clubs, who lets face it are not short of a few bob is now going to be how to best deal with this relatively new phenomenon.

Last edited:
Ironic, considering how blissfully unaware you are of how childish you're coming accross

I've posted (while trying to watch Man U getting stuffed) about 20 reasoned, lengthy and considered posts describing my views and opinions on Eriksen, what he's paid and how I think the market decides.

You and your mates post one-liners, insults and 'Disagrees' like confetti. You're absolutely within your rights to disagree, however please respond with reasoned, lengthy and considered posts setting out your opinions. It's a forum. We share and discuss opinions rather than trade insults - or am I missing something?

Back
Top Bottom