Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is the envy argument - everyone should be paid in accord with the highest paid person. I'm sorry, that's not how a free market works. If we are willing to pay £60 for our tickets and the TV companies are willing to pay billions for TV rights, the players will be paid astonishing sums of money (in reality, not as much as the top US baseball, basketball, hockey and NFL players)

Eriksen has about 5-7 years left at the top (with us hopefully, but in reality elsewhere), and then 50 odd years to provide for his family. Why shouldn't he paid handsomely?

I'm old enough to remember the £20 a week cap on 1st division footballers that Jimmy Hill help do away with. Do we want to return there?

This is a ridiculous argument that gets recycled everytime we're meant to feel sorry for them earning all that money but only until they're 35 and stop playing then what do they do.

Well when they're 35 and stop playing they can always go get... you know a job like us plebs.

Yeah they're paid what they're worth, market dictates blah blah.

It's still fucking obscene and something needs to be done to stop it otherwise where does it end?

Footballs shite now, who gives a shit if City win the league, even City fans know deap down it's all a bit fake. The seasons only interesting because we're all hoping Liverpool slip up again and we're getting a new stadium.

Love my club, but hate football and footballers, selfish greedy cunts. Yeah Eriksens off, Tobys off fuck em, fuck feeling sorry for them because they won't get paid £200k or whatever once they retire.

This is the envy argument - everyone should be paid in accord with the highest paid person. I'm sorry, that's not how a free market works. If we are willing to pay £60 for our tickets and the TV companies are willing to pay billions for TV rights, the players will be paid astonishing sums of money (in reality, not as much as the top US baseball, basketball, hockey and NFL players)

Eriksen has about 5-7 years left at the top (with us hopefully, but in reality elsewhere), and then 50 odd years to provide for his family. Why shouldn't he paid handsomely?

I'm old enough to remember the £20 a week cap on 1st division footballers that Jimmy Hill help do away with. Do we want to return there?

You don't understand what I'm saying do you?

A MAN ON 400K PER WEEK IS NOT GOING TO STRUGGLE EVEN IF HIS CAREER IS A SHORT ONE.

Fucking hell man.

You don't understand what I'm saying do you?

A MAN ON 400K PER WEEK IS NOT GOING TO STRUGGLE EVEN IF HIS CAREER IS A SHORT ONE.

Fucking hell man.

I think I do.

What if his career is cut short by injury next week? The clubs will have insured against this but his earning power will have fallen dramatically.

He has a wife and family and wants to secure their future.

Presumably you're saying that you wouldn't behave like this and refuse, say 75%, of the £400K?

Again, who decides the level of the salary cap?

Actually I agree. However you can't buck the market. If we're willing to pay to see the players demonstrate their extraordinary skills and follow our clubs, then SKY, BT, Amazon, Facebook will continue to pay stupid sums of money - until the bubble bursts and then there is a correction.

However the alternative is to cap salaries. Then who decides?
I’ll respond to Notabadsquad in this post as well as you’ve raised a similar question.

In my opinion as soon as it affects a normal parent being able to afford taking their child to a game then the model is broken.

We can all make a choice on whether we can afford a sports channel subscription as there is always another way of watching the match on the box, but being a fan isn’t a choice it’s an addiction, an identity and a belonging... we all need to make the pilgrimage, whether that’s once in a lifetime from across the globe or week in week out. It should also be said that we also make the game and without the passion in stadium the game would crumble.

The football associations, clubs, agents and even players have broken the social contract and duty of care. Just because they can doesn’t mean they should. Just because you can manipulate football junkies to allow for £x00,000 per week wages doesn’t mean you should.

I don’t think it can be controlled for one second but I personally feel like I’ll do a few seasons at NWHL and then probably leave football to eat itself and vote with my feet.

Who decides how much they should be paid?

Personally I think this is a bubble which will burst and then the market will correct itself.

At the moment it's 'fill yer boots'.

Not going to happen, not in the short term while fans continue subscribing to sky even when you can get it all for free.

How many people still pay the TV license ... How many still watch the BBC apart from momentum activists, grannies and people who's TV is broken and stuck on channel 1 yet eople still pay when they don't have to.

In the longer term, once 5G is rolled out Amazon, Facebook etc will come into the market in a huge way with online services. Football will become more immersive as will a lot of things in everyday life ... Think we're all addicted to phones and laptops now, wait until 5G takes off.

I think I do.

What if his career is cut short by injury next week? The clubs will have insured against this but his earning power will have fallen dramatically.

Presumably you're saying that you wouldn't behave like this and refuse, say 75%, of the £400K?

I think that the players have their own personal insurance to cover for an injury ending their career.

If you think about it, they'd be pretty stupid not to.

then probably leave football to eat itself
I agree with most of these sentiments. Football 'eating itself' is the bubble bursting. There must be a correction as these spiralling wages cannot be sustained without ever increasing TV revenues (or country backing). The last renegotiation saw the sums agreed for a three year contract fall.

However the broadcasters will start to push IPTV-delivered services where you pay per game almost certainly at an increased overall cost.

Last edited:
I think I do.

What if my career is cut short or yours or anyone else who isn't a footballer, I have a wife and family, no ones feeling sorry for us ... Fucking donut

What would the best wage be for Erickson? 150K, 200K 250K? and then what? we have the rest of the team waiting outside Levi's office asking for a rise.

By the way, I can't see Ramsey earning more that his Welsh mate Bale!

What if my career is cut short or yours or anyone else who isn't a footballer, I have a wife and family, no ones feeling sorry for us ... Fucking donut

So you're reading across your's and my career situation to that of a Pro footballer? I think that's stretching the analogy rather thin.

Would you take the money if you had a unique skill that other's were will to pay handsomely for?

I think I do.

No-one ever turns down a job promotion cos they're happy to remain doing what they're doing instead?

That fact you are unable to comprehend as much speaks volumes about your value system....

Picture of your bank manager take pride of place inside your wallet does it?

Few lesser tossers like you in the world we may just get the 'shift' the rest of us crave.

No-one ever turns down a job promotion cos they're happy to remain doing what they're doing instead?

I'm sure some do. However many (most) don't. I thought I was advocating Eriksen pushing for a higher salary (either with us or elsewhere)!

That fact you are unable to comprehend as much speaks volumes about your value system...

You have no idea what my value system is! I have already stated that spiralling salaries are a bubble that will eventually correct itself(as markets do)

Few lesser tossers like you in the world we may just get the 'shift' the rest of us crave.

Oh well, back to insults. Presumably a return to five year plans and the greater Soviet will have you lining all dissidents up against a wall?

You still haven't answered the question: Who decides on the level of the cap? Please try to answer this as the only position you appear to have is to disagree with everything I write. (Again, your right to do so)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom