Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can't really begrudge him these sums.

For us mere mortals they look, and are, obscene. But he will only have this earning power for about 5 seasons. After that it's a downward slope (unless you're Ronaldo, Sanchez or Ozil!). He needs to set himself and his family up for life.

If he goes, then good luck to him. He's been a good servant. Unless he goes to Woolwich in which case...

We should offer him a Kane/Lloris-type contract and see what happens. I don't think he'll take it as he wants the glory/kudos associated with Real Barca.
Dick

This "They only have a short career to earn as much as possible" is a fucking laugh. He earns as much in a week as some people do in 10 years.

I can't believe that this is a serious response. Have you ever heard of the market? He's paid what he's worth and comparable to what others are paid, and the ability of his employer to pay it.

He's finished as a footballer by about 35 if he stays injury free. You're begrudging him stability for him and his family for the next 50 odd years after he retires?

These guys have unique skills that the rest of us can only dream of. They need to make their money while they can. He's currently on about 70K a week. Why can't he earn 5 times as much?

Presumably you work for as little as possible. Or are you envious?

I can't believe that this is a serious response. Have you ever heard of the market? He's paid what he's worth and comparable to what others are paid, and the ability of his employer to pay it.

He's finished as a footballer by about 35 if he stays injury free. You're begrudging him stability for him and his family for the next 50 odd years after he retires?

These guys have unique skills that the rest of us can only dream of. They need to make their money while they can. He's currently on about 70K a week. Why can't he earn 5 times as much?

You seem oblivious to the fact that money isnt the be all and end all for everyone...

Last edited:
You seem oblivious to the fact that money isnt the be all and end all for everyone...

Correct. For vicars, the already fabulously rich, hermits etc.

But for the rest of us it is the driving force behind our lifestyles, and the reason why we work. Eriksen is 'working' for about 10-15 years, so has the right to pull in as much as he can during this short window to safeguard his and his families' future.

Dick

But for the rest of us it is the driving force behind our lifestyles, and the reason why we work. Eriksen is 'working' for about 10-15 years, so has the right to pull in as much as he can during this short window to safeguard his and his families' future.
Whilst I agree that he has the right to earn as much as he can during a limited playing career, in terms of time, the point, I think, that others are making is that with a professional footballer is that it is not always about money.

Ericksen could of gone to Man City but chose not to, because in his own words;

"“Manchester City really wanted to sign me last summer but it didn’t feel right. I didn’t want to go to a club just to stay on the bench."

Even though he would/could of earned much more than at Spurs.

Whilst I agree that he has the right to earn as much as he can during a limited playing career, in terms of time, the point, I think, that others are making is that with a professional footballer is that it is not always about money.

Ericksen could of gone to Man City but chose not to, because in his own words;

"“Manchester City really wanted to sign me last summer but it didn’t feel right. I didn’t want to go to a club just to stay on the bench."

Even though he would/could of earned much more than at Spurs.

I agree, It's not all about money, however it will have a huge influence on his decision. None of us here would turn down a doubling/tripling of our salaries and playing for one of the most prestigious clubs in the world.

He's paid far less than he's worth with us. He has to make a decision that will affect the rest of his (and his families') life. Double/triple his salary and have a good chance of silverware or stay loyal to us?

He will also have to fight for his place at Real Barca, something that he doesn't have to do with us. This fact may drive him to greater heights - who knows? He won't want to go there as a bench-warmer.

No idea what he'll do other than hope he'll sign a new contract with us. My gut instinct tells me that he'll go at the end of this season - I hope I'm wrong

I must admit I don't remember City sniffing around (other than they do every other quality player)

Hmmm..... i would begrudge Eriksen for going, but only because he is probably irreplaceable in this market and i want him to stay at my football club forever (or at least until he turns shit then ill probably curse every poor touch).

But do i begrudge footballers in general for taking full advantage of a buisness model that we as consumers have willingly contributed to year after year?

Are we expecting him (or any player) to take a moral stand and say.... "i'm not going to earn what i'm capable of, because that is too much money", In an industry that is almost completely driven by cold hard cash generation.

Literally.... don't hate the player, hate the game.

But for the rest of us it is the driving force behind our lifestyles, and the reason why we work.

Ignorant.

I was talking about the man in the street.

It's a CHOICE not a compulsion.

Some people aren't primarily driven by money and a swish lifestyle. In fact financial compromise can lead to an improved quality of life if one's isnt governed by shopping, trends and shiny things.

Keep telling yourself otherwise tho....

Last edited:
Mate I'm gonna let you carry on making a fool out of yourself

... and I thought that was your role in life.. along with the other half-wits inhabiting this forum.

Unable to express themselves in words, they resort to one-liners, copious use of the 'Disagree' button and general abuse, without expressing any opinions of their own.

Go on, give us an opinion?

"i'm not going to earn what i'm capable of, because that is too much money"

If this statement would come from anyone, it will come from a Scandinavian!

I understand the sentiment in your response, but unfortunately economics and the market rule. Unless you live in North Korea or some African 'democracies'

I agree, It's not all about money, however it will have a huge influence on his decision. None of us here would turn down a doubling/tripling of our salaries and playing for one of the most prestigious clubs in the world.

He's paid far less than he's worth with us. He has to make a decision that will affect the rest of his (and his families') life. Double/triple his salary and have a good chance of silverware or stay loyal to us?

He will also have to fight for his place at Real Barca, something that he doesn't have to do with us. This fact may drive him to greater heights - who knows? He won't want to go there as a bench-warmer.

No idea what he'll do other than hope he'll sign a new contract with us. My gut instinct tells me that he'll go at the end of this season - I hope I'm wrong

I must admit I don't remember City sniffing around (other than they do every other quality player)
Agree with pretty much all of this.
It could be that he would end up on the bench there (bearing in mind the other players linked), it's a chance he'll have to take if given the choice.

Here's where I got that quote from;

Christian Eriksen: I turned down persistent Man City ahead of Tottenham move

If he was, say, 31 or 32 then he would move for the money I think.

Back
Top Bottom