Chelscum v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League - 27.02.19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Today was an absolute embarrassment.
Davies and Trippier were terrible.
Sissoko looked so inept again.
The subs didn't make sense.
Eriksen under-performed massively.

I never really thought we were in it for a serious title challenge, but, damn, we really need to get it together and grab some points from this next game to avoid a complete mid-season collapse! This next game is huge!

Bit unfair on Sissoko I think, his job now is to break up play, win the ball and then either give it to those that can kill the opposition on the ball
Or else drive with the ball and then distribute. On the whole, I think he did that. For me, lack of real width and eriksen off his game (as you rightly point out) is what really hurt us. Made it far to easier for chelski and didn’t ask questions of how much they had recovered from Sunday!

The old 3 at the back that got battered by a lot of fans the other day. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I think we'll be bang up for it against Woolwich, I fancy we'll go steaming into them

Think it's different playing 3 at the back against the better teams. Remember, we played 3 at the back against Dortmund and put in one of the best ever performances, as well beating Liverpool, Chelsea, Real Madrid etc with it over the last 2 years too.

Against the Burnleys and teams that tend to sit back, it can be a bit of a worry when it's creativity that unlocks those teams

Put us in the new gaff and spend a couple of hundred million and I still don't think it's exactly reasonable to "expect" to win the league... It ignores the general notion of competition and the week-to-week unpredictability of the league itself; not to mention the greater resources of the other key contenders.

Don't sweat that part mate... And no I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned about bouncing back next week... Anything but.

Which is what I choose to focus upon...

The 90's/00's didn't teach me to accept mediocrity like some would like to suggest; simply to not take anything for granted. Similarly, spending the last 20-30 years watching teams mostly BUY the title reaffirmed to me that there's got to be more to the game than being champ... Otherwise why do fan the 90+ teams in the league not in with a shout for the EPL even bother.

Agree, there is more to this than just winning year after year but also surely that has to be the aim of
Every elite team. Won’t happen but that has to
Be the goal.

Just a shame because we are close to having a squad (I believe we have the team) that can really compete and win trophies but we can’t take that final step and it appears that it is not due to quality but rather mentality, I mean the losses that have really hurt us are Burnley (obvs) but wolves (when in a place to capitalise) and Watford away (post a great result against united).

Anyway, let’s hope for better results and performances on Saturday and next week!!!!

Bit unfair on Sissoko I think, his job now is to break up play, win the ball and then either give it to those that can kill the opposition on the ball
Or else drive with the ball and then distribute. On the whole, I think he did that. For me, lack of real width and eriksen off his game (as you rightly point out) is what really hurt us. Made it far to easier for chelski and didn’t ask questions of how much they had recovered from Sunday!

Fair enough- I may be overstating any negative contribution of his.
I do think this is the worst he has looked in at least 8-10 games though. I was sort of getting used to him playing a relatively error-free but effective box-to-box game!
Was absolutely shocked how narrow we were in defensive midfield for the buildup to Pedro's opening goal though.
It's unacceptable for Winks and Sissoko to have left our flank so wide open for that move. It just seems such a tactically naive sequence, I'm upset we were so easily undone!

Think it's different playing 3 at the back against the better teams. Remember, we played 3 at the back against Dortmund and put in one of the best ever performances, as well beating Liverpool, Chelsea, Real Madrid etc with it over the last 2 years too.

Against the Burnleys and teams that tend to sit back, it can be a bit of a worry when it's creativity that unlocks those teams

Agree, Probably would have played 3 at the back if verts was fit and against the better teams I think 3 at the back is not the worst formation since they want to attack and we are then set up
To snuff out their attacks and counter. But fully agree against lesser opposition, we give up an additional body in attack so doesn’t seem to make as much sense. I mean, I would have loved to have seen what would have happened if we had said to Burnley, ok we are going to match you up player for player and see who prevails!!!

Equally it was the go-to system we'd used to destroy EPL minows for much of the past 2 seasons (until Toby injuries)... A system brough about not for defensive solidity but due to us struggling to score...

System-wise the only one i have an aversion to is this current diamond.... Coincides with us lacking identity this season.

Not saying one or the other (2 or 3CBs) is the answer at this juncture, but for me the bigger quandary is the comparative lack of pressing and the typically slow 1st halves.

I do think this is the worst he has looked in at least 8-10 games though. I was sort of getting used to him playing a relatively error-free but effective box-to-box game!
Was absolutely shocked how narrow we were in defensive midfield for the buildup to Pedro's opening goal though.
It's unacceptable for Winks and Sissoko to have left our flank so wide open for that move. It just seems such a tactically naive sequence, I'm upset we were so easily undone!

If any midfielder gets blame for their opener it's Eriksen.

He didn't press the man so Davies had to do it for him which then meant he couldn't track Pedro, which then meant Toby had to go across and he let Pedro step in far too easily, which is likely because he's playing on his weaker side.

Pure toilet tonight from Eriksen. It was basically us playing with 10 men.

I think it was actually eriksen that was slow to get over when the ball was switched, this was then compounded by Toby letting Pedro cut in and Hugo not exactly covering himself in glory either! Bad times !!

Equally it was the go-to system we'd used to destroy EPL minows for much of the past 2 seasons (until Toby injuries)... A system brough about not for defensive solidity but due to us struggling to score...

System-wise the only one i have an aversion to is this current diamond.... Coincides with us lacking identity this season.

Not saying one or the other (2 or 3CBs) is the answer at this juncture, but for me the bigger quandary is the comparative lack of pressing and the typically slow 1st halves.

Different situations.

The 3 at the back formation we used to destroy minnows was when we had the two best wing backs in the league and Dembele and Wanyama shielding our defence.

The 3 at the back we use against minnows nowadays has the worst collection of full backs in the top 6 and Winks attempting to play a one man midfield.

I'd have had no problem with 3 at the back against Burnley if our midfield 3 consisted of Eriken/Dele/Winks though, but of course one of those isn't available so it didn't work. Bevause again we just had Winks playing midfield on his own and we then took him off leaving us with practically nothing but powderpuff.

What primarily did for us on the first goal was Toby (a right footer playing LCB) being turned on his weaker side.

Sissoko in countless matches provides superb cover for KT (& SA).... Somewhat unrealistic to expect him to cover BOTH FBs.

Given how we line up, our LMid should be covering LB not the deeper, more central Winks.

If the 442 diamond calls for this to have been Eriksen then maybe the system is the issue cos CE ain't that man.

Different situations.

The 3 at the back formation we used to destroy minnows was when we had the two best wing backs in the league and Dembele and Wanyama shielding our defence.

The 3 at the back we use against minnows nowadays has the worst collection of full backs in the top 6 and Winks attempting to play a one man midfield.

I'd have had no problem with 3 at the back against Burnley if our midfield 3 consisted of Eriken/Dele/Winks though, but of course one of those isn't available so it didn't work. Bevause again we just had Winks playing midfield on his own and we then took him off leaving us with practically nothing but powderpuff.

...But KT & BD were the WBs for most of last year tho'. Wanyama was missing for most of last year also.

As for the latter para doesn't that point to the idea that the MF selection may be the core issue instead?

Though why Dele being replaced by a more defensively sound Sissoko should make us a more porous proposition is a dilemma that remains?

Don’t think Kane or Son were the issue tonight tho, we were slow switching the play... there was a point in the 2nd half where we could have switched the play and eriksen turned back instead... weirdly subdued performance from CE and I really like eriksen but this performance was not good given how good he can be!
Don’t disagree, was just saying it as a general comment.

...But KT & BD were the WBs for most of last year tho'. Wanyama was missing for most of last year also.

As for the latter para doesn't that point to the idea that the MF selection may be the core issue instead?

Though why Dele being replaced by a more defensively sound Sissoko should make us a more porous proposition is a dilemma that remains?

Personally I think it’s in the big or tight matches that we realise how much we miss dele. Against Burnley at home, it was dele who forced the ball
to CE for the winner and against the bigger teams
He generally will either create chances (think
It was him that rolled it to lamela earlier in the season against city when we could have equalised) or score himself (particularly against Chelsk!).

Agree though, there is no reason why we should be less defensively sound. I mean he’s a good
All round mid but hardly the worlds best DM!!

Not the greatest fan of 3 at the back all the time
But I do think that it is the application of the players that matters as much as the formation... ie do they really want it!!

So what's up with Kane?

His presence really kills the flow. He wants to trample through defenders on his own, and that just doesn't seem to work for him at the moment. So I can't really tolerate his ego when he's not on song. I wan't Llorente back (OMG what am I saying) he's a team player.

So what's up with Kane?

His presence really kills the flow. He wants to trample through defenders on his own, and that just doesn't seem to work for him at the moment. So I can't really tolerate his ego when he's not on song. I wan't Llorente back (OMG what am I saying) he's a team player.

I do wonder whether his new contract has some
Clause that says he has to play every game he is fit... :kanehand:

Personally I think it’s in the big or tight matches that we realise how much we miss dele. Against Burnley at home, it was dele who forced the ball
to CE for the winner and against the bigger teams
He generally will either create chances (think
It was him that rolled it to lamela earlier in the season against city when we could have equalised) or score himself (particularly against Chelsk!).

Agree though, there is no reason why we should be less defensively sound. I mean he’s a good
All round mid but hardly the worlds best DM!!

Not the greatest fan of 3 at the back all the time
But I do think that it is the application of the players that matters as much as the formation... ie do they really want it!!

Totally agree on the last part, but whats so frustrating is that in no time we've gone from a totally flexible interchanging, hard-pressing system (4231 > 343 > 433) to looking rather lost, too reliant on individual brilliance and persisting with a horrible formation (41212) that has yet to click all season.

Neither are good enough at this level, that much is obvious.

Flame me all you want but neither of them would get on the bench at any of the top six sides.

On the flipside...

United, Goons and Chavs are hardly boasting enviable starting options let alone #2s... Liverpool loaned out their 2nd RB which is hardly an endorsement either.

Poch is coming up short....say what you want about signings but the fact is we are playing toilet, dog shit football, and there is zero identity to anything we do on the pitch nowadays.

Long balls, tippy tally, dilly dally backwards, Hugo hoofs it off the pitch.

Penny dropping for me, simply because the results aren’t masking the fact that we just aren’t very good when silverware is reachable.

Not one man at this club is a winner.

Too many nearly men. Fuck off

Goodnight
how dare you, you fucking melt go support another club. here i'll help you Log in | Bluemoon MCFC | The leading Manchester City forum

Back
Top Bottom