Balaguè's book - Brave New World

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Gotta say i really don't like how the book is written. The fact that is all in first person is aweful. Take the Dier story for example. You could think that it is Mauricio pretty much burning his player when the story was actually told BY the player. Also, you can't guess when Poch is being sincere about his life, method or way of thinking or if it's Levy, Kane o anybody else talking about it. I've only read a couple of pages but there some very nice insight about his relationship with Son and Wanyama but you can't tell who is actually speaking.

Still, the book is worth it's price because he's magic, you know...

I think Dier might join Rose as players we're prepared to let go for the right money next season. He's not first choice CB and we've got a ridiculous amount of choice in CM. He'll probably go to Man Utd but find himself in a similar situation, only on better money. The best move for him, in terms of being a guaranteed starter, would be Liverpool, if he's prepared to take a step down.

I see why you think this but I think his versatility makes him too valuable. I think we'll keep him.

I see why you think this but I think his versatility makes him too valuable. I think we'll keep him.

Indeed.... Besides, he is currently priceless to us despite our fabled 'wealth' in CM.

Read something above suggesting ED wanted his future to be as a CB... This is opposed to what ive read on numerous occasions; that Dier wants to be DM and its Poch that sees his future at CB. (Which is what i percieved Jose trying to take advantage of.... )

I've just finished reading the book. Loved it. When I started reading it my first thought was "it's too early for him to be releasing this kind of stuff into the world", but now that I'm finished I actually think, as Balaguè himself says, the timing is perfect. Fantastic tidbits into his mind and methodologies, not too much for competitors to be able to readily know how to match and improve on how he does things, but a wonderful insight into this man, his world, and how the club operates. He spills the beans on a few internal matters, but I think it only serves to improve Pochettino's standing as a manager of not just a football team, but a club manager, a staff manager, a player manager and a person manager most of all.

FokkenPrawn FokkenPrawn Would you be ok changing the title of this thread to just "Balaguè's book - Brave New World"?

I expect I will see Guillem in the new year.

Looking forward to speaking to him about the book.

I know in the past he has spoken to Sir Alex as well so interested to see if there are any similarities in Poch’s thinking to what he achieved with United.
Would love to know what they spoke about in that lunch they had.

I always stay abreast of the shit stuff they spew just to know, if that makes sense.

It's taken me more than two years to hone in on the commentaries in football that I get value out of. I like to be educated in football, just as much as I like to reflect on it's history, also nothing wrong in making it fun too. There are many writers out their that I don't agree with but I really enjoy reading them e.g. Barny Roney. Basically I've got time for people that enjoy football, rather than those that only accentuate the negative of it. I get the rationale behind it, it's where the clicks are, but fuck that, i love the game. That's not the narrative that is followed by those pricks.
I like Barney's writing too. His hatchet job on Harry Redknapp as the football Cat in the Hat was a work of genius

He plays almost every game. I don't think he's going to go anywhere while Poch keeps putting him in the starting 11.
We've played 10 in the league, he's started 9 with 1 sub appearance - 797/900 minutes. We've played 4 champions league matches, he's started 4 - 360/360 minutes.

Clearly going to be fed up with his playing time and prepared to fuck off in the summer to a club where he can get paid more and get a goddamn rest now and then.

:dierno:

#notevensubtle
tenor.gif

Finished. 4 out of 5 from me.

Understandable but annoying that a few occasions he doesn't directly name players. So we should all have a little guess should we....

Player in contention to start v Man City in January who eats a lasagne in front of Poch half an hour before training and therefore is culled?

Player (presumably ex player) who sings a Jose Mourinho chant at our coaching team face after the league cup final loss?

Tricky conversation with key player (2nd in two years) "if you carry on like this we don't need you..". Poch then played him against Millwall and he "was brilliant" ?

Player (apparently one of his top 3) who was benched 'a while back' usually a nailed on starter... 3 weeks later his agent turned up for a meeting with Poch?

Finished. 4 out of 5 from me.

Understandable but annoying that a few occasions he doesn't directly name players. So we should all have a little guess should we....

Player in contention to start v Man City in January who eats a lasagne in front of Poch half an hour before training and therefore is culled?

Player (presumably ex player) who sings a Jose Mourinho chant at our coaching team face after the league cup final loss?

Tricky conversation with key player (2nd in two years) "if you carry on like this we don't need you..". Poch then played him against Millwall and he "was brilliant" ?

Player (apparently one of his top 3) who was benched 'a while back' usually a nailed on starter... 3 weeks later his agent turned up for a meeting with Poch?
My guesses

Lasagne lad. Chadli?

Jose fan Ade

Son v Millwall

Bentaleb agent meeting

Back
Top Bottom