Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If the option is to play a kid with zero PL games and a handful of lower level European games at the senior level to me that shows that you have no options. Could he have done it? Sure but it isn't like it is some clear cut better option that results in any thing better.

At that point you are throwing crap at the wall hoping something sticks and I am not going to blame a manager for not going with a hope and pray strategy because he hasn't been given the proper players to work with.

What seems even more odd to me is to see the players that we have available and the zero quality there and to blame a manager that has had nothing but success throughout his career and various club as being the issue.

Funny you say this as Wilder won the game with a teenager from the bench with no EPL experience.... First season in the senior squad..... A mere 13 champ games in total. Hardly screams world class depth.

Maybe Wilder is the better manager? :gallashmm:

....Let's unravel this little mystery together, Iggy-babes.

That group of players would beat that Boro side with Ryan Mason or Tactics Tim in charge. Basic man management and motivational skills to get the job done.

Conte has done the opposite and destroyed whatever tatters of confidence there was before. Some players have probably gone backwards under his short but miserable tenure so far.

If we splash the cash in the summer and he gets a tune out of the team, that doesn't make him a good coach - just a chequebook fraud. The peak of his career with chelsea, he had one game a week to focus on the league with a team of battle hardened title winners, and they were by far the second best team in the league compared to Poch's spurs.

Destroyed their confidence so much they beat Leeds 4-0 the other day. It’s nothing to do with confidence and everything to do with ability, or lack of when it comes to our squad.

And sure, his tenures been pretty miserable, but same with the last 2 managers we hired, and Poch at the end. Seems like a pretty big correlation between managers who did pretty well elsewhere turning incompetent here. Might be worth asking why.

All managers who win stuff are chequebook managers. Nobody is sat there making world class players out of fodder like Winks, Doherty or Hojbjerg, that’s impossible. Guardiola spends loads, so do Tuchel & Klopp. Top managers need top players for their ideas to be effective.

Pretty sure his peak would’ve been rebuilding Juve from a real mess to a league winning side in a season and then establishing them as dominant. Winning the league with Inter wasn’t bad either.

Spurs is the problem, not Antonio Conte. Sure he’s not perfect, like all managers he’s got quirks and is at times infuriating, but he’s a proven winning coach, when he has players who aren’t relegation level fodder with a few of quality dragging them up the table.

Not playing Harvey White in this game is one complaint. Not playing any of the other CM's we have to make a CM3 throughout most of the time he's been here is my bigger complaint.

If Skipp and Bentancur had both been healthy I would agree with you. I think for our side the 3-5-2 is a much better formation. But when the options are at least 2 of PEH, Winks, White in the 3 I find it hard to give much blame on Conte.

I think it is something to look forward to as we go forward and if Skipp and Bentancur come back and we stick to the 3-4-3 and especially if we stick with it after the summer then I would have more complaints with Conte but at this point I think it is a much bigger issue with the players rather than Conte. I also doubt a change of formation changes much or a different manager gets better results with the same players.

Look here.

He's got shit players to work with yes.

But for the love of God show some tactical flexibility.

Poch's biggest weakness was being a stubborn bastard. He learnt this from Bielsa. The same Bielsa who just got sacked for being a stubborn bastard and not changing his plan to be more pragmatic.

One thing I hate the most is people making the same mistakes over and over again and doing fuck all about it.

How many times does Conte need to see the same things happen, before it prompts him to change his approach?

There were plenty of warnings if you go back to the start of this thread warning that he is too reactive with his decisions from his time at Juve, Italy and Inter.

Surely if he's supposedly a top 5 manager he can work out that doing the same things again and again and expecting a different result is utter madness. In fact it's the definition of madness.

Very obvious he just wants to play counterattack football. But the biggest mistakes we made under Jose was to allow teams have the ball and create chances and we found out that eventually they end up scoring.

We played Wilder's Sheffield Utd away under Jose and exactly the same happened against Wilder's Middlesbrough.

These managers have resorted to these tactics because the quality in the players isn't there. But anyone who has watched the u23s play will know they play possession football. So if you want that then throw in Harvey, it literally isn't going to be any worse. Take a fucking risk instead of playing safe.

There literally isn't a club motto that contradicts our actions as a club than us.

Look here.

Poch's biggest weakness was being a stubborn bastard. He learnt this from Bielsa. The same Bielsa who just got sacked for being a stubborn bastard and not changing his plan to be more pragmatic.

One thing I hate the most is people making the same mistakes over and over again and doing fuck all about it.

How many times does Conte need to see the same things happen, before it prompts him to change his approach?

There were plenty of warnings if you go back to the start of this thread warning that he is too reactive with his decisions from his time at Juve, Italy and Inter.

Surely if he's supposedly a top 5 manager he can work out that doing the same things again and again and expecting a different result is utter madness. In fact it's the definition of madness.

Very obvious he just wants to play counterattack football. But the biggest mistakes we made under Jose was to allow teams have the ball and create chances and we found out that eventually they end up scoring.

We played Wilder's Sheffield Utd away under Jose and exactly the same happened against Wilder's Middlesbrough.

These managers have resorted to these tactics because the quality in the players isn't there. But anyone who has watched the u23s play will know they play possession football. So if you want that then throw in Harvey, it literally isn't going to be any worse. Take a fucking risk instead of playing safe.

There literally isn't a club motto that contradicts our actions as a club than us.
Exactly. So obvious to all the delusional Conte fanboys here who still think he can’t do wrong

Look here.

What tactical flexibility? There is no tactics that work with the players we have out there today.

What are these amazing tactics that turn shit into amazing players?

Plenty of warnings???

Are people really this dense.

What were the warnings- watch out for that terrible Conte system that won us multiple titles?

LOL

There is no supposedly he is clearly a top 5, maybe higher, manager in the world.

It isn't obvious that he just wants to play counterattacking football at all, but it is clear that we can't really play any other way because our midfield is so shit even against Championship level teams that we have little option because we can't retain possession or create through the MF.

What tactical flexibility? There is no tactics that work with the players we have out there today.

What are these amazing tactics that turn shit into amazing players?

Plenty of warnings???

Are people really this dense.

What were the warnings- watch out for that terrible Conte system that won us multiple titles?

LOL

There is no supposedly he is clearly a top 5, maybe higher, manager in the world.

It isn't obvious that he just wants to play counterattacking football at all, but it is clear that we can't really play any other way because our midfield is so shit even against Championship level teams that we have little option because we can't retain possession or create through the MF.
The players we fielded aren't all CL level. Definitely not worthy of a title challenging team.

But they're better than fucking Middlesbrough . Whether its the dressing room culture, the pervading club deprioritization of cups for years, or the manager, failing to beat Boro is a failure much, much more than just recruitment. These are very good, very expensive players, comparatively. Conte has got to get more out of them

The players we fielded aren't all CL level. Definitely not worthy of a title challenging team.

But they're better than fucking Middlesbrough . Whether its the dressing room culture, the pervading club deprioritization of cups for years, or the manager, failing to beat Boro is a failure much, much more than just recruitment. These are very good, very expensive players, comparatively. Conte has got to get more out of them

Teams lose all the time to other teams with less talent. Last round we saw this same team beat United, Woolwich lost to Forrest, Jose lost to Norwich, Poch lost to Colchester.

Every manager has losses in their careers to teams with much less talent it hardly means that every manager sucks.

If somebody has a valid criticism of Conte lets hear it, so far the closest is that he should have played Harvey fricking White (a player I like and would be fine to see given a chance but hardly a game changer) and maybe should have put Scarlett on earlier. If these are the big complaints that clearly shows that the manager is not the issue.

Conte also beat City a team with 2 better players than anything we have in almost every position on the pitch so I guess that means he is getting more out of these players than he should.

Teams lose all the time to other teams with less talent. Last round we saw this same team beat United, Woolwich lost to Forrest, Jose lost to Norwich, Poch lost to Colchester.

Every manager has losses in their careers to teams with much less talent it hardly means that every manager sucks.

If somebody has a valid criticism of Conte lets hear it, so far the closest is that he should have played Harvey fricking White (a player I like and would be fine to see given a chance but hardly a game changer) and maybe should have put Scarlett on earlier. If these are the big complaints that clearly shows that the manager is not the issue.

Conte also beat City a team with 2 better players than anything we have in almost every position on the pitch so I guess that means he is getting more out of these players than he should.
There is far more to being a manager than writing names on a team sheet. The idea that we lost a cup match to Boro and the manager doesn't shoulder a lot of the blame is absurd.

There is far more to being a manager than writing names on a team sheet. The idea that we lost a cup match to Boro and the manager doesn't shoulder a lot of the blame is absurd.

When the squad is made up of players like Wanks, PEH, Dier, Davies, Doherty with the bench of Bergwijn, Scarlett, Emerson then the manager deserves very little of the blame unless he did something crazy which nobody has pointed out him doing.

You would think that is Conte deserved a lot of blame someone could point to reasons why and yet nobody has so far.

When the squad is made up of players like Wanks, PEH, Dier, Davies, Doherty with the bench of Bergwijn, Scarlett, Emerson then the manager deserves very little of the blame unless he did something crazy which nobody has pointed out him doing.

You would think that is Conte deserved a lot of blame someone could point to reasons why and yet nobody has so far.
people have pointed out reasons why. It's just that you disagree so you totally ignore the points.

1) He decided to ditch a formation that allowed us to create our most amount of chances in games against 2 good teams.

2) He refuses to blame Winks for anything despite the numerous mistakes Winks has made.

3) He waits far to long for substitutions. He watches us get dominated and does nothing THEN randomly decides to make the sub when we are on the front foot again (evidenced numerous times).

4) Our set up at defending set pieces is atrocious. Not sure who is to blame here but 2 out of the 3 CBs can't defend aerial balls whilst we have Rodon on bench wasting away.

5) He drops players he doesn't really rate for little to nothing whilst allowing the players He likes to make mistate after mistake without subbing them or calling them out. Ndombele was banished after the Liverpool game where he played well and got an assist (yes he came back for the cup game but it was just random to drop him after pool game).

Look here.

Great Post, sums it up perfectly

Pretty confident he’ll be off in summer and we’ll be back to square one.

To be honest I wouldn’t be fussed either way. He’s a great manager but can’t see us going out spending 200m that this squad needs to be competitive.

Pretty confident he’ll be off in summer and we’ll be back to square one.

To be honest I wouldn’t be fussed either way. He’s a great manager but can’t see us going out spending 200m that this squad needs to be competitive.
I think he will give it until end of the summer transfer window to see if he's been backed.

When Roy Keane wrote or said that he wasn't convinced Antonia Contie had changed us particularly and when I agreed with him, most posters who responded predictably took umbrage.

Keane was right. I believe Conte should have been able to implant more of his personality and coaching ability on the team but irrespective of him or pretty much anyone, this is a 2/3 year task. We are mentally the weakest of the so called top 6 clubs by far and will soon be overtaken by Newcastle and maybe Villa. Little doubt.

On us it's only a 3-year task if we get more transfers right than wrong. Its not just about individual players and I fcuking tire with players being slated left right and centre but about getting the mentality right.

We can go from game to game believing it will change but it ain't happening, so it's time to just take stock, be calm and to firstly wait for the summer.

Those who posted before yesterday's game literally thinking we just needed to turn up or this or that need to wake-up. Its simply believing optimism is enough. It really bloody isn't.

I can barely recall a game in the last 2 years where I sat comfortable. We have fallen that far and if Conte stays (he won't) then he needs 2 years as will any manager if not him.

At the very least.

Back
Top Bottom