Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

people have pointed out reasons why. It's just that you disagree so you totally ignore the points.

I didn't ignore they were crap so I gave them the zero credibility they deserved.

1) He decided to ditch a formation that allowed us to create our most amount of chances in games against 2 good teams.

He has 2 MFers healthy that have played any time in a real game. I don't think he ditched it so much as had no real choice.

He could have played guys out of position which is a bad move or played guys not ready again another bad move. Hard to blame someone when their only options are bad.

2) He refuses to blame Winks for anything despite the numerous mistakes Winks has made.

Do you want this done publicly is that your concern? I have spoken out against Winks as much as anyone and repeatedly said he isn't close to good enough. When we have other options Winks plays a bit role in the team not sure what Conte calling him out does.

I am all for it because Winks sucks but that is a pretty weak criticism in my view.

3) He waits far to long for substitutions. He watches us get dominated and does nothing THEN randomly decides to make the sub when we are on the front foot again (evidenced numerous times).

The subs we have suck. There is no good option, outside of Reguilon who must be still recovering from Covid.

Bringing on crap players earlier doesn't change anything.

4) Our set up at defending set pieces is atrocious. Not sure who is to blame here but 2 out of the 3 CBs can't defend aerial balls whilst we have Rodon on bench wasting away.

Our set pieces have been bad for much longer than Conte's time here. It is because we have shit defenders and players overall. Hard to put this blame on Conte when it has been an ongoing issue for years with us.

5) He drops players he doesn't really rate for little to nothing whilst allowing the players He likes to make mistate after mistake without subbing them or calling them out. Ndombele was banished after the Liverpool game where he played well and got an assist (yes he came back for the cup game but it was just random to drop him after pool game).

I have seen zero evidence of this at all. Also seems to be a common complaint with every manager at every team. Similar to managers never playing the youth enough and almost always one guy getting screwed for time that would be great if he just played more.

Who, outside of Reguilon coming back from Covid, should have played more today but didn't?

Ndombele was terrible for us this year. It wasn't Conte that didn't play him Nuno and Jose both had issues with him and the majority of the fan base as well.

That group of players would beat that Boro side with Ryan Mason or Tactics Tim in charge. Basic man management and motivational skills to get the job done.

Conte has done the opposite and destroyed whatever tatters of confidence there was before. Some players have probably gone backwards under his short but miserable tenure so far.

If we splash the cash in the summer and he gets a tune out of the team, that doesn't make him a good coach - just a chequebook fraud. The peak of his career with chelsea, he had one game a week to focus on the league with a team of battle hardened title winners, and they were by far the second best team in the league compared to Poch's spurs.
This group of players has been losing to the likes of boro for years. Winks is shit, Doherty is shit, Davies is shit, Dier/Hogberg slightly less shit but shit. Jury out on Kulusevski who was robbed off the ball by boro players like 'candy off a baby'. These cunts were losing by 3 goals, 3 times in a row before Conte got here. So anyone trying to blame the manager is just complete off the mark. There is no way that Poch, Mourinho, Nuno and Conte are all in the wrong but this shit group of players are fine.

Having said that I dont like this 343 at all. We have 0 centerbacks that can be classified as 'Good' and theres 3 of them on the pitch.

Again if not playing Harvey White is your big complaint it shows how weak your argument is.

He has gone back to the 3-4-3 every time we have injuries and not had any quality in the MF.

Playing 3-5-2 with Harvey White is highly unlikely to change the result in this game at all. The fact we have to talk about whether Harvey White could improve us or not shows the real problem with the team.

So keep going on with your pathetic agenda against a top 5 manager and ignore the real problem that we have zero quality in our side especially the midfield and as long as that is the case the formation means jack shit.
Lol, who the fuck is harvey white to change our midfield somehow. Having said that I think Conte does need to fuck winks off, and maybe trying a kid is better than seeing this idiot again in the team. What a terrible transfer window we had in jan. Without proper support all our managers in the last 4 years have failed.

Lol, who the fuck is harvey white to change our midfield somehow. Having said that I think Conte does need to fuck winks off, and maybe trying a kid is better than seeing this idiot again in the team. What a terrible transfer window we had in jan. Without proper support all our managers in the last 4 years have failed.

I think we should try Harvey White over Winks, but I’m not going to pretend that it is anything more than a hope and a prayer and a reaction to how shit Winks is.

It isn’t done brilliant tactical move that improves our team. It is a desperate move made out of frustration.

I can’t see how any rational fan can see it as a valid criticism of Conte. It makes zero sense.

I didn't ignore they were crap so I gave them the zero credibility they deserved.

He has 2 MFers healthy that have played any time in a real game. I don't think he ditched it so much as had no real choice.

He could have played guys out of position which is a bad move or played guys not ready again another bad move. Hard to blame someone when their only options are bad.

Do you want this done publicly is that your concern? I have spoken out against Winks as much as anyone and repeatedly said he isn't close to good enough. When we have other options Winks plays a bit role in the team not sure what Conte calling him out does.

I am all for it because Winks sucks but that is a pretty weak criticism in my view.

The subs we have suck. There is no good option, outside of Reguilon who must be still recovering from Covid.

Bringing on crap players earlier doesn't change anything.

Our set pieces have been bad for much longer than Conte's time here. It is because we have shit defenders and players overall. Hard to put this blame on Conte when it has been an ongoing issue for years with us.

I have seen zero evidence of this at all. Also seems to be a common complaint with every manager at every team. Similar to managers never playing the youth enough and almost always one guy getting screwed for time that would be great if he just played more.

Who, outside of Reguilon coming back from Covid, should have played more today but didn't?

Ndombele was terrible for us this year. It wasn't Conte that didn't play him Nuno and Jose both had issues with him and the majority of the fan base as well.

No mate he ditched the 3 cm's when he had options. He didn't ditch it because of lack of options as the same players were available next game and the system was not implemented.

It's also not about the subs sucking. It's more the timing of the subs. He doesn't do anything when we are getting peppered and waits and waits and waits....then we have a period of looking dangerous and Conte executes the sub then which we inevitably lose momentum and go back to looking shit.

regarding Winks, i get he can't publicly call him out but he doesn't need to publicly praise him all the time as well. He does it loads for him which I find very very strange (think he praised him more than any other player). He can also substitute him when he's playing like utter shit and literally give anyone else a go...we as fans won't moan if he does this and it doesn't work.

oh and regarding Ndombele my argument or gripe is not us getting rid of him. What I'm saying is that i find it very odd that Conte brings him in for the Liverpool game where he actually plays very well and gets an assist then randomly decides to banish him again after that. It sends the wrong message when a player can play well and get dropped whilst other players can play poorly and still be trusted.

Last edited:
I think we should try Harvey White over Winks, but I’m not going to pretend that it is anything more than a hope and a prayer and a reaction to how shit Winks is.

It isn’t done brilliant tactical move that improves our team. It is a desperate move made out of frustration.

I can’t see how any rational fan can see it as a valid criticism of Conte. It makes zero sense.
Desperate is exactly the right word. Unfortunately these are desperate times because our other CMs are terrible. I would have thought maybe try Kulusevski at CM but he takes a long time to get the ball under control and we saw how easily he gets dispossessed. In a crowded midfield he'd have no chance. At least he lumps a cross in better than Doherty and Emerson, so maybe he should stay out wide.

Maybe this Harvey white kid who has 20 loan games with a lower league team is the new messiah ...
:pocheyes:

Conte is a good manager
we have 4 CM's 2 injuried what else could he do,
I do blame him for not being able to Coach the defenders to defend set pieces, for me that is coaching
I do blame him for not coaching throwing moves, we get a throw in and the player is looking round for someone to throw too (mostly thrower throws to player who returns it to thrower wonderful !!!!)

As posted above his bench is poor, we can't play 3 CM's as we don't have fit CM's
a lot of the player we have got in over last few years are poor

Levy will stick with him. The real question is does Conte nang around. He is only on an 18 month contract and he has no track record of longevity in any of his previous managerial jobs.

We have an option for another year so effectively it’s 2.5 years. We need to stick with and back him. All while he’s not a yes man to levy we have to keep him. If we don’t we’ll get some other guy in who’ll tow the line and we’ll be even more in the shit.

I wonder if the problem with Conte not yet getting any traction with this team is that he just Isn’t used to managing such a poor bunch of players.
He has a mindset that he can do certain things with his team but here at Spurs it’s just not happening because our players cannot actually do what Conte wants, simply because they are just not good enough players.

We have an option for another year so effectively it’s 2.5 years. We need to stick with and back him. All while he’s not a yes man to levy we have to keep him. If we don’t we’ll get some other guy in who’ll tow the line and we’ll be even more in the shit.
Problems are...

We give him another 2 years and back him in the transfer window.

He'll expect the same sort of backing in the winter window.

Depending how we've done he'll expect the same or possibly more in the next window.

etc, etc...

Meanwhile we risk him walking at any stage if he gets unhappy, and we risk getting left with his, and that other fucker's players when he goes.

I mean it was painfully obvious. And has been for more than a year - whenever we play against packed defense, we absolutely fail to move ball quickly with any kind of decisiveness and creativity. We just don't have reliable, enduring and creative midfielder who would make us tick.

When we play counter-attack, it is easier - teams are not in their formation, there is lot of room and so executing 3-4 passes can be enough to create a scoring chance. But when defensive formations are taken up, we just slowly swing ball back and forth, side to side without directness and ability do deliver ball quickly and precisely into dangerous position.

When we deemed that Ndombele and Lo Celso don't cut it here and sent them out, we would have desperately needed AT LEAST one of creative CMs into the squad. But we did not. Now the issue is highlighted even more as Bentancur and Skippy are injured. So it is not like Conte had any serious options to solve our biggest issue.

Though that being said he could have easily put either Moura or Kulu into middle attacking position and sacrifice one CB - for example to give Davies a day off. Also it baffled me that we play two games a week and he just has picked specific players that play full time all time, and others are just out. Yesterday I said right after the game started - I really would have preferred to have Reggie in for Sessegnon and either Moura or Bergwijn in for Son, possibly Sanchez in for Romero who has played a lot since recovering from his injury. That in the long run keeps starters from burnout and fatique related injuries and motivates those who can get playing time.

This group of players has been losing to the likes of boro for years. Winks is shit, Doherty is shit, Davies is shit, Dier/Hogberg slightly less shit but shit. Jury out on Kulusevski who was robbed off the ball by boro players like 'candy off a baby'. These cunts were losing by 3 goals, 3 times in a row before Conte got here. So anyone trying to blame the manager is just complete off the mark. There is no way that Poch, Mourinho, Nuno and Conte are all in the wrong but this shit group of players are fine.

Having said that I dont like this 343 at all. We have 0 centerbacks that can be classified as 'Good' and theres 3 of them on the pitch.
They haven’t really been losing to the likes of Boro for years. That’s our first FA Cup exit to lower league opposition in 9 years since we went out to Leeds in 2013.

Last night considering we fielded what Conte thought was about the strongest team available to us, was a new low.

They haven’t really been losing to the likes of Boro for years. That’s our first FA Cup exit to lower league opposition in 9 years since we went out to Leeds in 2013.

Last night considering we fielded what Conte thought was about the strongest team available to us, was a new low.
Weve lost to the likes of colchester with Poch.

That was the early rounds of the League Cup where you field your reserves. The Colchester tie finished level, we went out on the lottery that is penalties.

Last night was a lot worse than Colchester.
Goes to show how crap the quality of our first team has become due to underinvestment and the lack of a Dembele.

Problems are...

We give him another 2 years and back him in the transfer window.

He'll expect the same sort of backing in the winter window.

Depending how we've done he'll expect the same or possibly more in the next window.

etc, etc...

Meanwhile we risk him walking at any stage if he gets unhappy, and we risk getting left with his, and that other fucker's players when he goes.

That's the same with any manager. He (or whoever is manager) will need serious backing over the next 3/4 transfer windows. We've all seen the state of the current squad. It will need consistently high levels of investment through money or properly recruited players and that is impossible in one summer window.

But, if Conte starts that off, and he should be given the chance to as long as possible, then we must let him mould the squad into a better one than we have today. We simply have to give him the chance, we've tried everything else, what more can we do???

That's the same with any manager. He (or whoever is manager) will need serious backing over the next 3/4 transfer windows. We've all seen the state of the current squad. It will need consistently high levels of investment through money or properly recruited players and that is impossible in one summer window.

But, if Conte starts that off, and he should be given the chance to as long as possible, then we must let him mould the squad into a better one than we have today. We simply have to give him the chance, we've tried everything else, what more can we do???
He has to commit to a long contract first, 3 or 4 years at least and if need be a flat severance rate.

I think your best bet is to reset our expectations. We didn't go all out to improve when we were on the verge of succeeding, why would we do it when our stock is drastically lower.

Back
Top Bottom