Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

LOL, so if given the best talent he'll compete, give him less than the best and he'll not compete, but its not his fault.

I'd imagine Pardew and Holloway would do similar.

Lol. The apologist is out in force.
I remember Sam Allardyce saying he could do a job at Real Madrid when they had all their galacticos. He's right. Why is someone who wins everywhere they go one of the best if everywhere they go also have the best squads? It's his job to work with and improve what he has. And use formations and tactics suitable for the opponent we are facing. Wanting a championship team to have possession of the ball is a verbal warning offence as far as I'm concerned. Asking for trouble. Embarassing tactics. Imagine having "the best manager available to us" in the hot seat and not being able to play a flat back four system effectively.

Ridiculously enough, unless it changes, I think I've seen enough of Conteball. I have absolutely no problem in playing that way against City, Liverpool, Chelsea, fuck me even Scum or Leeds or West Ham away. But outside of that sort of opposition, to play the only way he appears to know how to play is boring as fuck and it doesn't even appear to work that well.

Last edited:
I’ve never felt sorry for a manager as I do for him. I’m 100 per cent confident he will resign soon
I'd be very happy if he did, refused the pay off and any non-disclosure contracts and simply gave us all what we want to hear, a true insider story on Levy and the squad.

That would make him a Tottenham legend in my book.

I can't take to Conte as much as others. While he has plenty to moan and be upset about, he often comes across as extremely whiny. I think he's clearly a superb manager when he has great players all ove the pitch at his disposal but much less so when he needs to build the team. He's nowhere near the same league as Jurgen Klopp, someone who constantly improves lesser players. Not to mention his style of football is far more attractive.

I can't take to Conte as much as others. While he has plenty to moan and be upset about, he often comes across as extremely whiny. I think he's clearly a superb manager when he has great players all ove the pitch at his disposal but much less so when he needs to build the team. He's nowhere near the same league as Jurgen Klopp, someone who constantly improves lesser players. Not to mention his style of football is far more attractive.
Klopps Liverpool were shit un till he was backed with players like Van dijk, Salah, Mane etc
They came 8th in his first season, probably where we will come in Contes first. We can judge how good he is for us once he's actually given some good players to work with.

Goes to show how crap the quality of our first team has become due to underinvestment and the lack of a Dembele.

People can rag on about spending all they like, but we weren't out-gunned in terms of squad quality last night.

Much like the "same players that let Poch down 3 years ago" narrative is thin as fuck....

Romero 50m
Doherty 16m
Emerson 25m
PEH 16m
Kulu 38m (Loan)
Berg 28m

All played last night.

+ Reg (30m) & Rodon (12m) on the bench.

None of them played under Poch.

Last edited:
People can rag on about spending all they like, but we weren't out-gunned in terms of squad quality last night.

Much like the "same players that let Poch down 3 years ago" narrative is thin as fuck....

Romero 50m
Doherty 16m
Emerson 25m
PEH 16m
Kulu 38m (Loan)
Berg 28m

All played last night.

Yeah the problem isn’t the amount being spent but the clowns spending it

Romero 50m
Doherty 16m
Emerson 25m
PEH 16m
Kulu 38m (Loan)
Berg 28m

All played last night.

Can you please post this again so I can agree again?

I remember Sam Allardyce saying he could do a job at Real Madrid when they had all their galacticos. He's right. Why is someone who wins everywhere they go one of the best if everywhere they go also have the best squads? It's his job to work with and improve what he has. And use formations and tactics suitable for the opponent we are facing. Wanting a championship team to have possession of the ball is a verbal warning offence as far as I'm concerned. Asking for trouble. Embarassing tactics. Imagine having "the best manager available to us" in the hot seat and not being able to play a flat back four system effectively.

Ridiculously enough, unless it changes, I think I've seen enough of Conteball. I have absolutely no problem in playing that way against City, Liverpool, Chelsea, fuck me even Scum or Leeds or West Ham away. But outside of that sort of opposition, to play the only way he appears to know how to play is boring as fuck and it doesn't even appear to work that well.
Its not about wanting Boro to have the ball. It is impossible to keep the ball when the best available team includes the likes of winks, hogclog, kulusevksi (hes still young etc) who are shit at keeping the ball. And with defenders likes davies, doherty, dier, etc. its hard to defend as well.

We need especially serious investment in the CM position and that does not mean buying 20 more hogbergs but real players who would get in teams like liverpool, city, chavs, manu, arse . You think either winks or hogberg can get in a top 10 PL team? Never. So..for now we are fucked .

Fancy turning up - on national TV too - to play a Championship side and not wanting your team to retain the ball. To dominate and then overcome Boro by virtue of the skills of a squad full of internationals.

I’ve only seen Conte’s Spurs attempt to play one way. If it was Allardyce the hipsters would be outraged. Whatever the respective styles, many these feted managers only seem to be able to play one way - Bielsa, Pep, Jose etc etc.

We’ve probably all had our say on Conte’s histrionics too. Suffice to say that last week’s outburst was a terrible look, given events away from football.

Turning this stale and stodgy Tottenham side around would be a huge achievement and a true test of managerial aptitude. Will he have the patience and flexibility to do it or will he follow the money and a trophy ready club?

Its not about wanting Boro to have the ball. It is impossible to keep the ball when the best available team includes the likes of winks, hogclog, kulusevksi (hes still young etc) who are shit at keeping the ball. And with defenders likes davies, doherty, dier, etc. its hard to defend as well.

We need especially serious investment in the CM position and that does not mean buying 20 more hogbergs but real players who would get in teams like liverpool, city, chavs, manu, arse . You think either winks or hogberg can get in a top 10 PL team? Never. So..for now we are fucked .
As per Airfixx Airfixx 's argument. Are you honestly saying that Middlesbrough have better options than us? Anywhere on the pitch? Johnny Howson, who absolutely ran the game is a 33 year old Norwich reject. Think about it. Not good enough for Norwich.

Klopps Liverpool were shit un till he was backed with players like Van dijk, Salah, Mane etc
They came 8th in his first season, probably where we will come in Contes first. We can judge how good he is for us once he's actually given some good players to work with.

Well Klopp certainly didn't throw a bitch fit and act like he doesn't want to be at the club when they lost games.

As per Airfixx Airfixx 's argument. Are you honestly saying that Middlesbrough have better options than us? Anywhere on the pitch? Johnny Howson, who absolutely ran the game is a 33 year old Norwich reject. Think about it. Not good enough for Norwich.

Many don't want to hear it mate....

They're not reflecting on the game... Just their pre-existing thoughts upon certain players.

He has to commit to a long contract first, 3 or 4 years at least and if need be a flat severance rate.

I think your best bet is to reset our expectations. We didn't go all out to improve when we were on the verge of succeeding, why would we do it when our stock is drastically lower.

I don't know but they've got to do something haven't they? Standing still will only push us lower in the table and we will be back to where we were when ENIC took over, a mid table team with no hope of anything else to look forward to other than a positive goal difference at the end of the season. I don't want to go back to that.

As per Airfixx Airfixx 's argument. Are you honestly saying that Middlesbrough have better options than us? Anywhere on the pitch? Johnny Howson, who absolutely ran the game is a 33 Norwich reject. Think about it. Not good enough for Norwich.
I am saying Winks would not get in the middlesborough team and hogberg is shite enough games that hed have compete hard to get in their team too. In the center of the pitch, having two really shit players does hurt us.

Its either the players are shit or the manager is shit. Conte, Nuno, Mourinho and Poch were all bad but our players are good? I dont know.

Well Klopp certainly didn't throw a bitch fit and act like he doesn't want to be at the club when they lost games.

Remember this?

......Then look at some of the names on the back of those shirts!

I think we're learning what I've suspected all along; that the Super-Managers (tm) aren't necessarily the best managers, universally speaking..... They're merely the best when they have optimum elements in place.

This is why I'd rate Klopp as head and shoulders above Guardiola for instance. With both BVB and now Liverpool he's taken on Goliath and won (*Not with meagre resources; but comparatively modest ones).

Last edited:
I am saying Winks would not get in the middlesborough team and hogberg is shite enough games that hed have compete hard to get in their team too. In the center of the pitch, having two really shit players does hurt us.

Its either the players are shit or the manager is shit. Conte, Nuno, Mourinho and Poch were all bad but our players are good? I dont know.

It's not that conveniently B&W; no matter how much you want it to boil down too "Levy is a tight cunt".

As already pointed out we've had 19 new players since Poch kicked off his ill fated last season (roughtly 300m spent).

.....And it's sure as fuck that some of the management (in various aspects) has left a lot to be desired during that same period too.

Some recruitment decisions has been highly detrimental too.

Fair do's, if that's your opinion. I'd disagree, but then as they say life would be boring if we all agreed on everything all the time.

I personally think, if as a manager you are struggling for options in order to play a certain way then you need to get creative. Don't play both of them. Make Harry play CM put Sonny up top, let Sess be a WF. There are *always* options. But to carry on playing that way no matter who you face is poor as far as I'm concerned.

Back
Top Bottom