Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’d say more accurately that he’s a checkbook manager.

He can win when he’s the richest team in the league or if he has ready made players in their primes. But so can many other managers. Most don’t get the chance to go to clubs like this.
Ok. I get what you are trying to say. But honestly, If we were a checkbook club, I still wouldn't want him.

I'll be the first to admit that when we signed him, I thought that if he couldn't "fix" us, nobody could. His reputation was that high but even then, it always felt that he was doing us a favour by managing us.
I appreciate that the last few months of his tenure were difficult for him from a personal note, but he should have been honest and asked for some time off, to be with his family.
But he caused havoc at that time, throwing accusations and blame at everyone but himself,
And I'm not even going to mention how turgid the football was most of last season, he was asking for the sack, so he'd get his payoff.
I have nothing but contempt for the guy.
Big Ange is the complete opposite in every way he can be, thank goodness.
Maybe we had to suffer the dross of Mourinho, Nuno and Conte to realise and appreciate what we have now.
Plus I can't ever imagine Big Ange being vain enough to wear a Syrup (or go full blown weave like Cunte did) when he eventually loses his hair!

I'll be the first to admit that when we signed him, I thought that if he couldn't "fix" us, nobody could. His reputation was that high but even then, it always felt that he was doing us a favour by managing us.
I appreciate that the last few months of his tenure were difficult for him from a personal note, but he should have been honest and asked for some time off, to be with his family.
But he caused havoc at that time, throwing accusations and blame at everyone but himself,
And I'm not even going to mention how turgid the football was most of last season, he was asking for the sack, so he'd get his payoff.
I have nothing but contempt for the guy.
Big Ange is the complete opposite in every way he can be, thank goodness.
Maybe we had to suffer the dross of Mourinho, Nuno and Conte to realise and appreciate what we have now.

I agree with all of your post, I felt the same way. I don’t think I’ve ever been as disappointed with a manager as I have with him. He just wasn’t as good as we were led to believe. The fall of last season was spectacular from the previous season. I think he downed tools the summer inbetween and wanted out then.

The football will still be painful to watch but he'd be the best coach in Serie A if he went to Juve. I guess they don't want to go down the project route again after Pirlo.

I'm not sure if any top or even up and coming coaches would want to go to Juve anyway.

They will probably do well. Conte is NOT a bad coach, his first season with us was brilliant. Totally resurrected the club. He just wasn’t suited to being here longer term, I don’t think he was ever that keen on us and it turned toxic quickly.

He will feel comfortable at Juve like he did at Inter. Will probably throw a wobbly 2-3 seasons in but they will win stuff.

They will probably do well. Conte is NOT a bad coach, his first season with us was brilliant. Totally resurrected the club. He just wasn’t suited to being here longer term, I don’t think he was ever that keen on us and it turned toxic quickly.

He will feel comfortable at Juve like he did at Inter. Will probably throw a wobbly 2-3 seasons in but they will win stuff.

Of course he will, it's Serie A

Won't be getting anywhere near the CL though.

Of course he will, it's Serie A

Won't be getting anywhere near the CL though.

Probably not, his teams suck in Europe. But Juve have struggled with Serie A lately so getting back to dominating domestically is the short term plan I imagine.

He can do well outside Italy but he’s too temperamental and his methods seem to have a short lifespan. Especially with us where again, I really don’t think he ever wanted to be. He was here for a pay check.

Conte addresses famous Tottenham rant almost a year after being sacked

Antonio Conte has no regrets over Tottenham rant which attacked players and questioned club's mentality​

ALEX YOUNG @ALEXWSYOUNG2
14th February 2024

The Italian claimed Spurs players struggled with pressure in what proved to be his final press conference in charge
Antonio Conte has insisted he has no regrets about his attack on Tottenham players at Southampton before he was sacked.
Conte launched into Spurs players after they blew a two-goal lead to draw 3-3 at St Mary’s in what proved to be his exit speech, saying they didn’t “want to play under pressure” and questioning their mentality during a furious post-match press conference.

Speaking for the first time since leaving Spurs in an interview with the Telegraph, Conte said: “At that moment, my feeling was that. If I tell something, it means there is always something true.
“No, honestly, I don’t regret anything about this. But I have good feelings about Tottenham. I keep this experience in my heart.”

Asked if he can be too honest, Conte replied: “I am this way. I hate the lies. This can help me sometimes or sometimes can hurt me. But I prefer to stay in silence than to tell a good lie - also the relationship with my players.

“During the season, it can happen that you need an honest conversation that can be positive or negative. I know very well, I was a player as well and some coaches told me good lies to keep me calm. I don’t want this type of situation.

“I know very well when you have these honest conversations with the players, in the first moment they can be a bit angry. Then, from my experience, the time helps the player to appreciate you. They were angry, but then they appreciate the honesty.”

Just over a month before he was sacked by Tottenham, Conte underwent emergency surgery to remove his gallbladder. He initially came back to work just a week later but then took a further four weeks off to fully recover.

Conte has revealed he pushed himself to come back quickly and it was Spurs chairman Daniel Levy who told him to go home and recover.

Back
Top Bottom