Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

"But I have good feelings about Tottenham. I keep this experience in my heart.”

well least he said that than what Jose came out with, and he was here longer. But good riddance to both

Why now...?
Has he got a job interview in the coming days???

Why not admit to being the orchestrator of serving up the most negative, boring, win at all costs (but still not managing to) anti-football ever seen at WHL in recent memory??

Strange timing....

Has he got a job offer at WIGan Athletic or summit?

Cos this sounds like the desperate pleading of someone who has to justify themselves....

Conte addresses famous Tottenham rant almost a year after being sacked

Antonio Conte has no regrets over Tottenham rant which attacked players and questioned club's mentality​

ALEX YOUNG @ALEXWSYOUNG2
14th February 2024

The Italian claimed Spurs players struggled with pressure in what proved to be his final press conference in charge
Antonio Conte has insisted he has no regrets about his attack on Tottenham players at Southampton before he was sacked.
Conte launched into Spurs players after they blew a two-goal lead to draw 3-3 at St Mary’s in what proved to be his exit speech, saying they didn’t “want to play under pressure” and questioning their mentality during a furious post-match press conference.

Speaking for the first time since leaving Spurs in an interview with the Telegraph, Conte said: “At that moment, my feeling was that. If I tell something, it means there is always something true.
“No, honestly, I don’t regret anything about this. But I have good feelings about Tottenham. I keep this experience in my heart.”

Asked if he can be too honest, Conte replied: “I am this way. I hate the lies. This can help me sometimes or sometimes can hurt me. But I prefer to stay in silence than to tell a good lie - also the relationship with my players.

“During the season, it can happen that you need an honest conversation that can be positive or negative. I know very well, I was a player as well and some coaches told me good lies to keep me calm. I don’t want this type of situation.

“I know very well when you have these honest conversations with the players, in the first moment they can be a bit angry. Then, from my experience, the time helps the player to appreciate you. They were angry, but then they appreciate the honesty.”

Just over a month before he was sacked by Tottenham, Conte underwent emergency surgery to remove his gallbladder. He initially came back to work just a week later but then took a further four weeks off to fully recover.

Conte has revealed he pushed himself to come back quickly and it was Spurs chairman Daniel Levy who told him to go home and recover.
I still support his outburst.
I don't care if people didn't like him or his football. He was bloody right what he said. Bunch of shit players letting us down over and over.

And what's happened since?

Most of the players who started that game have left or been relegated to bench warmers.

And there have still been times this season where we have had to cling on for dear life for a result, so that attitude still hasn't gone.

Conte was never a long term coach. He came and got champions league football ahead of an Woolwich team that subsequently finished miles above us and is currently above us. He did his job for the 21/22 season.

I'm almost 100% certain that the majority of hatred for him is because he was at chelsea. We have had far worse coaches than him that deserve far more vitriol.

I don't care if people didn't like him or his football. He was bloody right what he said. Bunch of shit players letting us down over and over.

Most of the players who started that game have left or been relegated to bench warmers.

And there have still been times this season where we have had to cling on for dear life for a result, so that attitude still hasn't gone.

Conte was never a long term coach. He came and got champions league football ahead of an Woolwich team that subsequently finished miles above us and is currently above us. He did his job for the 21/22 season.

I'm almost 100% certain that the majority of hatred for him is because he was at chelsea. We have had far worse coaches than him that deserve far more vitriol.
He was spot on in his assessment during that rant but he’s also a total cunt that deserves all of the hatred and vitriol coming his way.

We’ve had plenty of managers who have been far worse than him in terms of results but this guy continues to throw jabs a year later while we’re doing well.

A lot of managers win at the clubs he coached at, he’s not some managing unicorn but he certainly acts the part.

Decent honest manager. Wrong time for us. Also had a completely understandable breakdown. Right that he left, all parties agree. At least he doesn’t slag us off like Mou. Everyone has moved on.

Decent honest manager. Wrong time for us. Also had a completely understandable breakdown. Right that he left, all parties agree. At least he doesn’t slag us off like Mou. Everyone has moved on.

Agreed, we all know Conte's personality. If you don't share his ambition it will end in tears. If you aren't aiming for a title then do not hire him.

He did a great job in his first season and while the second season was shit (especially us not signing a CB), there were many extenuating circumstances (midseason WC, Ventrone/Mihajlovic/Vialli dying, Bentancur injury, Conte's illness etc) that together ruined our season.

But everything Conte said about the players and owners was true and perhaps it needed to be said. I think in the long-run we will be better off for Conte lighting a fire under Levy's anus. Ange is a different personality but I believe he has the same will to win as Conte.

Agreed, we all know Conte's personality. If you don't share his ambition it will end in tears. If you aren't aiming for a title then do not hire him.

He did a great job in his first season and while the second season was shit (especially us not signing a CB), there were many extenuating circumstances (midseason WC, Ventrone/Mihajlovic/Vialli dying, Conte's illness etc) that together ruined our season.

But everything Conte said about the players and owners was true and perhaps it needed to be said. I think in the long-run we will be better off for Conte lighting a fire under Levy's anus. Ange is a different personality but I believe he has the same will to win as Conte.
Agree - think Ange will be much more open to ideas for others though as part of an overall management team, never gonna that from Conte and under Levy we need to move differently

I don’t think its got anything to do with being ex Chelscum. apart from the last months of his tenure the fans in the stadium would sing his name far more frequently then any individual players. He was adored but bit by bit we could all see that his heart wasn’t in it (perhaps for good reasons - his family being in Italy, the death of 3 close friends). And towards the very end his attitude, moaning and tactics got worse. I absolutely believe he wanted to be sacked and be paid out. Thats unforgivable and I hope he never tastes success again.

Just in denial conte all the time. He needs a job somewhere like inter miami or la galaxy or in a warm climate and a one horse race league. Celtic would be too cold for him. Bloke is a liability and high maintenance. Thats the simple truth.

I think it's the arrogance and ostensible downing of tools which pisses a lot of people off. Earning £8 million per year should at least guarantee professionalism and respect for the club until your final day of service. Any lout with half a brain cell can shout about poor performance, players, culture etc. The difficult part is fixing it.

I hated Mourinho with a passion whilst he managed the Chavs. I supported him when he took the Spurs job. Didn't hate Conte nearly as much when he managed Chavs - his behaviour during last season was puerile and embarrassing for someone in his position. Don't hate him now - to be honest I don't give two shit about him especially because we've got a coach who actually seems to "get it".

He did a great job in his first season and while the second season was shit (especially us not signing a CB), there were many extenuating circumstances (midseason WC, Ventrone/Mihajlovic/Vialli dying, Bentancur injury, Conte's illness etc) that together ruined our season.

It's actually mad he managed to soldier on with all that going on. And people constantly ignore the fact we were in the top 4 and going well when he melted. We weren't shit or having a bad season. He had us up there with Dier, Skipp, PEH, etc as starters most weeks.

Full of excuses. Gladly took the 15m salary. Blag after blag after blag. Chequebook manager who starts throwing his weight around when winter months hit. Past his prime.
Chequebook manager who took over the tripe from Nono, signed 2 players (1 on loan) and went on title winning form to get top 4. Don't be daft.
FYI, in 16/17 at Chelsea, where he took them from 10th to the title, they had a net spend of £17m

I think it's the arrogance and ostensible downing of tools which pisses a lot of people off. Earning £8 million per year should at least guarantee professionalism and respect for the club until your final day of service. Any lout with half a brain cell can shout about poor performance, players, culture etc. The difficult part is fixing it.

I hated Mourinho with a passion whilst he managed the Chavs. I supported him when he took the Spurs job. Didn't hate Conte nearly as much when he managed Chavs - his behaviour during last season was puerile and embarrassing for someone in his position. Don't hate him now - to be honest I don't give two shit about him especially because we've got a coach who actually seems to "get it".

At what point did he down tools? The fact he carried on with poor health and death around him is insane really.
The only thing he did wrong was stubborn refusal to try fringe players. But when you actually think about it, he may have been a bit more ITK about them from training than we give him credit for. Whilst Bissouma has shown glimpses of his best earlier in the season, I can't remember the last time he in the MOTM conversation, can you? He didn't have Udogie, VdV, a useful, reliable keeper, a more mature Sarr. It's mad that we were sat in 4th by the time he went.

It's actually mad he managed to soldier on with all that going on. And people constantly ignore the fact we were in the top 4 and going well when he melted. We weren't shit or having a bad season. He had us up there with Dier, Skipp, PEH, etc as starters most weeks.

Chequebook manager who took over the tripe from Nono, signed 2 players (1 on loan) and went on title winning form to get top 4. Don't be daft.
FYI, in 16/17 at Chelsea, where he took them from 10th to the title, they had a net spend of £17m

At what point did he down tools? The fact he carried on with poor health and death around him is insane really.
The only thing he did wrong was stubborn refusal to try fringe players. But when you actually think about it, he may have been a bit more ITK about them from training than we give him credit for. Whilst Bissouma has shown glimpses of his best earlier in the season, I can't remember the last time he in the MOTM conversation, can you? He didn't have Udogie, VdV, a useful, reliable keeper, a more mature Sarr. It's mad that we were sat in 4th by the time he went.
Thousands of people work despite health problems and bereavement, most without access to the services Conte would've had access to. I sympathise with him but...

... His post-match comments and the way he set us up to play last season were akin to downing tools in my view. We were anti-football par excellence - on par with Moyes. Far worse than the season before from recollection.

I agree we now have a better squad overall than last season. VDV, Udogie, Maddison, Vic are game changers for us. I'm sure Conte would've played VDV over Davies but doubt he'd have "trusted" the others to play in his system...

Respect for getting CL after taking over from Nuno but he left us in a similar state.

Back
Top Bottom