Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The fact is we are where we are because of ENICs mediocrity in the market. Always has been always will be.

We are gatekeepers. The goal will always be a 4th spot finish whilst trying to maximise income and minimise outgoings. Thats it. Thats the project.

Even if by some miracle Ange became a quality manager, works on a shoe string budget and tirelessly works to build a solid team over a number of years, we will always fall short, run out of steam, lack that final bit of quality to push for trophies, not replenish the squad with said quality, and ultimately fizzle out, get sacked and recycle the project with another squad makeover on a minimal budget.

Now think where we would be right now, had we just stuck our hand in our pocket when Poch begged Levy to splash the cash in the market. It was long overdue.

Liverpool did it, they bought big when and where necessary. Smart buys and choosing carefully.

But this club doesnt operate like that. We buy in cycles. And then recycle when it goes bad.

Yep and we always lose our world class players because of it.

I think the players will like him as a bloke, but definitely think they also question his actual credentials as a supposed top manager. I wasn't posting here at the beginning of the season but privately was telling anyone that would listen that the style of football wasn't sustainable and at some point of the season we would hit a brick wall.
Course ye were

I'll give him time, cause where the eff are we going if we sack him?! Yet another manager, yet another project?! Talk about a vicious circle.
That’s the problem with a lot of Tottenham fans right now who have put all their hopes in Postecoglou and they look at how it turns to shit, but they refuse to accept it. We shouldn’t give extra time to a manager just because we’re fucking hopeless afterwards. I am not sure how many shit performances you want to see to get your head out of the sand? We’ve sacked our most successful manager in Premier League and I didn’t see so much disappointment that it didn’t work out like I see now with Postecoglou.

You said it yourself, this job is too big for him. There are better managers out there, so why insist with Postecoglou to try and make it work? Weird.

That’s the problem with a lot of Tottenham fans who have put all their hopes in Postecoglou and now they look how all is slowly ruined, but they refuse to accept it. We shouldn’t give extra time to a manager just because we’re fucking hopeless afterwards. I am not sure how many shit performances you want to see to say enough is enough? We’ve sacked our most successful manager in Premier League and I didn’t see so much disappointment that it didn’t work out like there is now with Postecoglou.

You said it yourself, this job is too big for him. There are better managers out there, so why insist with Postecoglou to try and make it work? Weird.
It feels and looks like he’s the australian Redknapp right now- “get out there, run about and have a go at it” while smiling and having a laugh. Zero evidence of passing combinations through the middle and in the final third. It’s the end of the season- there should be some evidence of a system. The only system I see right now is dumping it to the wingers and hoping they can do something magical. That is not a system.

I think it’s interesting that in the last couple of days Ange has mentioned the staff twice, either not being believers or suggesting there going to be change.

O’Keefe on his Twitter has specifically picked out Mason and Wells as coaches he’d move on

View: https://x.com/dan_kp/status/1786513562615316702?s=46&t=Zr__ObRcjqxF616P03tagg

View: https://x.com/dan_kp/status/1786000032610591180?s=46&t=Zr__ObRcjqxF616P03tagg

View: https://x.com/pokeefe1/status/1786520745452990811?s=46&t=Zr__ObRcjqxF616P03tagg

It feels and looks like he’s the australian Redknapp right now- “get out there, run about and have a go at it” while smiling and having a laugh. Zero evidence of passing combinations through the middle and in the final third. It’s the end of the season- there should be some evidence of a system. The only system I see right now is dumping it to the wingers and hoping they can do something magical. That is not a system.
I’ve said it before I did not want him as manager, thought it was a very uninspiring appointment. But I am not gonna lie, for the first time this season I felt sad for the manager last night when I saw him get frustrated and shout at the players. I don’t see what he’s trying to do with this team though, he inverts his fullbacks and keeps his wingers wide for what reason? He wants to pack the midfield and stretch the opposition’s defence by using wingers…? (who btw are often cutting inside and they run into a bunch of players). Doing this every game for the sake of it is just dumb imo, there is no way a system works on every team we face. Also the high line, it compresses the space even more so basically you end up having 15-20 players within 30 yards in the opposition’s half. No wonder it doesn’t fucking work to break down sides and we’re extremely prone to long balls.

I think it’s interesting that in the last couple of days Ange has mentioned the staff twice, either not being believers or suggesting there going to be change.

O’Keefe on his Twitter has specifically picked out Mason and Wells as coaches he’d move on

View: https://x.com/dan_kp/status/1786513562615316702?s=46&t=Zr__ObRcjqxF616P03tagg

View: https://x.com/dan_kp/status/1786000032610591180?s=46&t=Zr__ObRcjqxF616P03tagg

View: https://x.com/pokeefe1/status/1786520745452990811?s=46&t=Zr__ObRcjqxF616P03tagg

Good, fuck knows what mason is doing at the club. Hes personally overseen every failure.

The worst part is most of the first 11 haven't been here long lol .

Anyone who doesn’t fancy it will be out by the sounds of it (Levy permitting)

View: https://x.com/fabrizioromano/status/1786511403110563991?s=46&t=Zr__ObRcjqxF616P03tagg

Levy permitting is the ultimate problem though imo.

Watching his presser earlier he essentially said "I believe what I believe, I won't change that and if players aren't good enough for what I believe, they will be changed"

Paraphrasing but that's essentially it, people expecting him to alter his approach to how he manages games or for him to suddenly care about set piece training etc are in for a shock because I feel like Ange is pretty straightforward and honest (something I do admire and respect) but it also doesn't bode well for us imo and that's because of Levy.

The reason I say that is simply that Daniel Levy has always operated (and will likely always operate) on the idea that you get the absolute best from what you have, I would argue that considering our early season form, Ange isn't getting the best from what he currently has now and I am willing to bet Levy will see it that way as well.

Levy isn't the type to just sell and gut a team for a manager, he didn't do it for Conte or Jose and those are proven title winning managers at the highest level, he didn't even do it for Poch who took us to a CL final and was frankly the best manager in my lifetime at least.

The reality is, Ange can dream of winning titles and dream of selling and replacing players who don't fit into the system and spending whatever is needed to make the system effective and work but we don't have an owner that will support those ideals imo, and given the risk after the form we have shown for months now, it makes it even less likely that will happen.

Obviously I could be wrong, happy to be wrong about it but I just can't see it personally.

I’m off the message board until Sunday. Those of you heading up to Scouse territory over the weekend - Bless you - You’re better men than I am.
And women!!

Giggity!!

giggity GIF

I’ve said it before I did not want him as manager, thought it was a very uninspiring appointment. But I am not gonna lie, for the first time this season I felt sad for the manager last night when I saw him get frustrated and shout at the players. I don’t see what he’s trying to do with this team though, he inverts his fullbacks and keeps his wingers wide for what reason? He wants to pack the midfield and stretch the opposition’s defence by using wingers…? (who btw are often cutting inside and they run into a bunch of players). Doing this every game for the sake of it is just dumb imo, there is no way a system works on every team we face. Also the high line, it compresses the space even more so basically you end up having 15-20 players within 30 yards in the opposition’s half. No wonder it doesn’t fucking work to break down sides and we’re extremely prone to long balls.
You've hit on what I'm trying to understand. When you watch the matches are you seeing open passes the players aren't taking or empty spaces they aren't running into? Because that is what Postecoglou seems to be implying. But when I watch the matches I'm not seeing this system producing the overloads that create open spaces. Maybe that, too, is on the players but I wonder how much of it is that Premier League teams are talented enough to take away things that perhaps the offense would have generated other places he's been. And something I don't see discussed is that the buildup isn't producing the open lanes for the medium to long diagonal passes that create opportunity in the final third. It just looks like Spurs slow walk into the final third against defenses that are just sitting back waiting for them. Maybe there is more opportunity there, but it's hard to see when you're watching it on TV as opposed to being there in person.

The guy needs proper coaches next to him. Mason is a levy yes man and shouldnt be near our first team squad. Also what was the reason for mile jedniak to come in as assistant manager. Who was anges assistant at celtic.

Back
Top Bottom