Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But when I watch the matches I'm not seeing this system producing the overloads that create open spaces. Maybe that, too, is on the players but I wonder how much of it is that Premier League teams are talented enough to take away things that perhaps the offense would have generated other places he's been.
yea im not sure what hes on about. the personnel hes selecting is never going to be capable of what he wants. when city cant play through they can at least put the ball in the box and lknow they have a beast in haaland whos going to get joy if the ball in is dangerous. we have our wide players in these same positions but they never cross the ball, its a dream for the opposition when you dont want to cross the ball. they can just focus on stopping you trying to overplay it to get as close to their goal as possible. fucking easy game. they will let the wide players have space knowing they dont have to get close as the cross isnt coming, meaning its even more compact in their box.

its like hes still trying to emulate barcelona 2010.... even city are thumping the ball in the box when its on! when you got iniesta, messi and xavi you dont need to cross.

next year if theres no massive improvement hes going to be exposed as a clown. you cant play the ball into the goal like barcelona 2010 if you dont have barcelona 2010 level players. you find solutions for what you have.

Last edited:
So success is now deemed as growth next season. That’s pretty far from his challenge next season. Levy’s broke him 😂. We will hear Sessengon’s return is like a new signing soon.

Spiky in response to the four losses in a row question 🙋‍♂️.

The guy needs proper coaches next to him. Mason is a levy yes man and shouldnt be near our first team squad. Also what was the reason for mile jedniak to come in as assistant manager. Who was anges assistant at celtic.
He tried to bring John Kennedy - but he wont leave Celtic.
He then tried another bloke can't remember his name... failed. Finally he got Jedinak.

I wonder if
- Ange 's lack of adaptability
- lack of calibre assistant coaches
- Spurs game plan/tactics (if there is one)

are these the MAIN pr0blems?

The bigger question is - can't the players themselves take responsibility on simple matters such as defending in a set piece. Like the Capt coming in & sorting it out. Hey 2 Chav guys at the end of the wall - you you mark him tight, Hey fling that guy out of Vicario's neck... common sense!! where is the leadership- seriously i dont see it on the pitch.

from the sun
=
Some Spurs supporters questioned Postecoglou’s appointment in June from Celtic, arguing his success in Japan and Scotland was not enough to warrant a top Premier League job.

Those worries soon vanished when he started the season like a house on fire, going unbeaten in his first ten games to send Tottenham top of the league.

Yet that old narrative has reared its head again after losses to Newcastle, Woolwich and Chelsea have now left Spurs’ Champions League chances almost in tatters.

Thursday’s display in a 2-0 defeat at Stamford Bridge was particularly concerning.

Some fans are worried that though his open, attacking, uncompromising style won league titles with Yokohama and Celtic, it may not necessarily translate to the Premier League.

And straight-talking Postecoglou understands he will have doubters until he delivers success.

He explained: “What do you reckon they said when I got to Japan? [The same].

“What do you reckon they said when I got to Scotland?

“I get that. I understand that. It’s legitimate until success comes and then it doesn’t become legitimate.

“My role is to navigate us to where I think we’ll be successful.

“It’s not new to me. It’s not something I haven’t been asked before.
“I’ve always just navigated it exactly the same way.

The guy needs proper coaches next to him. Mason is a levy yes man and shouldnt be near our first team squad. Also what was the reason for mile jedniak to come in as assistant manager. Who was anges assistant at celtic.
He’s said that he’s always taken young coaches on wherever he has gone. It’s worked for him previously - issue is this is the highest level of football dealing with a different calibre of players.

If he’s going to succeed he has to be willing to make changes to his norm (including hiring a fucking set peice coach)

People like Mason and Jedinak need to be let go, loser players equal loser coaches. We need experienced winners on and off the pitch

I think Ange has realised we have an ingrained loser mentality in this club and he has a bigger job on his hands than originally thought

I’m with him all the way, he needs time and backing and he’ll get us there

Christ, 23 pages to read through!

Sad A Christmas Story GIF by filmeditor
Don‘t bother jist of it is ……
1. Ange is out of his depth, we’re a big club Totnum
2. Levy is to blame ………for everything
3. well that’s it ……..

People like Mason and Jedinak need to be let go, loser players equal loser coaches. We need experienced winners on and off the pitch

I think Ange has realised we have an ingrained loser mentality in this club and he has a bigger job on his hands than originally thought

He would have known about the ingrained loser mentality when he took the job on et al the message from all our previous managers, particularly hammered home by Conte.
Unfortunately, the massively lowered expectations following his appointment only served to ingrain that mentality even further.

View: https://twitter.com/CPFC/status/1282051518921945093?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1282051518921945093%7Ctwgr%5E9fb5d79ec0b324f58202b0b5881505b1f0bad5b4%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.socceroos.com.au%2Fnews%2Freliving-jedinaks-journey-top-australian-football-community-pays-tribute-miles-career

He was most definitely not a loser player, not everyone wins PL titles or CL cups in this game, he was a highly regarded player and captain for Australia and for every club he played for!

edit: "Jedinak scored 20 goals over a distinguished 10-year period for the Green and Gold and he will forever be remembered for his penalty taking technique.

The combative midfielder finished his career with an unblemished record from the penalty spot for club and country."

Last edited:
John Kennedy was his assistant manager. He’s exactly what Mason is. A club man whose career was cut short with injury. He’s a very good coach to be fair to him.

That’s lazy saying that about Jedinak. He was a winner as player. Maybe never won loads if leagues and cups but he was a tough player who gave 100%.

We can look for things like coaches not being capable which I 100% don’t agree with but let’s not be kidded here it’s the players. Yes I blame zonal on the manager and coaching staff but within that players must say fuck this I’m picking him up at a corner. They are the managers of the game on the pitch. It’s not a coaches fault that every front player couldn’t hold up a bank with a bazooka. It’s not a coaches fault that midfielders don’t track runners. It’s not a coaches fault we don’t shoot from outside the box. It’s not the coaches fault that from corners we our keeper or players don’t do their jobs.

The players must stand up and be counted and if they are not capable of playing the way the manager wants then move them on whether they’ve been there a year or longer.

As fans we try and complicate things and guess what’s wrong when at the end of the day it’s the players.

Sorry but it all feels a bit over the shop. A few weeks ago it was challenging for the title and now we need to almost completely rebuild the squad and coaching staff? So this rebuild season wasnt a rebuild, that will be next season when we need to see growth?

Again this is no slight on him i almost feel a bit sorry for him because i think the penny has finally dropped what he's taken on and the challenges but if Poch didnt get a rebuild, or Conte then what chance Ange? Its why i think we need a more adaptable manager that trys different things and can get more out of the team than the sum of its parts.

We know how this plays out though, he'll be here start of next season after an ok but ultimately dissapointing summer window, get the hump, patchy results and we know how it ends because we've seen it time and time again.

So success is now deemed as growth next season. That’s pretty far from his challenge next season. Levy’s broke him 😂. We will hear Sessengon’s return is like a new signing soon.

Spiky in response to the four losses in a row question 🙋‍♂️.
I mean that’s just not what he said. success was and is winning trophies. Was this season and next. Playing better is progress.

If we do a hypothetical based on what nicoclaesen wrote in the positivity thread what do people think Ange would do?

In this scenario Daniel comes to him in the Summer and says we have a chance to sign peak Christian Vieri. A big, strong bull of a forward, coming at you fast and hard and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. No keep ball, just give it to him and let him do his thing route one.

Would Ange say no, he doesn't fit the profile I'm looking for, or would he say great, let's do it?

I enjoyed the press conference from yesterday, reassuring to hear him open up about our direction and the scale of the challenge.

View: https://youtu.be/Vs40ya-Obik?si=cKF_riwM6vhER8Hc

I think some of us underestimated how much work needs to be done to break away from the deeply ingrained loser mentality of the club. Ange’s challenge isn’t just to win games but it’s to completely change the nature of Tottenham. To go from losers to winners. Much more esteemed managers than Ange have failed to achieve that but it does seem like there is a willingness from Levy to rebuild the entire football operation.

Doesn’t mean we have to accept the shite being served up at the moment but we should always remember where we were the last few years. We went out of Europe against Zagreb whose manager was in prison, from 2-0 up. We couldn’t score a goal against Sheffield United’s reserves in the FA Cup. We have lost 8 FA cup semis in a row. The recent defeats are nothing remarkable when you look at just how bad we’ve been since the CL final. Ange has to be given time to change the club.

Sorry but it all feels a bit over the shop. A few weeks ago it was challenging for the title and now we need to almost completely rebuild the squad and coaching staff? So this rebuild season wasnt a rebuild, that will be next season when we need to see growth?

Again this is no slight on him i almost feel a bit sorry for him because i think the penny has finally dropped what he's taken on and the challenges but if Poch didnt get a rebuild, or Conte then what chance Ange? Its why i think we need a more adaptable manager that trys different things and can get more out of the team than the sum of its parts.

We know how this plays out though, he'll be here start of next season after an ok but ultimately dissapointing summer window, get the hump, patchy results and we know how it ends because we've seen it time and time again.
I def think Ange comes over as a good bloke, and he does I believe truly want to be here and wants the challenge, unlike Conte. I think it's dawned on him how big this job is though and I just don't know if he's the guy to unpick it, unfortunately I can see that scenario you say unfolding. Jury's out for me, I like him and want time to succeed though, it is (mostly) better than watching the halfwit muscle football under Tony.

Back
Top Bottom