Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Needs to do all he can to secure 5th.

Prayer might be wise and so might 3 points. 6 guarantees it. I suspect 4 will do it, given the fixtures that remain.

The problem is that it's hard to see where those points come from right now.

I enjoyed the press conference from yesterday, reassuring to hear him open up about our direction and the scale of the challenge.

View: https://youtu.be/Vs40ya-Obik?si=cKF_riwM6vhER8Hc

I think some of us underestimated how much work needs to be done to break away from the deeply ingrained loser mentality of the club. Ange’s challenge isn’t just to win games but it’s to completely change the nature of Tottenham. To go from losers to winners. Much more esteemed managers than Ange have failed to achieve that but it does seem like there is a willingness from Levy to rebuild the entire football operation.

Doesn’t mean we have to accept the shite being served up at the moment but we should always remember where we were the last few years. We went out of Europe against Zagreb whose manager was in prison, from 2-0 up. We couldn’t score a goal against Sheffield United’s reserves in the FA Cup. We have lost 8 FA cup semis in a row. The recent defeats are nothing remarkable when you look at just how bad we’ve been since the CL final. Ange has to be given time to change the club.

Good post. The final line is worthy of consideration. Ange is just one part of a long chain towards that boardroom.

Thats the boardroom that, without any doubt, see themselves as successful already. They have everything they want. What do they change which helps Ange ? More money, more time, more…I don’t know?

but I do not see a way out of it any more as it’s simply not about the football club, that’s what enables everything else, it’s not everything else enabling the football.

The same business model will remain as it is until such time that revenue dips to a point where it really affects the money people. The horrible truth is that it’s absolutely fine for the current levels to remain. A little bit more, a little bit less, but essentially, the status quo is the balance between it all.

At one point, for likely 100 years, our club was run to try to win, with only a few getting rich. For 40 years it’s run to compete and make a lot more people wealthy (not rich - different things) Compete to us fans is trying to beat Liverpool tomorrow. At the board room I suspect compete means just being in the league year on year and maximising revenue across the various streams.

Sorry, long post in reply…but Ange is a nice man, working in an environment where dreams are too expensive.

Good post. The final line is worthy of consideration. Ange is just one part of a long chain towards that boardroom.

Thats the boardroom that, without any doubt, see themselves as successful already. They have everything they want. What do they change which helps Ange ? More money, more time, more…I don’t know?

but I do not see a way out of it any more as it’s simply not about the football club, that’s what enables everything else, it’s not everything else enabling the football.

The same business model will remain as it is until such time that revenue dips to a point where it really affects the money people. The horrible truth is that it’s absolutely fine for the current levels to remain. A little bit more, a little bit less, but essentially, the status quo is the balance between it all.

At one point, for likely 100 years, our club was run to try to win, with only a few getting rich. For 40 years it’s run to compete and make a lot more people wealthy (not rich - different things) Compete to us fans is trying to beat Liverpool tomorrow. At the board room I suspect compete means just being in the league year on year and maximising revenue across the various streams.

Sorry, long post in reply…but Ange is a nice man, working in an environment where dreams are too expensive.
I think many of us have thought the same about ENIC.
They do believe they are a success, and probably can't see what all the fuss about success is all about.
Nothing really is going to change whilst they remain in charge, success for them is measured by, cash flow and real estate.
They are not football people, but in fairness levy did say years ago that, they invested purely for financial gain and nothing has changed there.

People like Mason and Jedinak need to be let go, loser players equal loser coaches. We need experienced winners on and off the pitch

I think Ange has realised we have an ingrained loser mentality in this club and he has a bigger job on his hands than originally thought

I’m with him all the way, he needs time and backing and he’ll get us there
Yes we need experienced winners on the coaching staff, let’s get Gerrard and Lampard in 😂😂

His later comments should see him removed. Throwing players under the bus and vowing to never change.

What an arrogant prick
Time will tell how, those comments will work out for him.
When Conte called out the players, it was the end of him, although everything he said was bang on the money.
If this is still happening next season, then I fear he is done for.

His later comments should see him removed. Throwing players under the bus and vowing to never change.

What an arrogant prick

Why, these are the exact type of comments made by Conte, Jose and Poch at different points in tenure. We are not a fucking charity, at some point we have to build an elite squad of players like City, like Woolwich that can compete regularly and make a culture that is ruthless and accepts nothing less than success.

Some players like Romero and VDV are of the level to do that, others are not. The culture of the club is 4-8th and no cups, it’s easy street. That has to go and the players have to understand they are not at a holiday camp, they are paid huge sums of money to get to the max level.

Time will tell how, those comments will work out for him.
When Conte called out the players, it was the end of him, although everything he said was bang on the money.
If this is still happening next season, then I fear he is done for.
There's a lot the far prick could do. Train to defend corners better, have a plan b, stop veung so fucking predictable.

All things he can do.

Why, these are the exact type of comments made by Conte, Jose and Poch at different points in tenure. We are not a fucking charity, at some point we have to build an elite squad of players like City, like Woolwich that can compete regularly and make a culture that is ruthless and accepts nothing less than success.

Some players like Romero and VDV are of the level to do that, others are not. The culture of the club is 4-8th and no cups, it’s easy street. That has to go and the players have to understand they are not at a holiday camp, they are paid huge sums of money to get to the max level.
They all fucking cry about no trophies though, don’t they. But hide when it gets tough.

Are we still claiming the centre halves as a success when the goals against yally won't be much different drom last year when Sanchez and Dier were regulars?

Are we still claiming the centre halves as a success when the goals against yally won't be much different drom last year when Sanchez and Dier were regulars?

Most goals against have little to do with Romero and VDV, we play high and our forwards and some of our midfielders are shit at pressing leaving constant counter attacking opportunities. I very much doubt Ange or any in the club are looking at Romero and VDV and saying ‘that’s the issue’.

I def think Ange comes over as a good bloke, and he does I believe truly want to be here and wants the challenge, unlike Conte. I think it's dawned on him how big this job is though and I just don't know if he's the guy to unpick it, unfortunately I can see that scenario you say unfolding. Jury's out for me, I like him and want time to succeed though, it is (mostly) better than watching the halfwit muscle football under Tony.
He even said in that press conference himself that he will essentially die on this hill playing the football he wants as it has "worked my entire career" but then he also said himself "but the premier league might be too big of a jump, who knows mate."

If he requires Levy to gut the team and rebuild it for this style to work I think he might be in for a shock tbh.

Like I said before, Levy wouldn't back Poch after a CL final, Conte or Jose with rebuilds; what makes Ange believe he will get backed? Especially after recent form?

Last edited:
I think some of us underestimated how much work needs to be done to break away from the deeply ingrained loser mentality of the club.
Nah I don’t buy this. You know what’s the difference between Tottenham and clubs like Man City or prime Liverpool? Elite players, not mentality shit. He can change whatever culture he wants, as long as we have only decent players, we won’t win shit.

This is why Man Utd have been struggling for years. They didn’t lose their “winning mentality” since Ferguson left, they’ve assembled unbalanced teams made of overrated players.

I don’t mind the comments. He’s only repeating what almost all of us say. And, at the very least, it should move things along.

That said, if you do talk like that, you have no choice but to deliver. You can’t call everyone else out but then give yourself leeway.

Not that I think he’s like that.

Also, I don’t care about your principles. Sort out set pieces.

He even said in that press conference himself that he will essentially die on this hill playing the football he wants as it has "worked my entire career" but then he also said himself "but the premier league might be too big of a jump, who knows mate"

If he requires Levy to gut the team and rebuild it for this style to work I think he might be in for a shock tbh.

Like I said before, he wouldn't back Poch after a CL final, Conte or Jose with rebuilds, what makes him believe he will get backed? Especially after recent form?

Again if we never truly back a manager then forget ever winning a cup or challenging. 4-8th will be where we are, easy street for the players and Levy.

He even said in that press conference himself that he will essentially die on this hill playing the football he wants as it has "worked my entire career" but then he also said himself "but the premier league might be too big of a jump, who knows mate"

Like I said before, he wouldn't back Poch after a CL final, Conte or Jose with rebuilds, what makes him believe he will get backed? Especially after recent form?
When the dressing room tried a bit of player power Daniel backed Poch to be fair. Some players that cost the club a lot of money were moved on.

There's a lot the far prick could do. Train to defend corners better, have a plan b, stop veung so fucking predictable.

All things he can do.
I agree mate, it's on him and the players, it's been shit no hiding from it.
No clean sheets for months, tells the story, it isn't good enough and they need to do better.
Too many players are hiding, and have been missing for months.

Back
Top Bottom