Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I haven't turned on him.
I just ask the questions others don't.

Like why is it ok to get utterly twatted when he's in charge, and spend large portions of games barely having a sniff of goal, but this is ok? Why?
There's some weird brainwashing shit going on I swear.
100% spot on. It's bizarre to see the lengths people are going to, just to deny what is plainly there to see.

The genius who invented inverted fullbacks and playing the highest of high lines no matter what is seemingly immune to any sort of criticism, no matter the score lines and no matter the results.

There are morons in this thread trying to argue for J-League and A-League level coaches being the same level as Prem coaches just to defend the manager.

It's this level of cowardice and sycophancy that keeps the club where it is because those in charge know they only have to throw a bone every so often to keep the masses entertained and sated.

Never mind the fact that there's a real possibility that we spent years better than the scum down the road only for it to count for fuck all in terms of trophies and within just 2 years the gap between us is night and day, we're now debating whether 5th - 7th is a good finish, whether being twatted 4's and 3's is acceptable as long as we're "entertained" despite only playing 1 game a week all season whereas they're going for titles.

It absolutely made sense to sack both of them when we did. Performances were absolutely diabolical and we have heard from the players that the atmosphere behind the scenes was horrendous. It was impossible to continue.

Not having a better caretaker than Mason (who wasn't that bad) is a different problem.
I disagree. Mason looked lost like an anxious school kid in the cup final, Pep couldn't believe his luck. I don't care whether it is Jol, Poch, Mourinho, or Conte, Levy doesn't let his managers last until the end of the season. It's actually surprising Ange will last.

Mourinho and Conte both left because of style of play and demeanour more than actual results. I would have waited until the end of the season to do it, especially if there was no one lined up.

Yes and no.

Proven doesn't = quality.

Proven is the reason Sam Allardyce and Sean Dyche will always get work in the premier league. They'd also need to prove themselves as being capable in the J League if they went there because neither of them has ever proven they can work in another country or culture.

Tried and tested is for the sure the reason why more managers haven't come to the Prem from outside Europe but it doesn't mean they aren't good.

Before Mitoma there wasn't really that talent pathway for players. Not because there were never good enough players but because nobody had blazed a trail yet.

You're arguing against a general rule of life that the best people at their profession are rated the best because they test themselves at that level, not just in football but look at every working profession in the world - you're trying to make an argument that's just plain wrong.

Are you bored or something?

You're arguing against a general rule of life that the best people at their profession are rated the best because they test themselves at that level, not just in football but look at every working profession in the world - you're trying to make an argument that's just plain wrong.

Are you bored or something?

No, I'm not wrong.

You are missing the point. It's a logical fallacy to say that the quality of coaching is lower in another country's league is lower because the quality of the league is lower.

It's a lazy assumption based on ignorance.

That's not to say Ange doesn't need to prove himself in the premier league. They aren't the same thing.

100% spot on. It's bizarre to see the lengths people are going to, just to deny what is plainly there to see.

The genius who invented inverted fullbacks and playing the highest of high lines no matter what is seemingly immune to any sort of criticism, no matter the score lines and no matter the results.

There are morons in this thread trying to argue for J-League and A-League level coaches being the same level as Prem coaches just to defend the manager.

It's this level of cowardice and sycophancy that keeps the club where it is because those in charge know they only have to throw a bone every so often to keep the masses entertained and sated.

Never mind the fact that there's a real possibility that we spent years better than the scum down the road only for it to count for fuck all in terms of trophies and within just 2 years the gap between us is night and day, we're now debating whether 5th - 7th is a good finish, whether being twatted 4's and 3's is acceptable as long as we're "entertained" despite only playing 1 game a week all season whereas they're going for titles.

The stupidest post I've seen today (and there's been a few).

I'm going to tell you this once. Just once. Then I'm going to block your stupid ass.

We will NOT win anything...EVER...if we get rid of managers after one fucking season. What were you expecting? For Ange to come in and win everything in sight in season one, after the fucking shambles we were under Conte?

Fuck off. If you don't have the stomach or patience to support Ange whilst we try and build something then fuck off and go be a plastic chav or city supporter.

There's no need to reply and waste yours / mine / anyone else's time coz my patience with "fans" like you has worn out.

Anyone else who wants to jettison Ange after one season - just own up so I can put your stupid asses on ignore too.

Rather read an echo chamber forum than waste anymore of my precious time reading some of the bilge you pretend fans post.

Want success? We have to build towards it, simple as that. We can NOT simply get rid of any manager who doesn't win anything in their first fucking season. It has to stop, and that's a fucking fact.

Now shut up. Blocked.

Christ on a fucking bike.

No, I'm not wrong.

You are missing the point. It's a logical fallacy to say that the quality of coaching is lower in another country's league is lower because the quality of the league is lower.

It's a lazy assumption based on ignorance.

That's not to say Ange doesn't need to prove himself in the premier league. They aren't the same thing.

I can't be arsed 🤦‍♀️

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

Hear Hear.

There's no reason to respect any 'fan' whose turned on Ange at this stage.
Like we'll win anything if we keep on sacking managers after one season :harrylol::harrylol:

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who wants Ange out now isn't a spurs fan because they clearly want to do harm to our club. Not up for debate either.
Yea it’s daft wanting him out after one season. Even if his job was purely just results on the pitch, you’d at least let him have another window to patch up some of the holes in his system.

But it’s not just been about results on the pitch. He’s had to effect cultural change too, after coming into a club that was demoralised, with fans jaded, cynical and traumatised. He got Levy to sign players early in the January window. He’s changing the way the club thinks about success. It’s not going to be about the CL in the short term. He’s bringing in players that are teenagers and in their early 20s. He’s preparing things for the future. Sack him now for what? For another manager to come in and start all over again. Hold your fucking nerve you weak cunts.

Wow! This is a top, top post
Fucking nailed it from first sentence to the last.
Love the bit about cowardice and sycophancy preventing this club moving forward and winning. . Couldn’t have worded it better myself.
Just like Conte called it.

Take a bow, son......Take a bow!

giphy.gif

Only a loser could disagree

Last edited:
Some big news just coming through...

Pep Guardiola to step down as Manchester City manager at end of season​

By Mandeep Sanghera and Timothy AbrahamBBC Sport

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola is to step down from the role at the end of the season, saying he wishes to "prove himself against the best of the best" by moving to the J-League .

Guardiola was appointed in 2016 and his contract was due to run until 2025.
He won the Champions League in 2023.

"I told the club already in November," said 53-year-old Guardiola, who has announced his decision with his side third in the Premier League and through to the FA Cup Final.

"I can understand that it's a shock for a lot of people in this moment, when you hear it for the first time, but obviously I can explain it - or at least try to explain it.

"I love absolutely everything about this club, I love everything about the city, I love everything about our supporters, I love the team, I love the staff. I love everything. But that I still take this decision shows you that I am convinced it is the one I have to take.

"It is that I am desperate to prove my abilities beyond all doubt, you people all think the EPL or Champions League are the pinnacle of this sport, but the J-League is where it's really at, failing that I guess I'l try the A-League and work my way up. I have no problem now, obviously, I knew it already for longer that I will have to announce it at one point, but I am absolutely fine now. I know that I could win this league with my eyes shut, I'll go for one more hollow tin pot and then it's onward to real glory!"

Love the bit about cowardice and sycophancy preventing this club moving forward and winning. . Couldn’t have worded it better myself.
Just like Conte called it.

Take a bow, son......Take a bow!

giphy.gif
Actual cult followers who can't handle any sort of criticism of the manager. Any criticism means you're being "disloyal" or want trebles every season or want the club to fail apparently, bizarre behaviour.

Comedy or tragedy, it's difficult to tell.

Yea it’s daft wanting him out after one season. Even if his job was purely just results on the pitch, you’d at least let him have another window to patch up some of the holes in his system.

But it’s not just been about results on the pitch. He’s had to effect cultural change too, after coming into a club that was demoralised, with fans jaded, cynical and traumatised. He got Levy to sign players early in the January window. He’s changing the way the club thinks about success. It’s not going to be about the CL in the short term. He’s bringing in players that are teenagers and in their early 20s. He’s preparing things for the future. Sack him now for what? For another manager to come in and start all over again. Hold your fucking nerve you weak cunts.

Love the bit about some of our fans being weak cunts and needing to hold their nerve. Couldn’t have worded it better myself.

Take a bow, son, take a bow.

giphy.gif

Yea it’s daft wanting him out after one season.
He’s preparing things for the future. Sack him now for what? For another manager to come in and start all over again. Hold your fucking nerve you weak cunts.
Who said he should be sacked? All I've seen is a few posters being critical of recent performances and maybe questioning the perceived magnitude of his past achievements.
Why is this such an issue for so many of you?

Actual cult followers who can't handle any sort of criticism of the manager. Any criticism means you're being "disloyal" or want trebles every season or want the club to fail apparently, bizarre behaviour.

Comedy or tragedy, it's difficult to tell.

Welcome to 'The Fighting Cock' . . :harrylol:

Who said he should be sacked? All I've seen is a few posters being critical of recent performances and maybe questioning the perceived magnitude of his past achievements.
Why is this such an issue for so many of you?
It's classic cultish behaviour, got nothing to say in response so it's accusations of wanting him sacked, wanting trebles every season, J-League and A-League coaches are as good as Prem coaches, it'd be funny if it wasn't so embarrassing.

Apparently to give someone time means to not criticise at all even when the exact same system and tactics are trotted out week after week, (only once a week mind), with no change no matter what, even when the team gets battered, you should be thankful that we can see the fullbacks in behind the centre forward with the 2 centre backs marking an entire half by themselves.

The first rule of Angeism is thou shall not speak ill of the one true Ange no matter what.

Not sure why the internet insists both things can't be true. Only a complete fool would want Ange Postecoglou replaced this close season. But there's 100% room for a reasoned critique of some of his decisions. He has NOT been flaw less, and the club as per fucking normal did NOT give him the required depth to do more than par for his first season ( never change Daniel) par for me is a Ueffa cup place which is what we will get.

Massive window coming. Rwb and Lwb cover needed. Left centerback cover needed, centermidfeild alternative vital, Centerforward upgrade needed. Let's watch ENIC fail again.....

Oh and a postscript on the critique. I never fully seen the logic on his 'Buy-in theory' prehaps someone can clarify. Watching Tuchel get a serviceable performance from Eric this season. The idea you don't adjust the system to enable complete buy-in from the squad.... Refusing to play slightly deeper to accommodate a lack of pace at centerback for example or less able ball carrying from say Hojbjerg. This sounds like laziness or worse religion. Genuinely don't fully buy your players can't be bright enough to take on board adjustment for a specific set of circumstances, unless you cant be bothered to coach the adjustments.?🤔

Last edited:
Not sure why the internet insists both things can't be true. Only a complete fool would want Ange Postecoglou replaced this close season. But there's 100% room for a reasoned critique of some of his decisions. He has NOT been flaw less, and the club as per fucking normal did NOT give him the required depth to do more than par for his first season ( never change Daniel) par for me is a Ueffa cup place which is what we will get.

Massive window coming. Rwb and Lwb cover needed. Left centerback cover needed, centermidfeild alternative vital, Centerforward upgrade needed. Let's watch ENIC fail again.....

And this is fair enough. Of course there's room for improvement, and hopefully that continues. I don't think ANYONE has said this season has been flawless.

But I'm not having anyone try and claim we've not progressed this season from last season.

As for a 'par' season, it's an improvement on last season (assuming we still reach europe which we should) so for season one, that's fine with me.

We need to continue to see progression next year, and that will only happen if that bald lizard backs him/the club in the summer window.

Who are the most successful PL era managers?

Ferguson - came from the 80's which may as well be the 1800's really.
Wenger - Seem to recall that he had Monaco punching above their weight but I guess not much elite level experience.
Mourinho - hard to say. Portuguese league is weak but he won the CL.
Klopp - top class
Pep - top class

Maybe I'm a little dehydrated but I'm struggling to think of anyone else I'd class as properly successful in the PL?
I wouldn't put Conte there because he won 1 title then fucked off with them and didn't get the chance to do anything with us.

Pep was not top class before he got given a top Job at barca.

But yeah, all you've done is shown that managers can succeed regardless of where they have come from and who they have cut their cloth against.

The only way to measure quality is to manage at that level.

It's like saying that the players in lower leagues are the same as the ones in the Prem, the reason why those players play at a higher level is mainly to do with mentality and consistency.

It's the same for managers, they need to prove themselves first in the top leagues.
So at this moment in time I’d say Ange is proving himself just now. In the so called biggest league in the world he’s 5th. In his first season in the top league,rebuilding a shit show of a squad,fan base totally against the club,lost the best goal scorer we’ve ever had he’s brought stability,a genuine happiness and togetherness amongst the squad,got the majority of the fans back onside and there’s a real plan in place to move forward,improve and be successful. All of that in his first season is decent. He’s not a magician. What he said at the beginning has pretty much happened in terms of building something with bumps in the road but trying to get them to play a different style overnight. Yes it can be frustrating at times but no club has transformed over night so why our supporters expect it to is delusional.

So at this moment in time I’d say Ange is proving himself just now. In the so called biggest league in the world he’s 5th. In his first season in the top league,rebuilding a shit show of a squad,fan base totally against the club,lost the best goal scorer we’ve ever had he’s brought stability,a genuine happiness and togetherness amongst the squad,got the majority of the fans back onside and there’s a real plan in place to move forward,improve and be successful. All of that in his first season is decent. He’s not a magician. What he said at the beginning has pretty much happened in terms of building something with bumps in the road but trying to get them to play a different style overnight. Yes it can be frustrating at times but no club has transformed over night so why our supporters expect it to is delusional.

Yes he is proving himself but I'm not having this nonsense that other coaches in lesser league are equal to Premier League managers.

Some big news just coming through...

Pep Guardiola to step down as Manchester City manager at end of season​

By Mandeep Sanghera and Timothy AbrahamBBC Sport

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola is to step down from the role at the end of the season, saying he wishes to "prove himself against the best of the best" by moving to the J-League .

Guardiola was appointed in 2016 and his contract was due to run until 2025.
He won the Champions League in 2023.

"I told the club already in November," said 53-year-old Guardiola, who has announced his decision with his side third in the Premier League and through to the FA Cup Final.

"I can understand that it's a shock for a lot of people in this moment, when you hear it for the first time, but obviously I can explain it - or at least try to explain it.

"I love absolutely everything about this club, I love everything about the city, I love everything about our supporters, I love the team, I love the staff. I love everything. But that I still take this decision shows you that I am convinced it is the one I have to take.

"It is that I am desperate to prove my abilities beyond all doubt, you people all think the EPL or Champions League are the pinnacle of this sport, but the J-League is where it's really at, failing that I guess I'l try the A-League and work my way up. I have no problem now, obviously, I knew it already for longer that I will have to announce it at one point, but I am absolutely fine now. I know that I could win this league with my eyes shut, I'll go for one more hollow tin pot and then it's onward to real glory!"

The signs have been there that’s he’s been preparing for some sort of Pokémon battle in Japan.

A4FD56C3B522037C52846CCEF30EE7BC1D996D1C

Back
Top Bottom