Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm thinking it's about time we adopt a multi club ownership model

Spurs + Botswana meat commission

We'd be unstoppable

Maybe shadyfixx could have a word in uncle Dan's ear

rent-free.png

We're a more forgiving bunch if the football is entertaining. Getting beat and playing defensive crap football is hard to take.
I was thoroughly entertained when we got battered by Fulham and Newcastle. I was off my seat cheering when Wolves came and took the points. I was practically having orgasms for 90 minutes as we struggled to score against Sheff United and 9 man Liverpool.

I just don't get. What are people looking at that I'm missing most weeks?

I was thoroughly entertained when we got battered by Fulham and Newcastle. I was off my seat cheering when Wolves came and took the points. I was practically having orgasms for 90 minutes as we struggled to score against Sheff United and 9 man Liverpool.

I just don't get. What are people looking at that I'm missing most weeks?

Is it not possible to have mixed feelings about it. I’m with you, esp the performances since Xmas, there is cause for concern.

However, it’s also possible to see the evolution of the team’s style of play to a much more attacking one - something we’ve all yearned for.

Personally, i think the next 6 games are crucial for Ange/Ange-ball and the trajectory of the club next season. If we get more of the same - naïve goals conceded, inability for the ball to ‘stick’ with our front 3, a porous midfield, bullied at set pieces - then the manager could be in for a tough time. Esp with the time he has had on the training ground. Should he be able to return to something close to the formula we took into the first half of the season, with lots of chances created and the ability to manage games better, then he’ll have lifted us the fans, the team and the club.

Is it not possible to have mixed feelings about it. I’m with you, esp the performances since Xmas, there is cause for concern.

However, it’s also possible to see the evolution of the team’s style of play to a much more attacking one - something we’ve all yearned for.

Personally, i think the next 6 games are crucial for Ange/Ange-ball and the trajectory of the club next season. If we get more of the same - naïve goals conceded, inability for the ball to ‘stick’ with our front 3, a porous midfield, bullied at set pieces - then the manager could be in for a tough time. Esp with the time he has had on the training ground. Should he be able to return to something close to the formula we took into the first half of the season, with lots of chances created and the ability to manage games better, then he’ll have lifted us the fans, the team and the club.
I think people are confusing possession with attack.
I think that's what bothers me most of the time.

Coaches in the Prem manage players and games at a higher level, that's why they're in the Prem - same instance for any top profession, you have to be amongst the best to be the best.

And at the highest level be honest being a coach isn't purely just about coaching, you need to manage all facets, the players, the media, the owners, your back room staff, fans expectations, managing schedules etc...couple these with doing the actual job on the training pitch then your job becomes 100x more difficult.

The pressures and expectations of PL coaches are on a completey different planet compared to the SPL coaches.

Fair.

Those still things are still required in the J League and likely the A League. J League is the most important sports competition in Japan.

Tbh I'm not really talking so much about Celtic because that is one of 2 clubs that win every year,

That’s complete fucking bullshit and completely ignores the standard of coaching that exists in the top European leagues compared to Scotland or Japan. As if the coaches in these countries are as good as the coaches you’re up against here.

Honestly one of the worst takes people come up with on here. He was a serial winner there so he would be here. Yeah, that’s why you see so many top European clubs recruiting serial winners from the A League. FFS.

Ange is a good coach but he’s not proven to win a thing when up against other elite coaches. He hasn’t even got us to a quarter final yet and we’ve never come close to challenging for the league. We’ve had one game a week to contend with all bloody season.

Disagree. Some of the most successful
managers in prem league history didn't really test themselves against elite coaches before coming here, or even before being given a chance to prove themselves at the top levels where they started their career.

Fair.

Those still things are still required in the J League and likely the A League. J League is the most important sports competition in Japan.

Tbh I'm not really talking so much about Celtic because that is one of 2 clubs that win every year,

Both leagues the level is way off the Premier League.

Well said. Not everything has to binary and totally agree that i think the next 6 games will tell us a lot. Like it or not if we bomb in those he's going to be under pressure next season if we dont start well. Equally if we get a statement win or 2 in those next games it changes the perception even if we do ultimately finish 5th.

Disagree. Some of the most successful
managers in prem league history didn't really test themselves against elite coaches before coming here, or even before being given a chance to prove themselves at the top levels where they started their career.
Who are the most successful PL era managers?

Ferguson - came from the 80's which may as well be the 1800's really.
Wenger - Seem to recall that he had Monaco punching above their weight but I guess not much elite level experience.
Mourinho - hard to say. Portuguese league is weak but he won the CL.
Klopp - top class
Pep - top class

Maybe I'm a little dehydrated but I'm struggling to think of anyone else I'd class as properly successful in the PL?
I wouldn't put Conte there because he won 1 title then fucked off with them and didn't get the chance to do anything with us.

Well said. Not everything has to binary and totally agree that i think the next 6 games will tell us a lot. Like it or not if we bomb in those he's going to be under pressure next season if we dont start well. Equally if we get a statement win or 2 in those next games it changes the perception even if we do ultimately finish 5th.

At the moment you (and others) are seeing me as the one being binary in this, but the truth is, most others are also being binary - just in the opposite direction.
I actually think I'm being more reasonable by saying that it isn't all positive stuff, it isn't much of a progression and it it isn't always entertaining.
It doesn't mean I think it's all negative all boring, a regression etc. I can just see fairly obvious weaknesses in the arguments for Ange that people keep using.

Obviously. Doesn't mean the quality of the coaches is lower

The only way to measure quality is to manage at that level.

It's like saying that the players in lower leagues are the same as the ones in the Prem, the reason why those players play at a higher level is mainly to do with mentality and consistency.

It's the same for managers, they need to prove themselves first in the top leagues.

At the moment you (and others) are seeing me as the one being binary in this, but the truth is, most others are also being binary - just in the opposite direction.
I actually think I'm being more reasonable by saying that it isn't all positive stuff, it isn't much of a progression and it it isn't always entertaining.
It doesn't mean I think it's all negative all boring, a regression etc. I can just see fairly obvious weaknesses in the arguments for Ange that people keep using.
Not at all just you, i'd also apply it to people that think everything is going blindingly well. Said before i think its pretty dissapointing not getting 4th given our lack of fixtures and the way the season has panned out and i have concerns about our play over the last few months but probably nothing a win or 2 against decent sides in the next few games wouldnt allay.

I'm sitting on the fence at the moment, its his first season, first manager in 10 years that couldnt use Kane as his get out and a big turnover of players. It has a similar feel to Pochs first season or the periods when Jol and Redknapp took over. Inconsistant and needing better players. But i think we'll only really know more in October/November.

Coaches in the Prem manage players and games at a higher level, that's why they're in the Prem - same instance for any top profession, you have to be amongst the best to be the best.

And at the highest level be honest being a coach isn't purely just about coaching, you need to manage all facets, the players, the media, the owners, your back room staff, fans expectations, managing schedules etc...couple these with doing the actual job on the training pitch then your job becomes 100x more difficult.

The pressures and expectations of PL coaches are on a completey different planet compared to the SPL coaches.

1c6943c372187ed186416b895f4eb06c.gif

The only way to measure quality is to manage at that level.

It's like saying that the players in lower leagues are the same as the ones in the Prem, the reason why those players play at a higher level is mainly to do with mentality and consistency.

It's the same for managers, they need to prove themselves first in the top leagues.

Yes and no.

Proven doesn't = quality.

Proven is the reason Sam Allardyce and Sean Dyche will always get work in the premier league. They'd also need to prove themselves as being capable in the J League if they went there because neither of them has ever proven they can work in another country or culture.

Tried and tested is for the sure the reason why more managers haven't come to the Prem from outside Europe but it doesn't mean they aren't good.

Before Mitoma there wasn't really that talent pathway for players. Not because there were never good enough players but because nobody had blazed a trail yet.

Back
Top Bottom