Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Earlier in the season, when we were losing a game or struggling to break a team down, he convinced me that he was calm and knew that if we kept playing to the system, that we would end up winning the game, and most of the time we did.
But now I'm not so sure, recently when things aren't going so well in games, he still doesn't seem to react, either with subs or trying to motivate or change things from the touchline.

Earlier in the season, when we were losing a game or struggling to break a team down, he convinced me that he was calm and knew that if we kept playing to the system, that we would end up winning the game, and most of the time we did.
But now I'm not so sure, recently when things aren't going so well in games, he still doesn't seem to react, either with subs or trying to motivate or change things from the touchline.

He obviously doesn’t trust the bench players and relies on his core starters, but when it’s as bad as it was yesterday sometimes you just have to drag someone off and put someone on with a point to prove. Sarr was struggling so badly it’s impossible for Benta or PEH to be worse.

Yep lots of warming up for ange out calls already . Where as before the start many was saying this is just a season to lay down some foundations, to see green shoots as opposed to last seasons football....and no the football even at its worst is nothing like the routine no shots on target stuff seen under conte and santo before him

The club has been stagnation and going backward ever since 2019, it's gonna take time to get the mentality right, and more young players with the right components

Nothing more spursy about the club than a section of the clown college fans really
I'd say stagnation since around 2017 but we had a great team that managed to carry us through a couple more years but it wasnt refreshed as it should have been and inevitably age, loss of form and injuries caught up with us.

The problem is we have part of the fanbase that are so worn down by Levy they wont accept anything good can happen under his watch so the likes of Ange, Johnson, Kulusevski or whoever just become part of the general pile on. They may or may not be good enough over time, the first 2 probably need to be judged more by around November next season but are they really the issue at the club overall?

I have total sympathy with the anti Levy sentiment, said in the match thread its just a perpetual battle for 4th with us, 4th is a good season, 7th or 8th a bad season. I just dont see that being any different in 12 months or going forward further despite an improvement this year. Thats the real issue at this club but i think you have to seperate the individuals managing and playing to the way we're run and the ambition from the boardroom.

He obviously doesn’t trust the bench players and relies on his core starters, but when it’s as bad as it was yesterday sometimes you just have to drag someone off and put someone on with a point to prove. Sarr was struggling so badly it’s impossible for Benta or PEH to be worse.
Also the front 3 weren't playing well last night, so should've changed them earlier, there were alternatives on the bench, maybe not good enough either, but you would hope they could've found at least 1 goal between 5/6 forwards!

When we lost against Wolves etc, I wasn't angry, I was pissed off like anyone defeat. Yesterday and still today I am angry. To just stand there watching us getting battered, whilst we had the strongest bench we've had for years, was just inexcusable.
Half time should have seen a change of tactics and change of personnel.
It was like he only realised this when their disallowed 4th goal went in. I just hope this was an exception.
Does he have any other tactics ? . We only play one way according to him. I am halfway through a deep dive on Spursplay and counted the times our high line left us exposed to attacks including the goal. It's at least 8 occasions.

Last edited:
Also the front 3 weren't playing well last night, so should've changed them earlier, there were alternatives on the bench, maybe not good enough either, but you would hope they could've found at least 1 goal between 5/6 forwards!
I am interested in the thoughts on Vicario's positioning for the first goal.He went to come out, then stopped and was a fair way off his line. Could he have done better ? I'm not sure.

This wasn't a 90s Milan back line they were playing against.

Our forwards created chances and should have taken them. The criticism should be on the players, not the manager.
when you have son and johnson in the front 3 you are already conceding the physical battle. neither of them have the smarts to overpower that loss. you can get away with one of them maybe as they do offer pace and in sons case he offers finishing with both feet. but in this league you cant have a side with pussys all over it or you will get smashed. seen it enough times now. at least richy gives us that dog fight.

kulu is very frustrating without a target in the box to hit too. when you have son as striker you kill the weapon of crosses.

We are underperforming a LOT given the players we have now.
it feels a little like conte but at the other end of the pitch. with conte he packed out the defence which meant we was seeing more shit out there. now we are playing with 3 up top when thats our weakest area. on paper we have the midfield options to really dominate a game...surely that should mean thats where the focus should be and we should be midfield focused.

werner isnt good enough
kulu is good on his day but that seems to be few and far between
son is good on his day against certain oppo
richy gives us much needed dog fight but technically isnt good enough
johnson offers pace but is a fairy with it so is not much use and looks like a waste of 50m

why waste 3 spots on that lot? this squad would work better with a new system that focuses on dominating from the midfield.

its very easy to play against a front 3 we can muster up because the wide players dont even offer quality delivery when you do have rich in the number 9. get physical with son and johnson and they melt, werner you dont have to worry about as he cant hit a barn door. rich doesnt even get the crosses he needs to thrive so hes not a worry, and kulu is cutting a very frustrating figure and has for a long time now....its a cake walk playing against any combo of them.

with a couple of melts in the front 3 you also weaken yourself defensively as they dont want to get into the trenches. its easy for teams to play out when they know they aint going to get clattered. at least rich will smash into someone and not allow them to just play out with ease.

Last edited:
Our defensive shape sucks. Like to the point where I wonder what our defensive coaches are doing. We rely so heavily on Van de Ven’s recovery runs and Vicario’s shot stopping and have all season. When we don’t have those we have one of the worst defences in the league - 13th for xG against.

Other teams play high lines but they don’t have that space inside the fullback. Teams knock it in to those channels and there are gaping holes to find. Against Fulham it was pathetic, so many occasions where they had players in acres of space.

There’s lots to like about what Ange has done but the defensive shape needs work and it’s not about naivety or w/e. You can look at the midfield for it as well as far too many times where the defence are exposed and left with 1v1 duels.

That’s the next step I guess - as all the current top three have very strong defences. Liverpool/City especially always put up very strong numbers for expected goals against. They don’t just allow free shots on their goal at all.

93f.jpg

In all seriousness the rest defence is poor, he needs to tell either one full back to go into midfield so the other full back stays back or just have Bissouma/Bentancur or a proper no6 just sit and protect so in both scenarios you make a 3.

Unfortunately we have a mixture of both, just pure vibes going forward and hope that some freak defending or GKing from VdV and Vicario saves up, it's not sustainable with these players.

Maybe it might work when we have better technicians in our forward position so that they are so potent when the get the ball and keep the ball better but even then it's not realistic, something has to change and I'll be real Ange keeps preaching about improving and growing as a club but he needs to improve as well, I'm sure he will, I don't believe he's that stubborn enough not to change things.

A lot of you are now coming round to what I was writing before Christmas when I was shouted down
yesterday Its not the managers fault the players couldn't pass to each other or score tap-ins
but what is on him is not changing at 2-0, it was clear many of the players were off it (for some reason)

Save your back-slapping.....

Ange has made changes that positively effect the outcome of the game plenty of times this season.

Nah he was at fault today, waited way too long to make changes. Even in the first half we weren't able to do much.

That being said I'm not worried long term, I think it was just one of those days.

Of course he can be questioned, I'm talking about the trolls who only pop up when we lose with takes like

"He's a fraud"
"Go back to Celtic"

And let's be real he was at fault as much as the players, you're right one of those days.

City away the big one. Bringing on Hojbjerg to play double pivot and pushing Lo Celso into the 10. Pretty much turned the game in our favour.

Emerson coming on for Davies against Palace away to nullify their aerial threat that had been causing us problems in the first half.

Going to a back five against Luton in the second half as they were getting a fair bit of joy between Romero and Porro. We brought Emerson on to play RCB.

Those are tactical switches I can remember off the top of my head, just because I was impressed with those most. Johnson and Hojbjerg coming on against Brentford allowed us abit more control and to be far more direct than the passive first half too. But that was more just realising the personnel we had didn't suit. Same with Palace in the home fixture for that one.
The city one I remember but didn't Davies pick up a knock? I don't think he was doing it to nullify an aerial threat as they're like for like aerially.

Back
Top Bottom