Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Amazed there were a few in the match thread saying its the same as Mourinho and Conte...game of opinons and all that but fucking hell that is a hell of a take. Its not perfect, its way too chaotic a lot of the time and we lack control but to compare it to the last 4 years of boredom? Ageing teams clearly going nowhere with 2 managers going through the motions for their pay off. . This is the first season of a younger side and its surely exceeding expectations.
I'm not a big Postecoglou fan but I really like that under him Spurs win the games they should win. That hasn't always been the case in the past. Sometimes it looks a bit unfocused, but there is a plan, he does make adjustments, and it seems to come right in the end.

I'm not a big Postecoglou fan but I really like that under him Spurs win the games they should win. That hasn't always been the case in the past. Sometimes it looks a bit unfocused, but there is a plan, he does make adjustments, and it seems to come right in the end.
You lost me at "I'm not a big Postecoglou fan"

Surprised there aren't more in here praising Ange for last night. Aye, first half was really poor, but that happens. What matters is he was brave enough to make the changes required, alter the setup early enough to have an impact, and fire a rocket up the players' arses. This kind of management will win you 10+ extra points over a season.

So pleased to see him make a big change at HT - takes balls to realise and acknowledge when things arent working, and that change won the game. When Brentford made their subs it started to get a little hairy again but he will rewatch the whole thing and take some learning from it im sure.

When you think this is his FIRST season in the PL and he'd had to deal with :

* The club selling the best goalscorer it has had in the Premier League era
* Changing the captaincy for the first time in years
* An insane injury list
* Suspensions
* AFCON
* Asian Cup taking our single reliable goalscorer away
* Having to bed in multiple new players, including 3 new members of the back 5
* Getting the fans back onside after 4 years of shitty defensive / counter attacking football

...its quite an incredible achievement to be 4th at the moment. The amount of change and "spanners" hes had to deal with is ridiculous. This guy is the real deal, he wants to be here, hes not afraid to tell the media to fuck off, and he wants to win stuff. Its finally a pleasure to be Spurs again and its almost entirely down to him.

Last edited:
Surprised there aren't more in here praising Ange for last night. Aye, first half was really poor, but that happens. What matters is he was brave enough to make the changes required, alter the setup early enough to have an impact, and fire a rocket up the players' arses. This kind of management will win you 10+ extra points over a season.
Agreed. His changes and no doubt talk at HT won us the game.

What really concerns me is less the conceding goals (Udogie has been brilliant and is young), and more the fact we aren't penetrative enough, don't mix up our approach enough, and in the end, don't score enough goals vs our possession and control of games. Getting that part right, will take us from the battle for 3,4,5th to battle for the title material.

I'm inclined to agree that we need an elite right winger in the team.

So pleased to see him make a big change at HT - takes balls to realise and acknowledge when things arent working, and that change won the game. When Brentford made their subs it started to get a little hairy again but he will rewatch the whole thing and take some learning from it im sure.

When you think this is his FIRST season in the PL and he'd had to deal with :

* The club selling the best goalscorer it has had in the Premier League era
* Changing the captaincy for the first time in years
* An insane injury list
* Suspensions
* AFCON
* Asian Cup taking our single reliable goalscorer away
* Having to bed in multiple new players, including 3 new members of the back 5
* Getting the fans back onside after 4 years of shitty defensive / counter attacking football

...its quite an incredible achievement to be 4th at the moment. The amount of change and "spanners" hes had to deal with is ridiculous. This guy is the real deal, he wants to be here, hes not afraid to tell the media to fuck off, and he wants to win stuff. Its finally a pleasure to be Spurs again and its almost entirely down to him.
A-fucking-men!

This could have been a proper flushed turd of a season, but it's been a rollercoaster that I'm all-aboard for.

Agreed. His changes and no doubt talk at HT won us the game.

What really concerns me is less the conceding goals (Udogie has been brilliant and is young), and more the fact we aren't penetrative enough, don't mix up our approach enough, and in the end, don't score enough goals vs our possession and control of games. Getting that part right, will take us from the battle for 3,4,5th to battle for the title material.

I'm inclined to agree that we need an elite right winger in the team.
Kulu has great games now and again, but that fluffed chance when he was totally open on his right foot was incredible. He simply has to shoot there. He needs a good talking to about putting people through, too (I bit my cheek gnashing at him last night!).

He's got the tools, he's just not using them properly. If he can sort those issues, the I think he IS an elite winger.

We lost at home to Villa and Spam despite outplaying them, threw away 3 points at a very average Wolves, and got pretty well humped at a Brighton equally as ravaged by injuries as we were at the time...

The bit you do claim to like seems a pretty flawed view at this stage.

What specifically don't you connect with in his approach?
When he came in I was afraid he would be like Bielsa at Leeds. Come in, exceed expectations, play exciting football, people love his personality, then the league adjusts and the results fall off. To a much lesser extent now than when he was hired, that's still my concern. The best thing and the worst thing about a person is usually the same thing. Love his confidence, and it has created an air of excitement about Spurs. But is he so sure of himself and his system that he won't be able to make changes to it when we play the top teams and the best competitions? Finally, you can build a system based on outscoring the other side and get to top six if you have the talent and resources (Spurs do). But to get to top 4 and contend for the top spot you also have to manage games and stop the other side scoring. That is the question that still hasn't been answered. All that said, I was wrong about him when he was hired, I've been wrong all through the season, and with any luck I'll be wrong with him right through to when he wins it all with Spurs. :)

When he came in I was afraid he would be like Bielsa at Leeds. Come in, exceed expectations, play exciting football, people love his personality, then the league adjusts and the results fall off. To a much lesser extent now than when he was hired, that's still my concern. The best thing and the worst thing about a person is usually the same thing. Love his confidence, and it has created an air of excitement about Spurs. But is he so sure of himself and his system that he won't be able to make changes to it when we play the top teams and the best competitions? Finally, you can build a system based on outscoring the other side and get to top six if you have the talent and resources (Spurs do). But to get to top 4 and contend for the top spot you also have to manage games and stop the other side scoring. That is the question that still hasn't been answered. All that said, I was wrong about him when he was hired, I've been wrong all through the season, and with any luck I'll be wrong with him right through to when he wins it all with Spurs. :)
Fair play to you mate, I don’t share many of your concerns but it’s fantastic to see a well-balanced and articulated post regardless of whether I agree with the content or not.

Add in a dash of self-reflection and this is what fans forums are all about; good posts that cause healthy debate. 👍

Think thats all pretty valid. We do look very vunerable at times and good sides will exploit that. One thing i would say though is i think our 2 best performances this season were away at Woolwich and Man City.

Back
Top Bottom