Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Burn Him Adam Sandler GIF by Netflix Is a Joke
Genuinely thought this was Hojbjerg!!😂

You're a hard person to please. Do you really think another manager would have Spurs in a better position just now?

He's introducing a different style of football, intergrating new players and developing existing players, whilst making a decent attempt at winning the league.

After last season, and then losing Harry Kane and not replacing him, I would have thought most Spurs fans would be happy with a top four finish as a position to build on for next season.

Ok the top four finish isn't yet guaranteed, but it's looking quite possible.
We wanted "The Great Entertainers" back. That was the appellation we had back in the Glory, Glory years. One of the greatest quotes to come from that era came from Danny Blanchflower;

“The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It's nothing of the kind. The game is about glory. It is about doing things in style, with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom.”

Win, lose or draw, anyone who thinks we're not being entertained needs to have their bumps felt.

There are some real blowhards on here that claim to know our history, but they really don't.

We wanted "The Great Entertainers" back. That was the appellation we had back in the Glory, Glory years. One of the greatest quotes to come from that era came from Danny Blanchflower;

“The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It's nothing of the kind. The game is about glory. It is about doing things in style, with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom.”

Win, lose or draw, anyone who thinks we're not being entertained needs to have their bumps felt.

There are some real blowhards on here that claim to know our history, but they really don't.
I'd love to see Ange going full Russel Crowe/Maximus on the moaning cunts.

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED"

You're a hard person to please. Do you really think another manager would have Spurs in a better position just now?

He's introducing a different style of football, intergrating new players and developing existing players, whilst making a decent attempt at winning the league.

After last season, and then losing Harry Kane and not replacing him, I would have thought most Spurs fans would be happy with a top four finish as a position to build on for next season.

Ok the top four finish isn't yet guaranteed, but it's looking quite possible.
Where did I say I wasn't pleased with him? The guy saying he wasn't a fan then claimed that we were winning the games we should win, we'll there's 4 that we should have won and in fact lost, throw Chelsea in for good measure and it's 5.

I'm happy enough despite that, just seems strange to me that someone saying they aren't a big fan would claim that were winning all the games we should be.

Where did I say I wasn't pleased with him? The guy saying he wasn't a fan then claimed that we were winning the games we should win, we'll there's 4 that we should have won and in fact lost, throw Chelsea in for good measure and it's 5.

I'm happy enough despite that, just seems strange to me that someone saying they aren't a big fan would claim that were winning all the games we should be.
Firstly, apologies for using the term "cunts" it wasn't meant to cause offence.

You said you weren't a big fan, but...

...some people say everything before the "but" is bulshit.

As you know I'm not a Spurs fan per se, but I am an Ange fan and I think he's doing a great job so far.

Are there managers out there that could have Spurs in a better position just now? Possibly.
Are there managers out there who could have Spurs in worse position?

Recent history says there are.

I have a few mates who are Spurs fans and my prediction at the start of the season was top 4 and a cup final.

The cup final is gone, but top 4 is still on.

My one dissapointment with Ange is he didn't seem to take the League Cup seriously. Had he done so, the cup final might have happened

The football is a step up from what we had before.
Difficult to predict, how well the team can do in time, they do offer up chances and space behind ,that allows them to be opened up easily.
Not convinced he can ever win the league but, with good fortune one of the cups is possible.

Indeed, It's likely to fail against counter attacking teams like Brentford, we've only been caught out and our defence been in 6/s7/s against these sort of sides, against Liverpool, City, Ars our defence didn't look that flustered, the issue against those teams was playing out from the back as theire pressing structures are fenerally very good.
Theyre 2 goals were udogies individual errors. Cut them out we beat the smaller teams

You said you weren't a big fan, but...

As you know I'm not a Spurs fan per se, but I am an Ange fan and I think he's doing a great job so far.

Are there managers out there that could have Spurs in a better position just now? Possibly.

I have a few mates who are Spurs fans and my prediction at the start of the season was top 4 and a cup final.

My one dissapointment with Ange is he didn't seem to take the League Cup seriously. Had he done so, the cup final might have happened
All the staff are in sync. The players are 100% onboard. Even Pierre wants to stay and do battle. The fans sing Ange's anthem every game. We haven't seen this sort of unity in a fair old amount of time. He's doing a grand job.

When he came in I was afraid he would be like Bielsa at Leeds. Come in, exceed expectations, play exciting football, people love his personality, then the league adjusts and the results fall off. To a much lesser extent now than when he was hired, that's still my concern. The best thing and the worst thing about a person is usually the same thing. Love his confidence, and it has created an air of excitement about Spurs. But is he so sure of himself and his system that he won't be able to make changes to it when we play the top teams and the best competitions? Finally, you can build a system based on outscoring the other side and get to top six if you have the talent and resources (Spurs do). But to get to top 4 and contend for the top spot you also have to manage games and stop the other side scoring. That is the question that still hasn't been answered. All that said, I was wrong about him when he was hired, I've been wrong all through the season, and with any luck I'll be wrong with him right through to when he wins it all with Spurs. :)
Great Post!

You have presented a response that demonstrates a thoughtful and nuanced perspective on the current situation at Spurs.

Initially expressing concerns based on past experiences with managers like Bielsa, you highlight the potential for initial success followed by a decline. And it was a good exploration of the balance between confidence and adaptability.

From a psychological standpoint, self-assurance and the positive impact it can have on a team's morale and performance is important.bBut... you also reference the need for flexibility in the face of tougher opponents and competitions, which is a valuable point.

It's easy to assume "blind confidence," but don't think his confidence is naive - you've got to acknowledge Ange's 30 years of experience and acumen. In the business world, adaptability and the ability to pivot strategies when necessary are crucial for long-term success, and it seems the coach's confidence is well-founded. He's clear on his values, and they are non-negotiable.

I'm Australian, and when I read the post, and I may have misinterpreted, there is is still a waft of, a sentiment of, the belief that the EPL is the best league in the world, and that any 'unproven' coach may not fully understand what he's in for. I find that sentiment naive as well, but not unexpected.

Ange has been auditioning for this for years...in the end, it's still a game of football, and he is a shrewd coach.

One another note - context is important - to think that the team has regressed to the mean (ie: not won as many matches as they initially did, based on 'new tactics being worked on by teams' - doesn't take into account a) injury and b) personnel - what we would call in Australia - 'list-demographic' - which clearly needs improving. That's not the coach, that's the squad.

Cheerio and enjoy the ride :)

You said you weren't a big fan
, but...

No I didn't.

The person I replied to said that, I pointed out in response that it was bizarre to say this but then offer praise for something that isn't true.

The fact that we actually haven't won all the games that we should be winning isn't even a criticism in itself, for one, we outplayed the opposition multiple times and yet lost, and secondly, no team does that! If we had won all of the games thst we " should" win, then Liverpool would be sat in second eating our dust.

There was a spell of 5 games where we lost all 4 that we "should" have won, and the only point we took was from the game we had no business getting anything out of on paper.

No I didn't.

The person I replied to said that, I pointed out in response that it was bizarre to say this but then offer praise for something that isn't true.

The fact that we actually haven't won all the games that we should be winning isn't even a criticism in itself, for one, we outplayed the opposition multiple times and yet lost, and secondly, no team does that! If we had won all of the games thst we " should" win, then Liverpool would be sat in second eating our dust.

There was a spell of 5 games where we lost all 4 that we "should" have won, and the only point we took was from the game we had no business getting anything out of on paper.
Sorry my bad , I read it wrong. Stella can be a very good thing, or a very bad thing

This will go down like a shit sandwich ...

But I really don't think we've been very good for quite a while now

Brentford , Bournemouth and Everton were all wins where we played well in patches but were very fortunate to pick up maximum points

We were very average against Burnley , needed a wonder strike to beat them with a relatively strong team fielded

Utd were dreadful and completely for the taking and we never really looked like scoring a winner

Brighton was a shambles , City was fairly miserable

Of course there are some mitigating factors, the injuries being the obvious ones

But I think we were playing better football when we were losing to villa , west ham etc.

Definitely lots of promising signs but people are in cloud cuckoo land if they think we are ready to seriously challenge for the title over the next few months

This will go down like a shit sandwich ...

But I really don't think we've been very good for quite a while now

Brentford , Bournemouth and Everton were all wins where we played well in patches but were very fortunate to pick up maximum points

We were very average against Burnley , needed a wonder strike to beat them with a relatively strong team fielded

Utd were dreadful and completely for the taking and we never really looked like scoring a winner

Brighton was a shambles , City was fairly miserable

Of course there are some mitigating factors, the injuries being the obvious ones

But I think we were playing better football when we were losing to villa , west ham etc.

Definitely lots of promising signs but people are in cloud cuckoo land if they think we are ready to seriously challenge for the title over the next few months
Brentford was definitely not fortune, it only got hairy cause they were gifted two goals.

Not counting the crazyness of the Chelsea game. The only game we've genuinely deserved to lose was the Brighton match and maybe City away (if they took 1st half chances).

Back
Top Bottom