Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This will go down like a shit sandwich ...

But I really don't think we've been very good for quite a while now

Brentford , Bournemouth and Everton were all wins where we played well in patches but were very fortunate to pick up maximum points

We were very average against Burnley , needed a wonder strike to beat them with a relatively strong team fielded

Utd were dreadful and completely for the taking and we never really looked like scoring a winner

Brighton was a shambles , City was fairly miserable

Of course there are some mitigating factors, the injuries being the obvious ones

But I think we were playing better football when we were losing to villa , west ham etc.

Definitely lots of promising signs but people are in cloud cuckoo land if they think we are ready to seriously challenge for the title over the next few months
We haven’t had most of our best players since November.

Maddison and our CBs just got back but we lost 2 central midfielders, one in Sarr that we don’t have a good enough replacement for.

Our wingers are still mediocre and our best goal scorer has been away for a month.

So its really no surprise we haven’t been as good lately.

Pre-season is going to be wild. Ange will have to look at what he has coming through and make some choices.

Parrott, Scarlett, Veliz, Lankshear, Soonsup-Bell, Devine, Donley, Moore, Hall, Kyrematen ... now we have the new kid as well.

We have never had an Academy anything like this before. Even the Kane/Mason/Townsend group never had this much talent.

Brentford , Bournemouth and Everton were all wins where we played well in patches but were very fortunate to pick up maximum points

We were very average against Burnley , needed a wonder strike to beat them with a relatively strong team fielded

Utd were dreadful and completely for the taking and we never really looked like scoring a winner

Of course there are some mitigating factors, the injuries being the obvious ones

But I think we were playing better football when we were losing to villa , west ham etc.

Definitely lots of promising signs but people are in cloud cuckoo land if they think we are ready to seriously challenge for the title over the next few months
Maybe we are not ready to challenge , we were not ready under Nuno , Jose and Conte . The difference this time is I don’t want to rip my eyes out watching us and I feel that we are progressing, I feel hope . Right now I enjoying watching us play , sometimes only in snatches , sometimes for extended periods. For now that is more than enough for me

Would Big Ange’s KPIs for this season be something like this.

Win something, anything.
Qualify for the Champions League.
Finish above the Arse.

Which order??
Champions League
Win something
Finish above Arse (focus on us rather than what they're doing)

Wolves away we were terrible.

We were. But they never really tested the goalkeeper a whole deal until Sarabia and Lemina in the last minute.

Performance was poor but we could have quite easily snuck 3 points or even 1.

Brighton could have had 5 or 6 if it weren't for Vicario.

Surprised there aren't more in here praising Ange for last night. Aye, first half was really poor, but that happens. What matters is he was brave enough to make the changes required, alter the setup early enough to have an impact, and fire a rocket up the players' arses. This kind of management will win you 10+ extra points over a season.
Under cunte, we'd have kept the same formation, players and tactics and hoped for a 1-1. So nice to see a manager do something and have an impact.

I think it’s a fair point.

Purely from a points won perspective, which is really all that matters come match day 38 isn’t it.
Last 10 games we are worse than West Ham. Not quite as bad as Chelsea though.

First ten games we were the best team in the league in terms of points.

So as long as we reproduce the form we started the season with when we had a full strength* team there is no reason we can’t push Liverpool and city.

And the last 6 games we have one less point than Liverpool and 3 less than city. It’s not all doom and gloom.

You just need to fill up your glass, go and drink half of it and see what you have left.

(*Plus Richarlison looks much better now after his surgery and we have better options off the bench now)

This is mostly true, I don't think you'd find many fans arguing against it. As others have said, there are obvious extenuating circumstances for this e.g. our ridiculous injury crisis and Asia Cup/AFCON. What's positive is despite not being at our best for a while now we've still kept pace in the league. That's what gives me hope that we can finish the season as strongly as we started it, and if we do that, why couldn't we be challenging come May?

Last edited:

Not surprised the resident gooner gave you a like on this one!......😂

I think it’s a fair point.

Purely from a points won perspective, which is really all that matters come match day 38 isn’t it.
Last 10 games we are worse than West Ham. Not quite as bad as Chelsea though.

First ten games we were the best team in the league in terms of points.

So as long as we reproduce the form we started the season with when we had a full strength* team there is no reason we can’t push Liverpool and city.

And the last 6 games we have one less point than Liverpool and 3 less than city. It’s not all doom and gloom.

You just need to fill up your glass, go and drink half of it and see what you have left.

(*Plus Richarlison looks much better now after his surgery and we have better options off the bench now)

We can literally chart our form this season by the injuries can't we?

Keep injury free (although oppositions being allowed to kick us all over the park will test this) and we should improve, especially when Son is back. Without him I still fear for goals unless we tidy up at the back. Everton away will be a good test without him, especially as they have had an extra day's rest.

Would Big Ange’s KPIs for this season be something like this.

Win something, anything.
Qualify for the Champions League.
Finish above the Arse.

Which order??
A few people might have been happy with these at the start of the season
1) avoid relegation
2) finish better than 8th
3) move Dier onto something better for everyone
4) handle the media
5) get the players on board
6) acknowledge that supporters are the lifeblood of the club
7) appoint a captain of note
8) get some spunk back in the back office
9) get Levy focused on football outcomes
10) play some attacking football and show that there is improvement
11) build depth in the squad

Reckon he’s passed his probation review with HR then. I’d love to hear what he said when asked “so Angelos, what do you consider your weaknesses to be…, don’t worry, everything you say is confidential’

Let's be honest, our expectations for the season completely rewired after the first few games, but let's not forget that most of us would have been very happy just with signs that we were improving, a finish in the top 6/7, and the mood in the club changing. The fact we're now even discussing a title challenge, or more likely the possibility of 3rd, despite the unprecedented injuries we've suffered, is totally remarkable.

Let's be honest, our expectations for the season completely rewired after the first few games, but let's not forget that most of us would have been very happy just with signs that we were improving, a finish in the top 6/7, and the mood in the club changing. The fact we're now even discussing a title challenge, or more likely the possibility of 3rd, despite the unprecedented injuries we've suffered, is totally remarkable.
Absolutely
Wouldn’t have seen Ange picking up MoM in his first season either, let alone 3 on the trot.

It just goes to show the power of a good start too.

For too many years we have fucked around in august in terms of transfers in and out. Then start slowly, look disjointed and throw away a possible 3-6 points.
Quite often those 3 - 6 points would put you in a very different position cone May.

I hope to fuck the hierarchy understands this now.

Back
Top Bottom