Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Think thats all pretty valid. We do look very vunerable at times and good sides will exploit that. One thing i would say though is i think our 2 best performances this season were away at Woolwich and Man City.
I think the bit in bold is key. It's not actually against the "big" teams I fear Angeball will fail; if anything his style is the only way we will actually go toe to toe against these sides instead of sitting in and praying for a goal on the break. The teams I think Angeball struggles against are the really well-drilled compact sides who hit quickly on the break and play for set pieces, like a Brentford or a West Ham. When we learn to manage those games we'll be some force.

I think the bit in bold is key. It's not actually against the "big" teams I fear Angeball will fail; if anything his style is the only way we will actually go toe to toe against these sides instead of sitting in and praying for a goal on the break. The teams I think Angeball struggles against are the really well-drilled compact sides who hit quickly on the break and play for set pieces, like a Brentford or a West Ham. When we learn to manage those games we'll be some force.

Indeed, It's likely to fail against counter attacking teams like Brentford, we've only been caught out and our defence been in 6/s7/s against these sort of sides, against Liverpool, City, Ars our defence didn't look that flustered, the issue against those teams was playing out from the back as theire pressing structures are fenerally very good.

Indeed, It's likely to fail against counter attacking teams like Brentford, we've only been caught out and our defence been in 6/s7/s against these sort of sides, against Liverpool, City, Ars our defence didn't look that flustered, the issue against those teams was playing out from the back as theire pressing structures are fenerally very good.
Yep, and even then we've only played to our best in spells against these teams. The Emirates from about 60 minutes onwards, the second half of the Ettihad. Liverpool it's hard to say because of the sendings off, but we started that one very strongly.

Last Friday is a good example of how badly it can go against the top sides if we're not on it, unable to break the press and disjointed from back to front.

Still lots to work on, but I've got absolutely no doubts Angeball is what can take us to where we want to be.

Agreed. His changes and no doubt talk at HT won us the game.

What really concerns me is less the conceding goals (Udogie has been brilliant and is young), and more the fact we aren't penetrative enough, don't mix up our approach enough, and in the end, don't score enough goals vs our possession and control of games. Getting that part right, will take us from the battle for 3,4,5th to battle for the title material.

I'm inclined to agree that we need an elite right winger in the team.
An elite RW that can come deep and create from there. Absent that another creative player in the mould of Madders who can get the ball to the wingers, which is what we are failing to do at times.

Think thats all pretty valid. We do look very vunerable at times and good sides will exploit that. One thing i would say though is i think our 2 best performances this season were away at Woolwich and Man City.
We look vulnerable because we stupidly give the ball away in dangerous positions, not so much because of our style of play. Cut that out and that's a bunch of goals that we can avoid.

Also, the defense hasn't properly gelled yet. Just look at the fist goal that Brentford scored yesterday where Cuti and Micky couldn't decide who should cover whom. We'll get better as we go along, so I am not super worried. We'll still concede goals, but not like now and that will be the difference between a loss/draw and a draw/win. After all, absent the Chelsea fiasco and Brighton, we have not lost by more than one goal.

When he came in I was afraid he would be like Bielsa at Leeds. Come in, exceed expectations, play exciting football, people love his personality, then the league adjusts and the results fall off. To a much lesser extent now than when he was hired, that's still my concern. The best thing and the worst thing about a person is usually the same thing. Love his confidence, and it has created an air of excitement about Spurs. But is he so sure of himself and his system that he won't be able to make changes to it when we play the top teams and the best competitions? Finally, you can build a system based on outscoring the other side and get to top six if you have the talent and resources (Spurs do). But to get to top 4 and contend for the top spot you also have to manage games and stop the other side scoring. That is the question that still hasn't been answered. All that said, I was wrong about him when he was hired, I've been wrong all through the season, and with any luck I'll be wrong with him right through to when he wins it all with Spurs. :)

True, but he inherited a team which tried very, very, very hard to do this exact thing. More than anything else! And yet, failed to do so, more often than not. We have kinda sorta managed a fair few matches, while staying true to principles. I'll absolutely take that for now, in what should have been a transitional season.

True, but he inherited a team which tried very, very, very hard to do this exact thing. More than anything else! And yet, failed to do so, more often than not. We have kinda sorta managed a fair few matches, while staying true to principles. I'll absolutely take that for now, in what should have been a transitional season.
Absolutely agree, and I'm impressed how quickly he's managed all the turnover.

That was true for Brentford especially in that early game. That got outside wide on the counterattack and looked good.

We look vulnerable because we stupidly give the ball away in dangerous positions, not so much because of our style of play. Cut that out and that's a bunch of goals that we can avoid.

Also, the defense hasn't properly gelled yet. Just look at the fist goal that Brentford scored yesterday where Cuti and Micky couldn't decide who should cover whom. We'll get better as we go along, so I am not super worried. We'll still concede goals, but not like now and that will be the difference between a loss/draw and a draw/win. After all, absent the Chelsea fiasco and Brighton, we have not lost by more than one goal.
England job
England or maybe Juve /PSG then Spain on the next cycle

Yep, and even then we've only played to our best in spells against these teams. The Emirates from about 60 minutes onwards, the second half of the Ettihad. Liverpool it's hard to say because of the sendings off, but we started that one very strongly.

Last Friday is a good example of how badly it can go against the top sides if we're not on it, unable to break the press and disjointed from back to front.

Still lots to work on, but I've got absolutely no doubts Angeball is what can take us to where we want to be.
Man City are the only team that have made us really struggle to play out because they press more aggressively than anyone else. When we did get out of it we just picked the wrong pass and gave it away. Every other team has looked a wee bit less aggressive with their press and that’s why we’ve dominated every other game possession wise. That is a sign that teams are frightened to really come after us because they know we will pick them off. Man City have complete and utter belief they are the best and go for you.
Watching games I feel we give the ball away in the middle third quite a bit trying to break the lines and that’s when teams can hit the space in behind and hurt us. When that happens we can be quite open because of where Porro and Udogie play. Having VDV back makes this less of an issue because of his recovery pace but I think we need to accept we will always give teams chances. The more we keep the ball and play the right pass the less we give away. It’s high risk and there’s not a lot of room for error but it’s far better to watch than being a team playing with everyone behind the ball and trying g to counter. Hate that type of football.
The way we play is what we have been screaming for for 5 years now so let’s enjoy it.

Every village needs at least one heretic.

giphy.gif

We lost at home to Villa and Spam despite outplaying them, threw away 3 points at a very average Wolves, and got pretty well humped at a Brighton equally as ravaged by injuries as we were at the time...

The bit you do claim to like seems a pretty flawed view at this stage.
You're a hard person to please. Do you really think another manager would have Spurs in a better position just now?

He's introducing a different style of football, intergrating new players and developing existing players, whilst making a decent attempt at winning the league.

After last season, and then losing Harry Kane and not replacing him, I would have thought most Spurs fans would be happy with a top four finish as a position to build on for next season.

Ok the top four finish isn't yet guaranteed, but it's looking quite possible.

Back
Top Bottom