Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So... first of all, I am not at all in "Ange out" camp. That would be mental at this situation. Every manager needs time. Time to implement his style, time to change the squad to his liking etc. So everything that follows is nothing more than some ventilating and few observations/things to keep an eye out between now and end of the season.

- one major issue right now that has been pointed out too - teams know how to set up against us.
Play deep line to take room for Son/Johnson/Werner to run behind the line.
Keep the middle part of the field in your own half overcrowded, so that Spurs players cannot turn with the ball.
Always let them move to wings, cause more often then not delivery is lacking and there is little heading ability from attackers. Biggest issue with it are low-balls that could be converted to own goals.
Attack directly and on the counter, when Spurs have lifted all the lines high.
Rinse and repeat.

And it works. Just look at our recent run of games. It works like a charm. I am absolutely sure that all of the sides bar Woolwich, ManCity, Liverpool and Chelsea in the remining fixtures will use this approach.

- another major issue is - our midfield in 2nd half of the season has been clearly sub-par
it means that it cannot do much of anything - not providing enough defensive cover, not moving the ball quickly and decisively enough to open up room for attackers, not pitching in with goals themselves either. Though in all honesty this is amplified due to reason number 1 - as teams defend deeper, even if midfield tries to move ball quicker, it is more difficult than in the start of the season.

- and like this is not enough - we tend to shoot ourselves in foot by giving easy goals keeping opposition in play with some regularity
and this too amplifies the first issue - if we give weaker team the lead, their lines will drop even deeper to invite pressure on themselves. This can be seen from the Newcastle game too - while it was 0:0, there was some real tension in the game. Could swing both ways. Then we let them score, and this time even two in the row. And from there on it became EXTREMELY comfortable game for them. Could have scored 6th and 7th before us opening scoring.

- though I believe it is partly impacted by lack of suitable players to the way Ange wants us to play
I mean, it has been repeated to no end - this system relies on wingers to create room, chances and goals. But in order to be effective in EPL (and to increase Madders efficiency too) - we also need a vocal point/targetman in the front line too. But here is the thing - we don't have those kind of players.
We could play Deki as "winger-target-man" who keeps the ball upfield. But then we immidiately sacrifice the directness from one wing. But if we have no such player in front line (and THIS ROLE Son cannot fulfill) and we saw it in Newcastle game, how not having a single forward player that ball properly sticks to will affect our game. Other issue in this department is Werner. Though it was not easiest of chances, if he'd have clinical finishing on him and he would have put away Johnson early cross - it would have been a different game. But he cannot finish nor create chances to himself.

But not to just point out issues, I have also some ideas that could change those factors -

OPTION 1 -
Play Deki as central targetman with instruction of feeding Son and Brennan with as early balls as possible.

So basically-
------Son------Johnson-----
-----------Deki-------------
----Madders--Bentancur--
--------Biss/PEH---------

OPTION 2 -
Play with 2 number 10's and 2 finishers; which would at least put Son in position that suits him best, and would put Deki in more natural position too (keep saying - he is good player, but not a RW in Ange system). But the ball has to move faster with more player exchanges in that setup in order it to work. Also defenders could not centrally focus on just Son, but also have Johnson to worry about.

So basically -
-------Son-Johnson---------
--Madders----Deki--------
---Bentancur/Sarr---------
-----Bissouma/PEH ------

So... first of all, I am not at all in "Ange out" camp. That would be mental at this situation. Every manager needs time. Time to implement his style, time to change the squad to his liking etc. So everything that follows is nothing more than some ventilating and few observations/things to keep an eye out between now and end of the season.

- one major issue right now that has been pointed out too - teams know how to set up against us.
Play deep line to take room for Son/Johnson/Werner to run behind the line.
Keep the middle part of the field in your own half overcrowded, so that Spurs players cannot turn with the ball.
Always let them move to wings, cause more often then not delivery is lacking and there is little heading ability from attackers. Biggest issue with it are low-balls that could be converted to own goals.
Attack directly and on the counter, when Spurs have lifted all the lines high.
Rinse and repeat.

And it works. Just look at our recent run of games. It works like a charm. I am absolutely sure that all of the sides bar Woolwich, ManCity, Liverpool and Chelsea in the remining fixtures will use this approach.

- another major issue is - our midfield in 2nd half of the season has been clearly sub-par
it means that it cannot do much of anything - not providing enough defensive cover, not moving the ball quickly and decisively enough to open up room for attackers, not pitching in with goals themselves either. Though in all honesty this is amplified due to reason number 1 - as teams defend deeper, even if midfield tries to move ball quicker, it is more difficult than in the start of the season.

- and like this is not enough - we tend to shoot ourselves in foot by giving easy goals keeping opposition in play with some regularity
and this too amplifies the first issue - if we give weaker team the lead, their lines will drop even deeper to invite pressure on themselves. This can be seen from the Newcastle game too - while it was 0:0, there was some real tension in the game. Could swing both ways. Then we let them score, and this time even two in the row. And from there on it became EXTREMELY comfortable game for them. Could have scored 6th and 7th before us opening scoring.

- though I believe it is partly impacted by lack of suitable players to the way Ange wants us to play
I mean, it has been repeated to no end - this system relies on wingers to create room, chances and goals. But in order to be effective in EPL (and to increase Madders efficiency too) - we also need a vocal point/targetman in the front line too. But here is the thing - we don't have those kind of players.
We could play Deki as "winger-target-man" who keeps the ball upfield. But then we immidiately sacrifice the directness from one wing. But if we have no such player in front line (and THIS ROLE Son cannot fulfill) and we saw it in Newcastle game, how not having a single forward player that ball properly sticks to will affect our game. Other issue in this department is Werner. Though it was not easiest of chances, if he'd have clinical finishing on him and he would have put away Johnson early cross - it would have been a different game. But he cannot finish nor create chances to himself.

But not to just point out issues, I have also some ideas that could change those factors -

OPTION 1 -
Play Deki as central targetman with instruction of feeding Son and Brennan with as early balls as possible.

So basically-
------Son------Johnson-----
-----------Deki-------------
----Madders--Bentancur--
--------Biss/PEH---------

OPTION 2 -
Play with 2 number 10's and 2 finishers; which would at least put Son in position that suits him best, and would put Deki in more natural position too (keep saying - he is good player, but not a RW in Ange system). But the ball has to move faster with more player exchanges in that setup in order it to work. Also defenders could not centrally focus on just Son, but also have Johnson to worry about.

So basically -
-------Son-Johnson---------
--Madders----Deki--------
---Bentancur/Sarr---------
-----Bissouma/PEH ------
a few things you miss out,
Son has never been a biss-bash CF, and anyone looking at any matches (videos) he played when Kane was out will see, So why didn't the manager & coaching team understand that (not looking at how the player has played in past seasons is a crime in my eyes)

we never play the early ball over the top, (one thing that Son is good at) when Remero gets the ball you can see (pn TV) that one or two of the front 4 are making defence splitting runs But Remero doesn't see or isn't looking for that movement WHY? that is something our coaches should be using, not all the time but it forces their defenders back *more space for midfield to work) when Remero is still just outside out box (aka what Toby gave us in matches)

Most of our problems are from pissing about with it in our own third against half-decent pressing Premier League teams who only do the basics.

Why does it matter if Hojberg or Bentancur start or not? They will still both be told to make a risky pass that isn't on, lose it, and they would never dare under any other manager.

It's swings and roundabouts because we are still on the same points under Conte. For me, Werner and Johnson don't do enough defensively either.

We basically expect VDV and his hamstrings to bail us out every time 1 v 1, which is fine if you are Sir Alex or Pep, and have a treble winning squad around him or can magically replace him with Stam or Stones.

Yeah that’s funny. He got that right.
I’ve been hearing quite a few bits of the Eric Dier interview where he says Ange does next to no tactical work in training.

That’s not a great agenda, sometimes those sort of comments take on a life of their own. Perception becomes reality etc.

He’ll probably start to get asked about that, if he hasn’t already.

Yeah when I heard it I immediately thought, that will be taken out of context. He goes on to explain what Ange does differently, which sounds completely fine and different to conte, who did “tactical work”, which was them standing around on the training pitch in position against a shadow XI. I suspect I know which is preferred by the players!

The played the clip on TalkSPORT yesterday hoping for it to be derided but instead Martin O’Neill said he didn’t do much tactical work and neither did Brian clough 😂 so it can’t be a bad approach!

Most of our problems are from pissing about with it in our own third against half-decent pressing Premier League teams who only do the basics.

Why does it matter if Hojberg or Bentancur start or not? They will still both be told to make a risky pass that isn't on, lose it, and they would never dare under any other manager.

It's swings and roundabouts because we are still on the same points under Conte. For me, Werner and Johnson don't do enough defensively either.

We basically expect VDV and his hamstrings to bail us out every time 1 v 1, which is fine if you are Sir Alex or Pep, and have a treble winning squad around him or can magically replace him with Stam or Stones.
While not agreeing on all of your post, I am with you on DvD. We put enourmous responsibility on him and his speed, in the way we play

As a supporter -right from the get-go
a few things you miss out,
Son has never been a biss-bash CF, and anyone looking at any matches (videos) he played when Kane was out will see, So why didn't the manager & coaching team understand that (not looking at how the player has played in past seasons is a crime in my eyes)

we never play the early ball over the top, (one thing that Son is good at) when Remero gets the ball you can see (pn TV) that one or two of the front 4 are making defence splitting runs But Remero doesn't see or isn't looking for that movement WHY? that is something our coaches should be using, not all the time but it forces their defenders back *more space for midfield to work) when Remero is still just outside out box (aka what Toby gave us in matches)
angeball doesn't permit Romero to ping it to Sonny. Thats considered a long driven pass - a no no

Nope most of our problems are from turnovers high up the pitch

As a supporter -right from the get-go

angeball doesn't permit Romero to ping it to Sonny. Thats considered a long driven pass - a no no

Not seen it from him under any of our managers.... Perhaps it's just not something he's especially good at.

Everybody is overthinking this.

This is a club that is settled and stable in a range between 3/4th to 8/9th. We can have a season as bad as last year and still finish in that range...

If Ange isn't as good as we hope, we will still be in that range. We could probably hire 98% of managers out there and still be in that range.

Just watch us for what we are and see where it takes us. IMO the concept is different and the execution has been the best football I can remember at times and other times as bad as any games in recent memory. It's such a no brainer to ride it out until next season and see if the good games become consistent and Ange is in the 2% of managers that can break our glass ceiling. And if he isn't... so what, we'd have been where we are anyway.
Far too realistic and sensible a post, what's wrong with you, man???

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Back
Top Bottom