Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’d say we are in a better position than at almost any time over the past couple of decades. Just happens that a few of the clubs around us are too. Unfortunately we can’t just improve year on year, we need to catch the ones above us too, which is a huge leap.
Financially then i'd agree. Playing staff wise i dont think so. I'm not seeing many Carricks or Berbatovs. Keane and Lennon would get in this side. Thats before you start on the 15-18 side. Its a massive leap to catch those above us and we might not do it but i'd like to at least see the intent.

Don't disagree with that, I've always said conte was spot on. CL qualification is seen as a good season . There's no pressure from the top be champions.

They've never won nothing, they're used to it here. Not playing for something, playing without pressure :conteshock:
Whilst I don't agree with his timing and felt he held out too long to say everything he said was true and still is true imo.

And here it is. This is too easy. Ffs I worked this out, inverting both fullbacks will not work long term. Its too easy to exploit. It's not a personnel issue it's inherent flaws out weigh the good.

Every:thumbup:formation:thumbup:can:thumbup:be:thumbup:countered, it's not that deep.

You have the right players/profile then this doesn't become an issue.

People put way too much stock in formations/tactics man.

I guess that’s what every team will do. It’s easy.
If you think it's easy then you don't understand elite football. It doesn't have to be 'easy' for it not to be compatible with garnering enough points to win a title which is my concern. This utterly faithbased idea being punted 'if the players lose belife it won't work' is hillarous. It won't work if it does not provide enough defensive security to keep clean sheets period no matter how much you believe.

I wonder how long the unquestioning loyalty to an untested idea will last, I'm going to put a clock on it. I don't think the players have lost an iota of 'belife' think there was full buy in at Fulham Newcastle Chelsea. Wow all this talk of belife its like Kevin Keegans back.😏

This thing about “yes, it’s all well and good doing it in Scotland” is getting boring now. To be fair, yes, Celtic are one of two dominant sides in that league. So he’s a step ahead there. But it’s only a step.

Celtic have lost the same number of matches this season as City and Liverpool. One less than Woolwich. Goal difference isn’t spectacularly better. The gap between the top two and the rest in Scotland is the same as the gap between the top three and the rest in England. The Scottish league is more competitive than people seem to realise. And if it’s not, it’s certainly comparable to the top division in England.

Yes, Celtic are the top side in Scotland, but they aren’t so far ahead of the competition as many believe. A step up on where we are as a club, but only a step. If Ange’s tactics and style of play can work there, it certainly could work here too.

Nah. Not true. In Scotland you don't have Unai Emery managing the fourth placed side. You don't have the likes of Ancelotti rocking up at fucking Everton. Things that work in Scotland won't work in England, the quality of tactics is much higher, coaches here aren't impressed or scared by an intense press or a high line, you need more variation.

None of which is to say that Ange can't work here, but the same tactics used as Celtic would not work in England. There aren't random mid-table teams in Scotland like Brighton with a De Zerbi in charge and a team of top internationals. It's a completely different level in all senses, someone like Potter going from Ostersund to England shows this. His ideas were unique there, he's ten a penny here.

Nah. Not true. In Scotland you don't have Unai Emery managing the fourth placed side. You don't have the likes of Ancelotti rocking up at fucking Everton. Things that work in Scotland won't work in England, the quality of tactics is much higher, coaches here aren't impressed or scared by an intense press or a high line, you need more variation.

None of which is to say that Ange can't work here, but the same tactics used as Celtic would not work in England. There aren't random mid-table teams in Scotland like Brighton with a De Zerbi in charge and a team of top internationals. It's a completely different level in all senses, someone like Potter going from Ostersund to England shows this. His ideas were unique there, he's ten a penny here.
Spot on. No matter how unpalatable for some, and for the record I am as far from a 'little Englander as is possible to be' but Emrey is a perfect example because Steven Gerrard was his predecessor and succeeded in Scotland. There are coaches here of such quality that it's not at all equitable. Fulham and Bournemouth have coaches levels above what StMirren and alike can call on. Stephen Robinson and Derek Mcinnes ...no it's not equitable at all now .

Last edited:
People put way too much stock in formations/tactics man.

GrXoiogxXGzRA6np3KwgvVvAPxm7PpryuO_rNNRZSe4wnbej941nZrRvnyjh_mnuPuk3i6rHsuPMhHhrAlnlcQLgFrK9vpKetRmTTOCb8ACYyboR2yHbT1d8_PK2ILop_zoyJWndyW6crNUNRTGAbsExfatDp6gbMO4

Back
Top Bottom